Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Freeze on "References - Unresolved Reference Files"

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
welshtw
2566 Views, 18 Replies

Freeze on "References - Unresolved Reference Files"

There are several drawings that when I try to open I get a popup message "References - Unresolved Reference Files". The message box is clear with only the border and the description in the blue bar at the top of the message box. AutoCad LT 2011 locks up and I have to do a Task kill. The same drawing can be opened by most of our other users, but some experience the same issue. When AutoCad is restarted, I get a "Drawing Recovery" empty/clear popup message message freezing AutoCad AGAIN, requireing another Task kill. I have to open a 3rd time, and if I had another drawing open, it's gone and doesn't appear to be recoverable. Several of our Users are experiencing the same issue.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
pendean
in reply to: welshtw

Where the files do open, examine how the paths for the Xrefs are saved and try to make them less PC-specific and more universal to all of you. It's likely to be a pathing issue.

You can also try RECOVER command to open your files to see if that helps, start with the XREFs first then the master file last.

Message 3 of 19
welshtw

Thank for the reply. I was able to open the drawing and found that the drawing did have an X-Ref. The drawing came from a vendor and the X-Ref pointed to a drive in their network. X-Ref removed and drawing now opens OK. The more important question is why does AutoCad freeze when this popup window, as well as any other popup window (I believe) arises?

Message 4 of 19
pendean

"freeze" may just be the slow process of it trying to find the missing drive on your PC and network drives, and any aliases and shortcuts it stumbles up. Windows tends to help, dragging along with it unplugged thumbdrives it looks for as well.

As a test, copy a previously problematic file to your own PC, unplug from the network/Internet, and open it: AutoCAD should 'freeze' less and get you in the drawing quicker IF the issue is I describe it.

Message 5 of 19
welshtw

ALL files are problematic. Any command that produces a Dialog Box freezes AutoCad. This happens either connected to our Network or disconnected....no Ethernet, no wireless. The Dialog Box outline appears with the title shown in the blue bar at the top, but the interior of the box is clear and the drawing can be seen through it. With the computer disconnected from and network connectiivity, I left it in this condition for an hour.....still frozen.

Message 6 of 19
pendean

>>>...Any command that produces a Dialog Box freezes AutoCad...<<<

That means your video card driver may be underpowered: start Windows in Safe mode, no video drivers, as a test, and try LT again (painful but it is there to test the theory).

Message 7 of 19
welshtw
in reply to: pendean

OK, I'll do the test, but I have been running 2011 without this issue for several months and this just started happening. The video card is a NVIDIA Quadro FX 770M.

Message 8 of 19
pendean

>>>...this just started happening....<<<

Windows Restore can help remove updates and apps installed to back to a day it all worked, so can a removal and reinstall of LT after you do that if needed.

Autodesk recommended uninstall and reinstall procedures:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=10243968&linkID=9240617

Message 9 of 19
RayCADMan

Were you able to get the issue resolved?  I'm having the exact same toubles with regular AutoCAD 2010.

Message 10 of 19
welshtw
in reply to: RayCADMan

Yes, but since it's over a year ago, I don't remember exactly which step resolved the problem. I know I uninstalled AutoCad and reinstalled. I also downloaded some Service Packs / Fixes from this site. Not sure which one fixed it, but hasn't happened since last year. Good luck!

Message 11 of 19
chris.hahn

I'm getting the same issue on one of my machines. I've uninstalled AutoCAD and reinstalled it. And I'm still getting the freeze on the half drawn missing references dialog box. But I don't get it on any of the other machines in the office when opening the same drawings.

The machine with the issue is running AutoCAD 2010 32bit

Message 12 of 19
pendean
in reply to: chris.hahn

Chek the paths and folder access on the one PC, Windows and LT folders: AutoCAD is hanging trying to resolve conflicts or missing items most likely.

Message 13 of 19
mohan_s

I am also facing this same problem with one of the user having AutoCAD 2011. When he opens a file from server AutoCAD freezes and shows "unresolved Reference file" dialogue box with boundry only. The same file opens with not error's on another PC. All PC confg. are same. I tried it copying the file on desktop for this perticular PC, gives same result with AutoCAD Freeze.  I tried clean uninstall and reinstall autocad, but of no use. 

Then i tried detaching xref. from the file. It solved problem for that file and started with another file. This i dont understand why this happens on one PC and not For other with the same file same configuration.

Thanks

Mohan Suryawanshi

Best Regards,
Mohan Suryawanshi
Message 14 of 19
pendean
in reply to: mohan_s

Path/location of the Xref on one PC may be different from the other most likely: do you all save FULL PATH to each Xref, or Relative or NONE? At it's simplest fix, one PC's drive Z may be another PC's drive Y for example.

Message 15 of 19
mohan_s

If this is the case, my PC is not under any domain or workgroup or connected to LAN. I copyid this file on my PC and it opened without any error on my PC.

Thanks,

Mohan Suryawanshi

Best Regards,
Mohan Suryawanshi
Message 16 of 19
pendean
in reply to: mohan_s

Taking the file out of it's environment removes the problem, so all you did was change the circumstance of the file opening: and where is the XREF with your test? leave it behind or change it's path with your test?

Message 17 of 19
RayCADMan

This is not a "folder path issue".  We have very strict baseline configuration management, including drive mapping, which I checked on multiple machines and verified to be the same.  The error message (which should be a normal function of AutoCAD) is causing the program to hang.  That is an issue with the software.  I had our system admins reinstalled mine and it fixed the problem.  Still don't know what caused it to happen in the first place.

I don't consider this, "resolved", because expecting people to reinstall their software (which is harder for some of us than others) isn't really a solution to the problem.  This is more like an "unfortunate work-around".

Since I reinstalled, I've had a second user encounter the same issue and had to recommend that they also get their software reinstalled.

Good luck to you guys!

Message 18 of 19
pendean
in reply to: RayCADMan

"... I had our system admins reinstalled mine and it fixed the problem..."

Thanks for sharing your fix. Installation and software errors happen, and you fixed it with a reinstall that removed the broken 'item'. Glad it worked out.

Are you able to identify when and what system changes happen prior to the break? usually a sign if the second PC had something change a few days after yours did the same.

Message 19 of 19
RayCADMan

The only thing I can say is that this particular error never occurred prior to our installing AutoCAD 2010.  Before that we were running 2006.  All efforts to determine the cause were fruitless.

As users, we get some errors more than others and their respective frequency/severity tends to dictate the amount of time we spend figuring out their causes/solutions.  In this case, although frustrating from a diagnostic point of view and severe from a downtime perspective, the fact that it has only happened to two users out of fifty or so, puts it on the low end of the priority list.

However, as far as software development is concerned I would think that this type of error would be a concern.

I'm going to go ahead and "accept as solution".

Thanks for your time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

ā€Boost