Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Directional Keyboard buttons in Tables

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Brock698
307 Views, 6 Replies

Directional Keyboard buttons in Tables

Hello All.

I have a problem, and I am hoping someone out there can give me a solution. I have a titleblock with a table for the BOM. When I select the block I want to enter text into, the block has a yellow box around it and the table editor pops up. I can click the arrow keys up and the highlighted section goes to the cell above the one it was just on. Down moves it down, Right moves it right, and left moves it left. The problem is when I double click the box to edit the information in the cell. when I double click the box and enter information, I typically am able to push the up key to get to the cell above it. NOW when I push the up key, it goes to the cell to the left. When I push the down key, it goes to the cell to the right.

I am positive that the is either a function or a button or a property that needs to be changed, but I have no idea what it is. Can someone PLEASE help me fix this.

Thank you in advance,

Brock

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: Brock698

can you post the DWG? delete any sensitive info first.

Message 3 of 7
Brock698
in reply to: pendean

Message 4 of 7
pendean

You are working in a TABLE, and tables behave differently than other AutoCAD objects: while editing text, the arrow keys are useless as they default to in-cell editing only.  In MSExcel for example, the equivalent to what AutoCAD is doing would be when you are edting a cell in the editor bar at the top of the program page instead of editing directly in a cell, the arrows become useless.

There is no way AFAIK to do what you want: when editing text, the arrow keys only behave as "previous" and "next" cell buttons with Up/Down arrows, with left/right simply going down; useless.

Until Autodesk adopts some kind of editor bar like Excel I'm not sure the behavior will ever change.

Message 5 of 7
Brock698
in reply to: pendean

I am not sure what you mean by useless because using the up and down arrow keys to get to the cell above or below is EXTREMELY helpful.

The attachement on this post is our TYPICAL titleblock. If you click onto the table, the highlighted cell will have an editor box that allows you to manipulate the table. If you double click one of the cells, the highlight goes away and you are able to edit the contents of the cell. Please note that if you are editing the contents of the cell and push the UP ARROW key on the keyboard, it goes to the cell ABOVE the one you originally double clicked.

I use this on a normal basis. The first attachment provided has something changed with the table and alters the way the ARROW keys are used. I want to be able to switch the original attachment back to the way I have it in the typical titleblock.

thanks,

Brock

Message 6 of 7
Brock698

I figured out what the probelm is. I had changed the text to @Arial Unicode MS. When I changed it back to regular Arial, the table and ARROW keys went back to the Typical usage.

Message 7 of 7
pendean

useless=don't work as I understood you wanted it to work.

Nothing else was meant by it: you read it out of context.

Glad you found a "fix" since it really changes nothing about how tables work, so you must have been talking about something completely different than what I thought it was.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost