Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to hide or display command names in the Ribbon panels

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
katie1994
2714 Views, 15 Replies

How to hide or display command names in the Ribbon panels

I am learning how to customize the ribbon in LT 2012 and am stumped a to why some of the commands have a name displayed in the panels and some don't. When I select the command in the CUI and check the Properties, there is always a "Command Display Name" listed. Not a big deal but for my sense of symetry I would like to have them all on or all off.

Thanks for any advice on this puzzle.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Charles_Shade
in reply to: katie1994

Custom Panels?

Custom Commands?

All Autodesk Panels and Commands?

Message 3 of 16
pendean

If you only have one command in the Row of that Panel, the image for that command gets larger and it's name shows up.

If the row has two or more comamnds, no name appears.

I guess you could elminiate the COMMAND DISPLAY NAME entry, but I would not recommend it.

Message 4 of 16
katie1994
in reply to: pendean

I added a few commands to the Modify panel in the Home tab. Move, Copy, Stretch, etc all  have the name of the command beside the button. Offset, Trim, Extend, Break, etc, don't have a name, just a blank space beside the button. I currently have 4 subpanels and 5 rows of commands.

Message 5 of 16
Charles_Shade

Check the particular command that you moved at the Panel and see if the name is there in the CUI.

Message 6 of 16
pendean

Undock your Ribbon, park it in the middle of your screen, widen it. Now what do you see?

Rows, in the primary panel and in sub-panels, need to have more than one command assigned. If you only have one command, you get the name. It's a simple rule.

Since you have the Ribbon on the side you are manually affecting the true display by choking it with the limited width: you must widen the Ribbon to see the actual names/no-names you have, or narrow it to hide the remaining displayed names. Just like Toolpalettes, the narrower they are the more your force the program to hide the true display you have.

Feel free to experiment, keep it undocked and don't get distracted by how you are forcing the program to compensate for lack of space.

Message 7 of 16
katie1994
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I was checking in the CUI to compare differnces in the commands and noticed that in the Properties section (right lower panel) under Appearance>Button Style it says "SmallWithoutTxt." For the commands that show the name is says "SmallWithText." I changed them all to read 'SmallWithText" and they all appear in the panels.

You can also change the name that appears by typing in a new/altered name on the Command>Command Name line. 

Message 8 of 16
pendean

Even better.

Message 9 of 16
Charles_Shade

For so many who look for drawing real estate and efficiency of how many buttons can I put on the Ribbon you are the first I've known to want to loose that space to text.

Message 10 of 16
pendean

25" widescreen, I got plenty 🙂

Message 11 of 16
katie1994

I don't want to add to the clutter, but just want consistancy. At the very least I would like to label commands that are new to me until I learn to recognize them. And I find the various Layers commands difficult to distinguish.

Message 12 of 16
katie1994

I am using a 25" MacPro so I have lots of room for displaying buttons. Maybe that is why I am having difficulty with all the hidden and nested commands in the Ribbon. With all of this visual real estate I could display them all!

Message 13 of 16
Charles_Shade

32" Sharp Aquos and 20" Acer Widescreens

(Oh, and I'm 4'3" tall)

Message 14 of 16
pendean

32"? Wow!

I tried dual-screens with (2) 25" widescreens: way too much real-estate to keep track of, I felt like I was watching a tennis match.

Message 15 of 16
Charles_Shade

The acer "looks" about half the size of the Sharp. I keep AdCenter, Properties, and Command line on it so the views are not competing but I understand what you mean.

Although now that I'm getting older the type on the acer seems to keep getting smaller. Maybe two big monitors is not such a bad idea.

AND the Sharp is about 4' away from me on a corner desk so I do not go blind.

Message 16 of 16
pendean

I figured you would be wearing 'shades' (pun intended).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost