Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Acceleration issue

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
jerconcelos
2041 Views, 16 Replies

Hardware Acceleration issue

Hi everyone, I'm having a bit of an issue here. I've had the same computer for a fair bit of time at work here and the hardware has not changed, however I did get a recent upgrade to Windows 7 about a week ago. I noticed that there was a fair bit of "lag" when I was drawing lines with dynamic input on, so I turned it off to help with the situation in the meantime, but the issue of hardware acceleration is a weird one. For some reason, even though the same hardware is present, I can't get AutoCAD LT 2012 to even detect my video card. The drivers are installed properly, as noted in the device manager in Windows, and I understand that an onboard Intel chip isn't exactly the greatest, but the point is that I had it working for Windows XP without a problem... it just seems weird that with an upgrade to Windows 7 that it would just not work anymore.

Under my display adapters in the device manager it lists "Inter(R) HD Graphics", and the driver version is 9.17.10.2932, which when I click the update driver button claims to be the most up to date driver. What's strange is that AutoCAD isn't detecting anything at all for my 3D Device... I'll copy paste the Performance Tuner Results Log:

Performance Tuner Results Log
Version: 19.0.2.00
Date of Last Tune: 2013/11/01

Machine Configuration
---------------------
Processor Speed : 3.4 GHz
RAM : 3971 MB

3D Device
---------
Name : N/A
Manufacturer : N/A
Chip set : N/A
Memory : N/A MB
Driver : N/A

Hardware acceleration is not available because not enough video memory is available.

Current application driver: Software

Current Effect Status:
----------------------
Enhanced 3D Performance: Not recommended and off
Smooth display: Not available
Gooch shader: Software emulation in use
Per-pixel lighting: Not available
Full-shadow display: Not available
Texture compression: Not available
Advanced material effects: Not available

Available application drivers and effect support:
-------------------------------------------------
Software driver
Effect support:

Enhanced 3D Performance: Not applicable
Smooth display: Not applicable
Gooch shader: Software emulation only
Per-pixel lighting: Not applicable
Full-shadow display: Not applicable
Texture compression: Not applicable
Advanced material effects: Not applicable

Autodesk driver: Not Certified

Effect support:

Enhanced 3D Performance: Available
Smooth display: Not available
Gooch shader: Software emulation only
Per-pixel lighting: Not available
Full-shadow display: Not available
Texture compression: Not available
Advanced material effects: Not available

I'm not sure what else I need to say to make this matter more clear, so if there is any additional information needed, please let me know. But, otherwise, I'm stumped. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
pendean
in reply to: jerconcelos

>>>... I did get a recent upgrade to Windows 7...<<<
That may the reason: remove it? It's considered a change, you can't expect things to remain the same if there is a change. Right?

If not an option for some reason, is there a performance hit if you do not have hardware acceleration on? Most users with low end graphics specs never notice the difference.
Message 3 of 17
jerconcelos
in reply to: pendean

There's a huge performance hit, it's quite noticeable. It was noticeable even in windows xp, but I was able to turn on the hardware acceleration and it was fine.

I can't actually remove windows 7, it's a work computer and I have no choice in the matter as our entire network is being upgraded.

Message 4 of 17
pendean

Not "remove WIndows 7", just the update that broke LT: why would I ask you to remove Windows?
Then turn off automatic updates: ask your IT how to do so.

Also, please ensure your LT version is fully updated and patched. it may help/

Message 5 of 17
dgorsman

Just so we're all clear on what you are saying: you had Win XP, it was *replaced* by Win 7.  Is that accurate?  If so, then its not merely an upgrade.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 17
jerconcelos

The only update that occured to "break" the hardware acceleration was the upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7, so I thought that's what you mean. Apologies, I didn't know what you meant.

How do I know if my version of AutoCAD LT 2012 is fully updated and patched?

Message 7 of 17
jerconcelos
in reply to: dgorsman

Yes, exactly. I guess I should have worded it differently, but you are correct. I'm now running Windows 7 when before, when Hardware Acceleration was working properly, it was on the same machine but with Windows XP.
Message 8 of 17
pendean

I then also misunderstood.

LT2012 works fine in Win7: but it must be correctly installed and not 'left in place' when Win7 was installed.

Autodesk recommended uninstall/reinstall procedures are as follows
Uninstall: http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS45252

Ensure the user installing/uninstalling and using the product have enough rights to do so (install and reinstall as local administrator):
Unable to run AutoCAD® as a restricted user http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS1055299

More complete .NET fixes if you did not go through this procedure:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/NET-Framework-Cleanup-Tool-for-Unhandled-Except...

Download 2010 through 2014 software (if needed):
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=21889745&linkID=9240617

Message 9 of 17
jerconcelos

Thanks for the reply. I'll go through those in order, so it makes a bit more sense:

1. When I installed Windows 7 on my PC, it was done fresh, which means there was a complete format of my PC and I definitely installed AutoCAD LT 2012 fresh, as well.

2. It was definitely done with admin privileges, so I don't think that's the issue at all.

3. The .NET was an issue at first, but after downloading and installing to the newest version available, there were definitely no .NET errors.

4. I am in the process of downloading those right now, so hopefully it will help. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for your help with all this, so far. Much appreciated.
Message 10 of 17
pendean

I should have also noted: changing OS also changes hardware support options in AutoAD/LT, so what used to be supported in an older OS may no longer apply in a new OS.

So you may need different draphics card drivers (newer or older, there is no set rule) or an entirely new video card/driver set (hopefully from the approved list).
Message 11 of 17
jerconcelos

Sorry I haven't had the chance to get in touch with IT for admin privileges in order to download autocad from the links you had mentioned above. I'll definitely get back to you as soon as I can do that, though it might be a couple of days. Thanks again for your help, and although the matter is still unresolved, you've been a great help so far.
Message 12 of 17
jerconcelos

Just as an update, I am still having nothing but problems with hardware acceleration. I've downloaded AutoCAD LT 2012 from the links provided above and used my serial to activate, and that went smoothly. I downloaded and installed the latest Intel drivers, which were released back in August of this year, I believe... and after updating my drivers and installing the latest version of autocad lt 2012, I am still unable to turn on hardware acceleration.

I really don't know what else to do. Seems weird that it would work with windows xp and then when I install windows 7 on the very same computer, it stops working properly. Weird.

Message 13 of 17
jerconcelos

So does this mean no one cares anymore? Haven't had any replies to my latest updates in a few days now.
Message 14 of 17
Charles_Shade

Yes it is weird that the change in OS has left a peristant problem with yout LT 2012 software.

This is peer support and if we had something for you to try we would have done so.

Sorry to keep you waiting.

Message 15 of 17
pendean

So dramatic LOL

No Answer means there isn't one yet: nothing more, nothing less. Figure out more info to share until something clicks with someone. Or try a drastic fix as suggested by others if you can't wait anymore.
Message 16 of 17
jerconcelos

Didn't mean for it to come off as dramatic, just figured if there was nothing anyone could do that it would have been said by now, is all. I'll keep checking back.. if it were my home computer, I'd have played around with more drastic options. But because it's a work computer, I probably shouldn't be playing around with anything too crazy haha... You've pretty well been the only person suggesting anything useful though, Pendean, so there haven't been a whole lot of drastic options out there. Wish I could just buy a cheap video card that I know for sure is supported for the sake of having a faster AutoCAD... but again, work computer. 😕
Message 17 of 17
pendean

Ask your office "IT" person to reformat the HD and reinstall all the apps (after they back upa ll of your files of course).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost