AutoCAD LT General Discussion

Mentor
katie1994
Message 1 of 16 (910 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to hide or display command names in the Ribbon panels

910 Views, 15 Replies
09-26-2011 07:45 AM

I am learning how to customize the ribbon in LT 2012 and am stumped a to why some of the commands have a name displayed in the panels and some don't. When I select the command in the CUI and check the Properties, there is always a "Command Display Name" listed. Not a big deal but for my sense of symetry I would like to have them all on or all off.

Thanks for any advice on this puzzle.

I was checking in the CUI to compare differnces in the commands and noticed that in the Properties section (right lower panel) under Appearance>Button Style it says "SmallWithoutTxt." For the commands that show the name is says "SmallWithText." I changed them all to read 'SmallWithText" and they all appear in the panels.

You can also change the name that appears by typing in a new/altered name on the Command>Command Name line. 

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 2 of 16 (909 Views)

Re: How to hide or display command names in the Ribbon panels

09-26-2011 08:11 AM in reply to: katie1994

Custom Panels?

Custom Commands?

All Autodesk Panels and Commands?

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 3 of 16 (902 Views)

09-26-2011 09:12 AM in reply to: katie1994

If you only have one command in the Row of that Panel, the image for that command gets larger and it's name shows up.

If the row has two or more comamnds, no name appears.

I guess you could elminiate the COMMAND DISPLAY NAME entry, but I would not recommend it.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Mentor
katie1994
Message 4 of 16 (894 Views)

09-26-2011 10:26 AM in reply to: pendean

I added a few commands to the Modify panel in the Home tab. Move, Copy, Stretch, etc all  have the name of the command beside the button. Offset, Trim, Extend, Break, etc, don't have a name, just a blank space beside the button. I currently have 4 subpanels and 5 rows of commands.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 5 of 16 (887 Views)

09-26-2011 01:09 PM in reply to: katie1994

Check the particular command that you moved at the Panel and see if the name is there in the CUI.

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 6 of 16 (885 Views)

09-26-2011 01:19 PM in reply to: katie1994

Undock your Ribbon, park it in the middle of your screen, widen it. Now what do you see?

Rows, in the primary panel and in sub-panels, need to have more than one command assigned. If you only have one command, you get the name. It's a simple rule.

Since you have the Ribbon on the side you are manually affecting the true display by choking it with the limited width: you must widen the Ribbon to see the actual names/no-names you have, or narrow it to hide the remaining displayed names. Just like Toolpalettes, the narrower they are the more your force the program to hide the true display you have.

Feel free to experiment, keep it undocked and don't get distracted by how you are forcing the program to compensate for lack of space.

Mentor
katie1994
Message 7 of 16 (883 Views)

09-26-2011 01:26 PM in reply to: Charles_Shade

I was checking in the CUI to compare differnces in the commands and noticed that in the Properties section (right lower panel) under Appearance>Button Style it says "SmallWithoutTxt." For the commands that show the name is says "SmallWithText." I changed them all to read 'SmallWithText" and they all appear in the panels.

You can also change the name that appears by typing in a new/altered name on the Command>Command Name line. 

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 8 of 16 (880 Views)

09-26-2011 01:27 PM in reply to: katie1994

Even better.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 9 of 16 (872 Views)

09-27-2011 05:29 AM in reply to: pendean

For so many who look for drawing real estate and efficiency of how many buttons can I put on the Ribbon you are the first I've known to want to loose that space to text.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 10 of 16 (867 Views)

09-27-2011 06:05 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

25" widescreen, I got plenty :smileyhappy:

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.