Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensions out of scale in Paperspace

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
SteveBrown785
1253 Views, 7 Replies

Dimensions out of scale in Paperspace

I have a serious problem with AutoCAD placing improperly scaled dimensions within viewports.  I have a drawing where half of the dimensions are correctly scaled and the other half are off by as much as 4 times their value.  This occurs randomly without any rhyme or reason- and sometimes occurs whenever a drawing is opened.  I know of a couple of drawings that if I simply open them, a dozen dimensions will scale up to 12x their intended value.  It has happened to everyone on my staff.  We are using LT 2011- but I have had a similar problem using 2004 & 2007 full seats.

Help!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: SteveBrown785

12x is the difference between feet and inches, could this be a units problem?
4x is a little trickier to find a quick answer to, got a DWG sample with the problem?
Are your text and dimseion styles annotative (not available in 2004)?
Does the problem occur after a 2004 user opens and saves the file(s)?
Message 3 of 8
SteveBrown785
in reply to: pendean

We have researched some further and found that not all drawings have the associative & anotative scale factors matching- does this matter?

Message 4 of 8
pendean
in reply to: SteveBrown785

That may be a cause, especially if you share content between the files.
Message 5 of 8
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: pendean

OP some of this sounds like the difference between civil and architectural drawings. Check your units and your drawing units. Did you mean that the same drawing behaves one way on one workstation, but differently on another? Roughly speaking, 10cm relates to 4 inches, so I wonder if that isn't the root of the 4x comments. The only other thing that comes to mind is, are you dimensioning in paperspace or are you dimensioning through the paperspace viewport into modelspace? I notice mine will switch back to paperspace without input from me sometimes -- hopefully a glitch that has or will be corrected in the future. Make sure your viewports are locked by the way...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 6 of 8

This problem happens to me when I try to dimension to a point that already used for a different dimension.

What is happening is that it grabs the point for the dimension line geometry and measures it as a paper space object instead of measuring the model.

I have yet to find a solution.

Message 7 of 8
cadffm
in reply to: JonathanSpiers

The solution is clear and simple, don't snap to the wrong object!

It's part of learning how object snap works.

Too bad that I have a small exercise in German only in stock, but you will also find an English help.
(If you can not understand the functionality of snap aperture and object snap in detail - by yourself)
The object snap does not work indiscriminately but is governed by rules, so it is predictable and

You can exactly catch the point you want on a particular object.

If my answer sounds bad, that's because of the translation and is not meant to be negative at all.

- Sebastian -
Message 8 of 8
pendean
in reply to: JonathanSpiers

Zoom in, then practice: you'll get better at it the more you do it, don't be shy about zooming in and out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost