Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing limits

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
wburradio
13083 Views, 9 Replies

Drawing limits

Please excuse this very basic question- I recently upgraded to AutoCadLT 2011 from 2002.

I would like to draw a floor plan with a model area of approximately 40' X 60'.  I am using the standard architectural template. 

I can draw lines out to these dimensions but if I want to see them the program will not pan over to the full extent- it stops at around 41' in the horizontal dimension.  It only goes up to around 25' on the vertical dimension.  I get an error message that the program has zoomed out to its maximum distance.

How do I increase the drawing size so that I can work on a floor plan for something larger?  I used to be able to set limits in the drawing format but I am unable to find that menu any longer.

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
drjohn
in reply to: wburradio

A shot in the dark here ... after it stops panning have you tried a REGENALL and then trie to continue pannig or zooming?

Regards,

DJ

Message 3 of 10
wburradio

Well, what do you know.  That did it exactly. 

This seems like an odd hack but it did what I needed- thanks so much for the tip!

Message 4 of 10
pendean

Turn off LIMCHECK varianble perhaps, turn on REGENMODE and/or Zoom>Extents just like you did in R2002: nothing has changed in the operation of the program, still works like it always has.

Post back if that did not do it.

Message 5 of 10
drjohn
in reply to: pendean

Is LIMCHECK and/or REGENMODE supposed to stop that behavior? It would be nice.

It doesn't seem to change anything in 2011.  Still have to REGENALL after it reaches the end of the current regened area.

Regards,

DJ

Message 6 of 10
wburradio

I checked the values of REGENMODE (<1> and LIMCHECK <0>.  I believe these are correct.  Problem with zoom out still occurs.

REGENALL opens things up nicely.  But it would be nice to be able to set the drawing space size as the first step when I start the drawing, instead of having to create a really big line, zoom out until I can't see it, and then use REGENALL.  That's why it seems like a hack.

In the old version of the program there was a format menu with an option to set drawing size in real dimensions.  That used to be the first step when working scale. 

Again, thanks to all for posting possible solutions.

Message 7 of 10
Charles_Shade

Just set LIMITS perhaps?

Create a Template to use and not a New drawing each time perhaps?

Message 8 of 10
pendean

You seem to be a casual AutoCAD user: nothing wrong with it, but having to REGEN or REGENALL to move beyond a cached view in AutoCAD has been around since version 1 (and in your R2002). We all have to do it all the time, nothing new has changed and there was no magic setting in R2002 to compensate for it. It is triggered all the time.

Let's see if I can help you with some background details.  The tool you speak of in R2002 was the setup Wizard (it is in LT2011 too): all it did was set up UNITS, angle units (also found in UNITS command), Angle measurement (also found in UNITS command), angle direction (Also in UNITS command) and "drawing area" also known as LIMITS (very old school, no one really does this anymore, this goes back to the days of taking coffee breaks for a single regen on 286 DOS machines). It most likely did a Zoom>All to set the zoom the first time, and I guess you never zoomed in far enough to ever have to trigger REGENALL in the past.

So, two commands are all you ever needed: UNITS and LIMITS.

Start a new drawing from scratch, set those two commands to whatever you want, then save the drawing as a TEMPLATE: now instead of starting always from a blank page and always having to reset the same exact things over and over again, you start with this template. To make it easier, set STARTUP variable to 1 and you'll get a nice pop-up where you can navigate to your template.

And yes, you can make more that one template, and they might as well contain all those other things you need in a file: layers, colors for layers, linetypes, and any other settings.

Post back if you are still stuck. Do make an effort to read all the links I posted above, they all cover these very basic AutoCAD features that should help you get going again.

Message 9 of 10
wburradio

Guilty as charged! 

But LIMITS and UNITS do seem to be the commands that I used to pull down from submenus.  Thanks for this.

And creating a larger space template means I don't need REGENALL each time I start a new drawing. 

I think I"m all set- thanks to all who posted.

Message 10 of 10
ilouk55

Drawing limits sometimes are really annoying.

I have tried setting large drawing limits or set limits OFF but very often I am in the middle of command (lets say COPY), I pick first point and when I am trying to pick next point which is not displayed (so I have to zoom out), AutoCAD just wont let me. So I have to cancel the command, zoom extend, or regen all and then try to do COPY again (or whatever command I was trying to perform).

Does anyone have a remedy for this problem?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost