Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting a Layout

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
marchitect_nc
361 Views, 10 Replies

Exporting a Layout

I like the Export To Model feature except it's usless in its current state. Here's why: it exports the paperspace view of the layout to a new modelspace drawing...but at the wrong scale. It basically just takes a picture of the paperspace view and recreates that in a new modelspace file, ugh. The modelspace scale should be maintained and the paperspace viewport scale(s) maintained. In otherwords it should set up a new drawing with the viewport(s), paperspace layout tab and model space drawing(s) intact and recreated in a new file. 

Any suggestions?

mg

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Why?

If the Layout is not at a 1:1 Scale then why would AutoCAD recreate it that way?

And the Modelspace drawing in the Layout is essentially a picture itself. You are taking a view of the drawing not the actual drawing hence the reason the scales can be altered without altering the drawing entities in Modelspace.

What am I missing in your question?

Message 3 of 11

Hi, 

What is it that you are trying to do?

Message 4 of 11
pendean
in reply to: marchitect_nc

>>>.... It basically just takes a picture of the paperspace view and recreates that in a new modelspace file...<<<
That's how it has always worked. New to this ability or never tried it before? Did you read the description?

Your suggestion assumes we all only have the one viewport at the one scale in a layout: very shortsighted indeed. Your wish list has no merit for ALL AutoCAD users, just you and those that have limited use for a layout.

>>>...Any suggestions?...<<<
SCALE your newly created model, or just WBLOCK what you desire from modelspace and TRIM what is not needed.

Message 5 of 11
marchitect_nc
in reply to: pendean

In my case I have a file with 80 some floorplans in modelspace.

Each individual floor plan has a paperspace layout  associated with it with a scaled viewport. Some of the viewports are scaled at 1"=10' some are scaled at 1/8"=1'-0".

So what I wanted to do was take a specific paperspace tab and create a new file with just that floorplan and the associated layout and viewport. But that doesn't happen. I get a new file with a scaled down floorplan in modelspace with no layout or viewport in paperspace. It's of no use unless I scale it back up to realworld dimensions, but then I still have no layout or viewport. I have to recreate those as well. 

mg

Message 6 of 11

Like Dean said, the easiest way would be a write block of the floor plan and then just insert the layout. A couple of extra steps but the view and scaling would be correct.

Message 7 of 11

Correct sthompson. So now we're back where we started...Export to Model feature is useless...if you have scaled viewports. But if we make the assumption that people only use viewports at 1:1 scale then it works 🙂

mg

Message 8 of 11

Maybe so, but have you ever seen a drawing with a big NTS on it.Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 11
pendean

It's not useless, it just doesn't fit your need since you did not understand how it works in the first place LOL. If you grasp that layouts are paper sizes and scaled viewports, you grasp how exporting the layout works. It's not that hard my friend.

Any other interpretation is just someone mad they have to work at exporting a 1:1 model with an overblown football field sized paper titleblock (now there is an oxymoron) 🙂

Message 10 of 11
marchitect_nc
in reply to: pendean

My layouts in this case are 8.5 x 11. So what do I not get Dean?

mg

Message 11 of 11
pendean

You grasp plenty I know, I just think you're mad there is no shortcut to a snipped WBLOCK of a 1:1 model drawing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost