AutoCAD LT General Discussion

AutoCAD LT General Discussion

Active Contributor
BillW435
Message 1 of 14 (7,166 Views)

Dimensions not visible in layout view

7166 Views, 13 Replies
07-26-2011 07:58 PM

This is one of those on-again off-again frustrating issues.

The problem: I add a dimension in Model Space, but it is not visible in Layout. No problem with drawing items, only dimensions. After some "floundering" (not an official AutoDesk term),  I see the dimension in Layout. Don't know what I'm doing wrong, or how I manage to get the dimensions to show again. Any and all help appreciated.

Yes, have searched the help file and manuals to no avail.

Bill

LT 2011

Windows XP

Active Contributor
BillW435
Message 2 of 14 (7,154 Views)

Re: Dimensions not visible in layout view

07-26-2011 11:23 PM in reply to: BillW435

New information:

It seems to be a problem with a new layer I made, "Dimensions", anything I add in Model space on this new layer does not appear on the Layout tab. All settings on new layer are same as layer 0, where there is no problem viewing objects on Layout tab.

Gotta be doing something wrong!

Thanks

Bill

Valued Contributor
katani
Message 3 of 14 (7,144 Views)

07-27-2011 04:53 AM in reply to: BillW435

If the settings for the new layer are the same as for layer 0 which is visible in your layout viewports (all on, all thawed) then this doesn't seem to be a problem with the layer. Is the current dimension style annotative by any chance when you are adding these dimensions? Try typing ANNOALLVISIBLE at the command prompt, hit enter and change the setting to 1. Can you see the dimensions now?

PS. By suggesting reading manuals and the help file I didn't mean you will never come accross problems you will not be able to get over by yourself once you've gone through the books. I only suggested a good way to start off. Nothing mean. Honestly.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 4 of 14 (7,143 Views)

07-27-2011 04:53 AM in reply to: BillW435

Make the Layout active by double clikcing inside of it.

Type LA at the Command line.

Is the Layer Thawed in the Viewport?

Layer Freeze

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
Bob_Zurunkle
Message 5 of 14 (7,119 Views)

07-27-2011 09:24 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

OP are you trying to do something with annotative dimensions? If so, then is your modelspace CANNOSCALE set to match your paperspace viewport?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted :smileyhappy:
Active Contributor
BillW435
Message 6 of 14 (7,099 Views)

07-28-2011 12:25 AM in reply to: BillW435

Thanks everybody -

Tried all you suggest; cannoscale is OK, annotative is OK, and layer properties appear same.

I may be asking alot, but if you care to view the file, it is attached. In model space I have entered two dimensions, one on layer "0", the other on layer "Dims". Text and dimension appear in layout view for layer "0" but not layer "Dims".

Appreciate all your help.

Bill

Olympia WA

Active Contributor
BillW435
Message 7 of 14 (7,097 Views)

07-28-2011 12:39 AM in reply to: BillW435

OOPS!

Charles, I had not tried your suggestion yet:

"Make the Layout active by double clicking inside of it. Type LA at the Command line. Is the Layer Thawed in the Viewport?"

No, it was not thawed in the viewport - when I thawed the layer, the dimensions became visible in Layout!

Honestly, I had no idea a layer could be thawed in model space and NOT thawed in the viewport.

Again, I sincerely appreciate everyone's help.

Bill

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 8 of 14 (7,090 Views)

07-28-2011 05:38 AM in reply to: BillW435

Glad that worked for you.

If you started with a Template open the Template and check that same Layout and Thaw the Layer.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
jmarkut
Message 9 of 14 (6,823 Views)

04-17-2012 10:29 AM in reply to: BillW435

I am unsure as to whether or not you have fixed this issue but I had the same problem and I fixed mine by the "Annotative Visability" button located on the bottom right of your screen.

Untitled.png

Active Contributor
BillW435
Message 10 of 14 (6,812 Views)

04-17-2012 08:25 PM in reply to: jmarkut

Thanks Mark...

Well, yes I think I resolved the issue, but always can use another perspective.

Bill

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.