Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you open multiple drawings in separate AutoCAD windows?

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
architec-tor
77611 Views, 30 Replies

How do you open multiple drawings in separate AutoCAD windows?

Currently when I open up multiple drawings (opening them up one at a time) they all appear in the same window (one instance) of AutoCAD.

I want each drawing to open in separate instances so I can view them on separate monitors (and close one without being asked to close them all).

I have tried changing the SDI system variable from 0 and 1 (and vise-versa)

I have tried changing the windows default program from AutoCAD Application to AutoCAD Launcher (and vise-versa)

I have set the TASKBAR system variable at both 0 and 1 (and vise-versa)

Windows 7 

AutoCAD LT 2012

Thank you for your help!

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: architec-tor

Unfortunately i cannot help you but i can reveal that i had opposite problem in my previous Acad LT version, 2009. I.e. when i opened files outside from Acad they were each opened in separate Acad. Now this is "fixed" and after update to 2012 version, all are opened in same Acad.

I tried to solve that issue but i wasnt successfull. After Acad update it just changed.

Message 3 of 31
pendean

You will need tos tart each instance of AutoCAD first, then open a file.

Or assign the DWG file type in Windows Explorer to the ACADLT.EXE file and not the ACLAUNCHER.EXE file (opposite of what the other fellow's problem/fix was) and only ever open open files in Windows Explorer works for some but not all users.

Realize you will spend a lot of time moving application Windows around.

An alternate option is to span AutoCAD/LT across both screens then stagger the DWG Windows inside it to display side-by-side, then only use OPEN command to open files. Creating a quick button to display side-by-side would be an option with this method.

Message 4 of 31
architec-tor
in reply to: pendean

Dean,

I have set the Windows Explorer application to acadlt.exe (once selected it is displayed in the windows "chose file" as AutoCAD LT Application).

Having selected this option, however, this does not allow me to open mulitple instances of AutoCAD. I have tried expanding the AutoCAD window across both desk tops, but find this arrangement complex and difficult to manage.

My previous version of AutoCAD LT 2010 was able to open multiple intsances and I would like to revert back to that option if possible.

Thankks again.

Message 5 of 31

TASKBAR =0

SDI=1

Should be all you need. Works here.

Message 6 of 31

Thak you, Charles!

This seems to have worked!!

A little thing that seems inconsequential (but a pain in the a$$) is that now a *third* AutoCAD drawing opening up now  simultaneously with the drawing I click to open. This drawing assigns itself a new name called "Drawing 1."

This drawing is a useless balnk template that I don't want being created every time I open a drawing. Is there any way I can stop this new drawing from being created?

THANKS AGAIN!

Message 7 of 31

Close one drawing then set the SDI perhaps?

Then go to My Docs and open the next drawing.

This should open another instance of LT

Message 8 of 31

OPTIONS, Files tab, Template Settings, Drawing Template File Location: Remove the entry here if it points to a file.

And read up on FILEDIA

2 may be what you seek as well.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Did you edit your last post from yesterday? The answer I left makes no sense to what you now have posted there. The previous asked why SDI was not allowed to be set when two drawings were open not what you have now.

Another item to remember is that now eveytime you open a drawing a new session of AutoCAD will start. You need to close AutoCAD and not the Drawing when you want to Open a new drawing and remain at two sessions

Message 9 of 31

I mislead yesterday.

The variable should be STARTUP ; not FILEDIA though that will play a role.

Message 10 of 31

I am still getting the "dummy" instance of AutoCAd still opneing up - a drawing called "drawing 1".

I set the TASKBAR to 2, SDI to 1, and STARTUP to 2.

Thanks for your help!

Message 11 of 31
Irish2

Using LT2011 I simply right click on the LT icon in the tray at the bottom and have gotten up to 6 instances of autocad running. Didn't set or reset anything.  

Message 12 of 31
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Irish2

Right click a drawing file.

Choose Open With

Then Choose Program...

Waht is highlighted here? Launcher or Application?

Launcher is the default program here.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 13 of 31
Irish2
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Application seems to be my default.

Message 14 of 31
architec-tor

Now I have a "dummy" instance of AutoCAD opening up along with my target drawing when I start double click a drawing file...I had this problem once before but it came back after a full reinstall of my OS...I went back to my original post with this problem and made the adjustments but nothing seems to be working.

Message 15 of 31
Charles_Shade

Did you try changing it to Launcher?

Message 16 of 31

Yes, but a "dummy" (black blank) autocad application opens up before the target drawing.

Message 17 of 31
pendean

Autodesk recommended uninstall and reinstall procedures:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=10243968&linkID=9240617 

Message 18 of 31
architec-tor

AutoCAD is running fine. It's just that now I'm getting a "dummy drawing" again when I open an existing drawing. This was an issue that I've previously had but attempted "fixes" are not solving it this time...

Message 19 of 31
nvneto

If I set:

TASKBAR = 0
SDI = 1

Means I have two drawings running on the same AutoCAD session or each design runs on a separate session?

Thank you!

Message 20 of 31
senthil.d

how do you open multiples of dwg file in one autocad window in autocad lt 2016.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost