Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General moans about AcadLT2012

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
jserink
466 Views, 9 Replies

General moans about AcadLT2012

Hi All:

Ok, i"m just going to core dump here, am a ACADLT2002 user that upgraded to ACADLT2012.

Its been frustrating.....My productivity has dropped through the floor, most of my block library has problems, every one of the blocks that that have TT fonts in them are all screwed up. This is a MASSIVE editing job to fix.

The help in 2012 is now almost completely useless! The search is shocking, it comes up with nothing. AcadLT2002 it used to work, you put in a term, it gives you the answer....this new help first locks the system up as it tries to go to the internet. Threads? Then disable the on line stuff in the options and it opens a web browser, for what? Why do I need to use a web browser for help?

Never mind, I try and turn off the absolutely annoying autohighlighting feature, put autohightighting in the search and get gobs of garbage back.

What is this?

So then I google and learn its called selection preview.....shouldn't autocad's help have that? What if I was in tim-buck-too with no internet? Ok, turned it off.

Copy:

The new and improved copy, by default, attaches a ton of cargage to your objects from previous versions of Acad. it doesn't ask you if it should do it, it just does so when you try a copy to move a block from one drawing to another, your Acad appears to lock up, its just hung as it tries to copy all this crap onto the clip board that it decided you now need. I thought the thing was crashing, put in a support case etc... No, it was just busy...once I deleted all the extra scales and layer fiters that Acad added the copy works fine, but....

why does copying something lock the system up....threads?

Threads....Acad developers, you do know about threads?

I'm sure after relearning tons of stuff I might get productive again but it seems to me that Acad has taken a page right out of Microsoft's palybook here....upgrades are to be dreaded because so much has to be relearned.

I knew this was going to be painful....an it is.

John

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Charles_Shade
in reply to: jserink

SELECTIONPREVIEW

Ever wondered why the idiots could put together such garbage and call it a program?

I do that withe every program I have ever used - Until I learn how to use it.

Huge learning curve from LT 2002 to LT 2012. Not in how to draw or what a LINE is,

But in how the program interfaces with you. This will take time to get used to.

Use the Ribbon - it is worth the investment in time.

TT Fonts - Could it be your Font is not the same?

Did you also get a new Computere with the upgrade?

COPY - Known issue that the Copy/Paste function is not working properly beteween drawing files.

You may need to type OPTIONS and then hit OK for this to work as you need.

Also set OBJECTGRIPLIMIT to its max, somewhere around 32,000

What are the specs of your OS and Computer?

Some of this reads like a low end PC issue.

Scalelist Problems and Layer Filter problems are ussies with files generelly created with 2006 to 2010 software. Did you have files created in the versions?

Though since you have found the solution this is likely moot.

Why not ask for help before getting so frustrated?

This is a very active and helpful public Forum.

I dare say you will find little else like it (and that does include many other Autodesk Forums) that are

as virbrant (note the Orange) as this one.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 3 of 10

Here's a hint...search these forums for a treatise called Speed up AutoCAD. If you are on a newer OP you may want to disable the Aero theme. One of the biggies is to set SAVEFIDELITY to zero. When you are ready you can learn all about the Sheet Set Manager, Dynamic blocks, Annotation objects, CANNOSCALE, per-viewport linetype and color overrides and so much more, right here in these forums 🙂

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 4 of 10
jserink
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Hey Bob!

My going to follow up on that speed up Acad stuff, absolutely.

There was a questions about my HW platform, I'm running in a Windows x64 VM with 4G of ram and 2 CPUs allocated inside qemu-kvm on gentoo linux all on a Dell M4600 with 16G of ram and a 500G 7200rpm HDD.

The only thing lacking is 3D accel which is not yet supported on qemu-kvm. Apparenetly spice supports 2D but 3D is still a work in progress. I can live with the lack of the accel.

All the windows screen cruft is off. The only display 'nicity' I have enabled is anti-aliasing fonts, everything else is set to max performance. My screen background in the windows VM is the classic turquoise solid color.

Networking is using the tap interfaces, ~12MBytes per second using CIFS (windows networking) and using pure TCP/IP (ftp and such) better than 120MBytes per second.

She's all setup for as max as she can be...inside a VM that is.

Cheers,

john

Message 5 of 10
jserink
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Hi Charles:

These comments of yours:

"TT Fonts - Could it be your Font is not the same?

Did you also get a new Computere with the upgrade?"

Yes, its a new computer but the fonts thing is so obvious and got me thinking...

I copied over the C:\Windows\Fonts directory from the old XP-SP3 VM to a folder in my Win7 x64 VM and went through one by one (its not has hard as it sounds) and out of the 338 fonts in there, I kept the new Windows 7 fonts to enjoy any improvements but there were about 60 that I did not have.

Opened up Acad2012 and and old drawing and voila, all the fonts in the blocks are correct!

BRILLIANT!

Even the ground symbol even though I already had that installed.

Thank you so much!

Cheers,

john

Message 6 of 10
jserink
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Hi Bob:

Just as an experiment, I put this "SAVEFIDELITY" into the Acad2012 help, and it gave me a list of books.

I then went to advanced help and told it to highlight the search terms in the text...exactly the same results.

Now, in AcadLT2002 I enter this and of course 2002 does not know what it is but it spits back things that are close, it does not give me a list of books to read. If 2002 help does have the item, I get a definition of what it is, where to find it in the menu if its there and examples on how to use it. I don't get that in 2012.

In so far as I'm concerned, the help in 2012 is disfunctional.

1. If I click help, I should get a windows help dialog, not a web browser,

2. there shold be an index tap, contents tab, search etc,

3. The help files should be in a nice simple *.chm file.

What Autodesk has done is gone to a Linux style GIMP format where the help is in HTML....except in GIMP, you can find stuff.

Of all things NOT to change, its help. If you can't work help, you're finished. Surely Autodesk has some high priced consultants to explain this to them? Alternativelty, they could just listen to their customer base.

This is mostly why I'm at this forum, the Acad 2012 help is hopelessly broken.

Cheers,

john

Message 7 of 10
Charles_Shade

SAVEFIDELITY

I stopped using Help through the program and only go to online.

Bookmarked so it is easy to find and open.

Being able to Copy / Paste links to the relevant item is why I did that so I'm not too familiar with Help as it works through the program.

I can't say I've had any trouble finding what I need through help; only have trouble understanding the cryptic way that it is written.

But after having written the steps down for a particular Command her I can see where the Help file could grow ten fold if it was not Cliff noted to a certain extent.

Message 8 of 10
marchitect_nc

Just to add my meaningless two cents...The above discussion echos why I decided to stick with LT09 and never upgrade again (unless some level of quality should accidentally surface). I have been amazed at the amount of features that do not work properly from one release to the next. If my practice functioned in such a manner... Yet the madness continues. Don't get me wrong, I truly enjoy using ACAD LT, but at least make ALL the features work properly. If we constantly have to find work around solutions then the software quality is not there. I expect better, and I'm keeping my upgrade dollars in my bank until better is the standard.
Message 9 of 10

In case you wre not aware RegApp, Scale Lists, and Layer Filters have all been corrected in more recent releases.

Multifunction Grips, Layer Tools such as Hide and Isolate and Select Similar functions have been very beneficial.

Enhancements to the Block Editor have been very helpful.

PDF Underlay as well.

These are just things I use but have found that having them now has been beneficial to me and I'm glad that I've moved up.

Most of the complaints registered here have been in regards to how the Command works; not that it is broken.

I'm sure that any one picking up CAD for the first time would find drwing and arc to be overwhelming with the multitude of ways that you can use this Command.

Message 10 of 10
pendean
in reply to: marchitect_nc

This is a "problem" forum for folks with problems and issues to post and seek help: if your clients only looked at your hiccups to judge your work they would pretty much stick with their old go-to services person instead of 'upgrading' to someone new.

LT2009 was good, it fixed a lot of 2008 issues. But LT2010 was better, LT2011 bested it and LT2012 pretty much finalized the toolsets every LT user truly needs to compete with full AutoCAD. LT2013 will reveal itself in due course once everyone has time to use it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost