Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change the BLOCK basepoint withouth moving them in model space

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
Anonymous
22309 Views, 30 Replies

How to change the BLOCK basepoint withouth moving them in model space

Hello,

As the title say, how can i change the basepoint parameter of a certain block withought moving them in its model postion.

Im working in this project and that has 1000 of block objects. I dont know what happen but im always setting my basepoint parameter on the center of the circles.

Regards,

Rov

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

So you have a Block that you wish to Redefine but you do not wants this to affect all the other Blocks currrently in the drawing?

You could RENAME the Block that is currently in the Drawing and then bring your redefined Block in.

Message 3 of 31
maxim_k

Hi Rov,

If you are asking about changing insertion point of all block insertions in a drawing, you can open this block in Block Editor and move everything inside block so, that your preferred insertion point will be aligned with 0,0 point inside Block editor.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 4 of 31
Charles_Shade
in reply to: maxim_k

Careful when doing as suggested above that if there are any Dynamic Actions in the Block that any Stretch Frames are still accurate.

Message 5 of 31
pendean

Wouldn't the block move? The OP wishes to avoid it.
Message 6 of 31
maxim_k

Yes, block insertions will move.
In such cases at first I draw temp line in the drawing from current ins point to new ins point, than after changing ins point in Block editor, I use Quick select to select all block insertions and move them from old position to new using temporary "vector" from first step.
There is also small chance that some block insertions have negative scale value (-1) in X or in Y- than there will make additional work in placing blocks back.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 7 of 31
Anonymous

Thank you for the replies, i tried all of the suggestion. I found some lisp file that can change the basepoint but it wont work on LT.  I have to do it in old fashion way buy. Lessoned learned though. Thanks again you can close this post.

Message 8 of 31
AcadAdamLT

I have an idea that could work, use a flip parameter with a flip action attached, place it in between the current base parameter and the position where you want it to be, select the basepoint parameter for flip and then save block close,

mark all of your block objects with Qselect, properties > set flip action to "1", it should move the basepoint parameter without moving the block, atleast I think it will, might be worth a try.

Sorry for the wall of text, in a hurry! ^^

Good luck!

PS: You don't need to have the flip parameter grip visibile, it's enough to have it in properties, use it one time and done.

"Workaround"

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 9 of 31
Bob_Zurunkle

Perhaps OP could leave the insertion basepoint as is, and add a new point with a move action. This would give a second grip to the block, so existing blocks would remain in their current positions, and new blocks would have a second backup grip...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 10 of 31
Anonymous

Honestly, there's not much that can be done to avoid this, I'm pretty sure. But there's a very quick solution. After you change the insertion point, click on one of the blocks, right click and "select similar" and move one of the blocks to a point where you know it should be, and the others should all move into their proper place, as well.
Message 11 of 31
Gangula2

But this wont help if the some of the blocks are mirrored or rotated. Is there any other solution?

Message 12 of 31
pendean
in reply to: Gangula2

Sadly there is no automagical fix to this problem. The User has to decide to:

1) Move the base insertion point of he block once and for all and go around fixing all thew positions.
OR
2) use one of the many workaround being offered.
OR
3) create new blocks for instances where you need the basepoint to be somehwere else, plus a block for "mirrored" and a block for "rotate".
Message 13 of 31
Sofia.Xanthopoulou

Hi @Anonymous,

I guess post 12 from @pendean is the bitter truth. In order to help other user to benefit from the results of this discussion please mark post 12 as solution to this thread. 

Thank you

Message 14 of 31
Gangula2
in reply to: pendean

In that case, the best possible solution i could find is from the "Lee Mac Programming". It gives you the choice to either retain the Insertion Position or the Block Reference Position.But i'm not sure if it would work with Autocad LT

Message 15 of 31
pendean
in reply to: Gangula2

No LISP/ARX in LT: Lee Mac Programming's tool is not for LT, all part of the discounted pricing that is LT.
Message 16 of 31
Anonymous

Hi, To change the base point of a bloc without moving it just follow these steps:

1- Copy an instance of the bloc (Let's call it B1)

2- Explode It

3- Create a new Bloc with the exploded objects (Let's call it B2)

4- Choose the desired based point

5- Select B2, copy it with Ctrl+C

5- Open B1 in the bloc editor

6- Past B2 with Ctrl+V 

7- Draw a line from one point (Let's call it Pt1) to any point on the screen on B1 (It is only for a reffrence point)

8- Erase all objects from B1

9- Move B2 from a point to Pt1 (If old objects of B1 are there, B1 and B2 will overlay)

10- Close bloc editor

11- Now select B1, right clic and clic "select similar" command (This will select all instances of B1)

12- Clic explode

13- Done

NB: If your bloc is a dynamic bloc, you will loose your parameters

Message 17 of 31
rbicigoR2VPK

Use Lee Mac's Justify Block Basepoint.

http://www.lee-mac.com/justifybasepoint.html

Thanks to Lee Mac

Message 18 of 31
pendean
in reply to: rbicigoR2VPK

One more time...

There is no LISP/ARX in AutoCADLT where you are posting: Lee Mac Programming's tool is not for LT, all part of the discounted pricing that is LT.

Message 19 of 31
gotphish001
in reply to: pendean

I know it's old but since it's revived anyway.  What if you did this? In the block editor draw a line from 0,0 to where you want the new base point to be. Move the block to the new base point of 0,0 then cntl-x the line you added. Save block. All blocks will shift in your drawing. Paste the line you cut. Select one of the blocks, use select similar, then use move with displacement point at one end of your extra line to move all your blocks to the other end of that line. All the blocks should be were they were before. Unless it's a dynamic block that's been altered it should save some time of moving all the blocks or am I just crazy.

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 20 of 31
pendean
in reply to: gotphish001

You probably should read all the earlier responses, TLDR situation for sure and I understand hat: it was covered and/or someone decided not to do that for obvious reasons of having blocks shift all over the place.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost