Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropdown Lists in MText

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
mdruston
1916 Views, 9 Replies

Dropdown Lists in MText

Hello,

I am currently working on making a template for the whole company that would allow all the divisions to use dropdown text in the title block to pick the division, and then the drafter and the person it was checked by. I was wondering if anyone could figure out how to get a dropdown text into mtext. Currantly I have it so that one office, the one I am in, can scroll through the divisions and the people who work here, using a combination of macros and fields. however, the scrolling doesnt seem to work with more people, and it seems like if I did get it so more people were there, it would take a long time. Sorry if this is a conviluted explination, I will clarify if there is need.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pendean
in reply to: mdruston

screenshots of what you are trying to do might help, I could not follow.
Message 3 of 10
hwalker
in reply to: pendean

I think I understand.

eg

1 drawing is from Department A Drawn by B and checked by C

Another drawing is from Department X Drawn by Y and Checked by Z

I don't think Mtext can do that, BUT 3 simple dynamic blocks in would do what you wanted

1st dynamic block can be called Department.

Put in some text in that block

Now put in a visibilty parameter and create a new one. Don't forget to rename the visibility parameters to the separate departments.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 4 of 10
mdruston

To the first response, here are some screenshots. I would like something like what I can make in excel or word.

To the second response, look at the screenshots. Its more along the lines of, say someone is working at office X, then they can chose drafter A, B , or C and checked by A, B , or C. Then someone else is working at office Y, they can pick drafter D, F, or G and checked by D, F , or G. So on.

This is just so that there isnt a huge list of every person's initials.

Message 5 of 10
Charles_Shade

Yes to Howards suggestion though someone would have to stay up and current to the Dyn Blk's as people came and went witht he Company (as you would with the Excel or Word options). You would also need to have these in a central location that could be loaded from a Palette say to keep everyone current.

No to AutoCAD Text Editor doing such a thing. That Editor is not able to replicate your examples.

Message 6 of 10
mdruston
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I am not familiar with how to use dynamic blocks to be honest, I've only recently tried to delve into the world of macros and such. Any recommendations as to how to make this work? I'm the drafting intern at work and just wanted to make some things more efficient in my spare time ha

Message 7 of 10
Charles_Shade

This is a DynBlk that I use that has a drop down (Block Properties Table) and is similar to what you are asking.

It could be expanded to your title block idea.

If you choose not to INSERT the DynBlk into a Drawing then type BE at the Command line. Choose Current Drawing, and the Test Block from the Ribbon to try it out.

Message 8 of 10
mdruston
in reply to: Charles_Shade

That is perfect thanks! Never knew dynamic bloacks could do that! I'll have to learn more about them, so far DESIEL has been time consuming enough

Message 9 of 10
Charles_Shade

Post back when you get stuck.

The Dynamic Block Forum is linked in my signature

Message 10 of 10

Learn something new today. Really helpful. Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost