Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS Path mapped need to place a symbol over each point

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
nathanro15
432 Views, 5 Replies

GPS Path mapped need to place a symbol over each point

So I have imported a path of GPS points and have them mapped in autocad where I want them, what I now need to do is place a symbol (a circle with an M in the middle of it) over each dot. I have the symbol as a separate layer but know no easy way to add this symbol to each dot so that the dot is in the centre of the circle. I can simply copy and paste the symbol and drag manually to each dot but this will take forever as there is over a thousand dots and accuracy of the dot being centered would not be spot on. Any help?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: nathanro15

There is no easy way to do it: but it helps if your 'symbol' was a BLOCK with the insertion point placed where you would want to have it replace the dot. So when you use INSERT the block is immediately ready to be placed over the dot (assuming that's a POINT object) using the NODE running Osnap.

If you must use the lunky COPY?PASTE method, then actually use COPYBASE command (CTRL+SHIFT+C) to select the exact placement point of your 'symbol' so that when you PASTECLIP it back in (CTRL+V) it's ready to be accurately placed without this 'drag manually' cumbersome method you write about.

Now, if you actually used a BLOCK for your DOT, and not a POINT object, INSERT command has the ability to replace one block with another block quite easily. But you did not elaborate.
Message 3 of 6
nathanro15
in reply to: pendean

The path of points is a block with the individual points in that block, the symbol is also a block. Do I do this in block editor? I understand what you mean but am not entirely sure how to do it as am very new to autocad.

Message 4 of 6
pendean

Assuming both insertion points for both blocks will accurately match where you want them to be (this is important, you must verify this)...

Use -INSERT command (there is a dash in the name, type it) follwoed by SYMBOLNAME=DOTNAME and answer yes when AutoCAD tells you that DOT exists.
Now you have a block with the name DOT but it looks exactly like the SYMBOL block: you can use RENAME to fix it all or give it a new block name.

Try it on a dummy file and see if you like this idea. if not, you can recreate and redefine the DOT block using BEDIT command.
Message 5 of 6
nathanro15
in reply to: pendean

Do i type this in block editor for the block of dots? When i follow this it asks whether I want to redefine "new block" (the block name for the path of dots) because it already exists. 

Message 6 of 6
drjohn

@NATHAN wrote:

Do i type this in block editor for the block of dots? When i follow this it asks whether I want to redefine "new block" (the block name for the path of dots) because it already exists. 

It already exists because you just made one called new block.  In the save dialog, simply rename the new block to another name. new block-01 ... new block-02 ...   etc ...  or get creative and call it something that is significant to what it does. Perhaps rather than a dot, call it a Benchmark or a monument .... whatever.

Regards,
DJ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost