Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Directory Name is Invalid

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1913 Views, 6 Replies

Directory Name is Invalid

I have a single lic. copy of AutoCAD 2012 LT on a single PC tied to a network server.  Our server crashed and needed to be replaced.  When they replaced the server, they gave it a new name so I had to reset all the file paths to the redirected folders for my PC.  Now I keep getting an error: cannot create temporary file (then shows the file path to the old server).  

I have reset all the file location in the files section of the options box, so I do not understand where AutoCAD is still seeing the old server.  Is there somewhere else in the software that I need to change the file paths?

Jeff Stephens 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

That error is normally triggered when your Windows User log-in temp folder is inaccessible, normally found in the  "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp" directory: is your Windows log-in temp folder somehow being redirected?

Is your Windows log-in as a local administrator, or a limited user account?

If you suspect it's within AutoCAD only, verify none of the TEMP folder entries in OPTIONS>Files tab point to anything other than your local PC (and then only to folders not set to read-only).

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Unfornatually that did not help.  I made sure that all the entrys in "options" were set to the local user folder but I still have autoCAD looking for the original redirected foleder on my old server.  It shows up in the comand line interface as follows:

Autodesk.AutoCAD.Internal.Windows.RibbonContent.get_ContextualTabEvaluator()Syst
em.Exception: Error Compiling Expression: Error Compiling Expression: Cannot
create temporary file '\\sbs\redirectedfolders\jstephens\application
data\autodesk\autocad lt 2012 - english\r17\enu' -- The directory name is
invalid.

The temporary file \\sbs\redirectedfolders\... is the part that no longer exists.  This particular path is not shown in any entry under "Options" so it must be somewhere else in AutoCAD.  This is the part I cannot find so I can change it.

Message 4 of 7
pendean

\\sbs\redirectedfolders\... is a Windows use log-in/Server redirect I believe.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Yes it is.  The name of the server was SBS.  Apparently when AutoCAD loaded some of the files were put in the redirected folder on the server.  I have moved them all to the PC and changed all the entrys in the options>file paths but it is still trying to go to the redirected folder on the old SBS server.  I am thinking that my best solution may be to reinstall as long as the licence file does not direct thing back to the old server.  Does this sound like a possible solution?

Message 6 of 7
pendean

removal and reinstall would appear to be best: I've rarely seen a server redirect "fix" actually work.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks!  I reinstalled and it took care of the problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost