Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please - importing pdf and creating .dwg/.dxf

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
371 Views, 2 Replies

Help please - importing pdf and creating .dwg/.dxf

Hi all! I can get through ACAD well enough to create simple 2D drawings so my knowledge is limited.  We are trying to take a simple component that was made out of 16 ga sheetmetal and importing a pdf of it into ACAD for the purposes of creating a .dwg/.dxf file to send to a waterjet shop to reproduce this for us hundreds of times over.  So far this is what we've done:

1.  Scanned actual part into scanner.  Painted it black with a piece of paper on top of it for good contrast.

2.  Attempted to import into ACAD.  I found a post here advising to import via XR command.

3.  I have the pdf in the new .dwg file....black object with a white rectangular (page-sized background).

4.  What I need to do now is to somehow 'trace' the outline of this component (outline is all arcs of varying lengths and radii - looks like an irregularly-shaped teardrop).  I'M STUCK.  I think I can trace it with a polyline but is there a 'smarter' way to do this?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I found this freeware worked well to convert a .pdf to a .dwg in AutoCAD LT 2013.

http://anydwg.com/

Message 3 of 3
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

There is no conversion option inside AutoCAD: you'll need to buy a 3rd party solution.

Ortherwise "tracing" is just drafting in CAD: you have to know all your AutoCAD commands and how they work to use them. There is no magic trick.

Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost