Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I setup a Summa S2 Class D140 plotter with AutoCAD?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
IT_ScottGroupStudio
2288 Views, 12 Replies

How do I setup a Summa S2 Class D140 plotter with AutoCAD?

Hello.  We currently do not use AutoCAD but are looking to move to AUTOCAD LT from VCADD.  We do own a couple of licenses as more and more of our customers communicate to use using autocad files.  We have Summa S2 Class D140 printer, and I can't seem to find a way to add them or plot to them.  In VCADD I simply point to the IP and off it goes.  Can anyone lend assistance?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Install it in Windows so that all applications in Windows can print to it.
Now AutoCAD can use it too.

Or are you trying to do something else?
Message 3 of 13

No, that is what I am trying to do. But they don't have a windows printer driver. So there is not a way to setup in windows, unless I am missing something?

James Golden

Systems Administrator

scott group custom carpets

3232 Kraft Ave SE Grand Rapids, MI 49512

P 616.954.3200 F 616.954.9600 C 616.328.1838

jgolden@scottgroup.com

scottgroup.com

The content of this email is classified as Scott Group Custom Carpets, Inc. confidential and proprietary information.
Message 4 of 13

http://summa.eu/

Click on Support, and then I assume it's Cutters you want after that.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 5 of 13

Thanks.

I don't think I was clear. There does not exist a windows printer driver for these plotters. Summa doesn't make one. I know very well how to setup a printer in windows (download driver, install it, etc...) as I have been a systems administrator for 15 years. I am looking for information on how to print to a printer from AutoCAD that does not get configured in a windows environment. Or if you prefer, How to print from AutoCAD directly to the printer (i.e. ip address), not through windows.

In our current version of CAD we can print in two ways. One is the normal print function, where the printer is configured in windows. The second is to plot the file (not print), here we bypass the windows drivers and send the commands directly to the plotter using their preferred language (HPGL2, DMP, etc...).

We recently switched to Summa printers, and we are looking to switch to AutoCAD. To make that happen we need to figure out a solution here. It appears AutoCAD has a convoluted printing infrastructure, unlike I have seen before. Seems strange considering they are the big boys on the market. Printing should be the simplest function of a CAD program.

If you know of a way to accomplish print to a printer from AutoCAD to a printer that can't be configured as a "windows" printer, please let me know.

Thanks for the help so far.

Sincerely,

James Golden

The content of this email is classified as Scott Group Custom Carpets, Inc. confidential and proprietary information.
Message 6 of 13

Printing in AutoCAD is pretty simple, little different than any other Windows application.  If you can't get a Windows driver (which in itself is somewhat astounding...), then you can't print directly to it from *any* application.  You could try printing to DWF or PDF, then sending those but again, if there isn't a Windows print driver how would any application print to it?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 13

Here is the deal: the plotter manufacturer has to provide you with a driver. Whether it's a Windows driver, or AutoCAD specificdriver or whatever.

So contact their support and ask: how do I plot from AutoCAD? You either need a Windows driver, or an AutoCAD-specific HDI/PC3 file driver from Summa. They will provide you with installation instructions.
Autodesk does not write drivers for plotter manufacturers, it just carries some generic drivers from old systems before Windows was invented. That's how the big-boys do it, everyone takes care of their end of the business 🙂

"http://summa.eu/
Click on Support, and then I assume it's Cutters you want after that."
Message 8 of 13

Thanks, That is the information I was looking for. It is a finger pointing game for me here. They say that most major cutting software can print to their printer. So they throw you to the software vendor, and it seems the software vendor is throwing me back in their direction.

I thought the same thing as you, in that the ones who make the printers, make the drivers. So I was a little surprised at their response. I am new to using plotters so I took what they said for granted.

Thanks again,

James Golden

Systems Administrator

3232 Kraft Ave SE Grand Rapids, MI 49512

P 616.954.3200 F 616.954.9600 C 616.328.1838

jgolden@scottgroup.com

scottgroup.com

Message 9 of 13

This forum is exclusively end users helping other end users: we are working people just like you, no one works for Autodesk.

Here is what I found in less than a minute with a Google Search. Help yourself, it would appear you are either communicating with an unhelpful soul over there or that company doesn't care about customers:
https://www.summausa.com/support/?tab=2#S2andSClassDSeries

I see many drivers, mostly for Windows. Do your thing.
Message 10 of 13

Thanks for looking, but there are no printer drivers there. Manuals, firmware, even a USB driver no printer drivers. I've looked there many times. Their support is good, I worked with them to find a solution. I can't make it work directly from AutoCAD. The only way is to save to .DXF file and then open the file in their "winplot" software. Then I can print/plot.

Thanks, again.

James Golden

Message 11 of 13

Sadly, if that's all they offer then that's all you can do. Dig around and explore their site, they seem to offer a lot to help yourself.
We don't have your device so my testing would be pointless, and I'll try to help more but I'm not going to read through everything on that site for you 🙂
Message 12 of 13

No offense meant, but did you actually read the user guide? Did you list the correct model? So you actually have this cutter installed? Are you reading any of the material posted?

You don't plot or print to this device, you export to the few file formats it supports and it's software does the translation and then the cutting.

You and your contact over there need to get back I'm touch and set up sw training classes on how to use their equipment.

Wow! 🙂
Message 13 of 13

This is an old post, but I'm quite triggered with the replies. From what I understand the original poster wants to print directly to the cutter. Summa, being quite outdated in the software side, only provide a USB cutter driver not a printer driver which the latter can provide flexibility in using the cutter. The USB cutter driver AFAIK only works with WinPlot software and it is very limited.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost