Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensions and Text in PSpace

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
jhcockerell
530 Views, 8 Replies

Dimensions and Text in PSpace

I am using AutoCAD LT 2012. I have seen similar questions posted but still struggle to find a solution, hope you mind me posting my query.

In MSpace I create a drawing at Scale 1:1. I create separate layers for dimensions and text and would like to add information to those layers in MSpace.

In PSpace I create a layout containing 2 viewports, each of these viewports would show that same drawing (but with different layers turned on and off in each view) and each of those viewports would have a different scale (e.g. say 1:20 and 1:50).

Is it possible to have the dimensions and text which I have done in MSpace appear looking the same scale/size in each of the separate, individually scaled viewports? I'm trying to achieve a uniform look to my text and dims over the whole layout sheet. At present, the drawing, dimensions and text natuurally all scale to the same scale which is given to each viewport.

I had not wanted to dimension in PSpace as there are always changes to be made to the drawing during the design phase.

Am I expecting the impossible from my software?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
hwalker
in reply to: jhcockerell

I'm not too sure how these work as I don't use them, but look up Annotative text and dimensions. They are what you need

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 9
Charles_Shade
in reply to: hwalker

Howard is correct and Help is a good place to start.

You will need to have all your Textstyles, Dim Styles, MLeaders, etc. function to be annotative.

You can do this to each as they currently exist for new entities by checking Annotative in the respective dialogs.

I am in the same predicament as Howard in that I do not use these often ebough to offer good advice.

(I did do just this yesterday and was successful in having my drawing at 1/2" = 1' and the text at 1/4" =1' but when I went to add another MLeader in MSpace it was too big. See that huge arrow?)

ScreenShot001.jpg

I'm sure it is just one more setting...

Message 4 of 9
heinsite

Yours is exactly what annotative dimstyles are for.

Step 1:  Create an annotative textstyle.  Be sure to leave the text height set at 0.000.  This allows you to change it on the fly later when you want to.  Use whatever font you want.  Just be sure to check the "Annotative" box.

Step 2:  Create an annotative dimstyle.  It's here that you set the text height you want and fix the annotative style that you set up earlier.  Let's assume you always want your dim text to be 1/8" high (0.125")... you set that here.  Again, as you go thru the tabs be sure to select the "Annotative" box.  When you look at any of your styles you'll see the little blue 3-corner scale icon to tell you it's annotative.  I'll add that things here default to byBlock but I always use byLayer for everything when setting up this and mleader styles.

Step 3: Optional, but recommended.  Set up an annotative mleaderstyle too.  You use mleaders, right?  Sure you do.

Now... the good parts. 

In a layout/paperspace viewport, figure out what scale(s) you'll be using for your dimensions and or annotations.  Keep track of what you want to use because you'll need that info in Model space in second.  When you have it worked out go to Model space and check that the little Annotative icons in the status bar next to the scale setting are both off.  Click them a few times... when the light bulb is not yellow, they're off.

Now, using one of those viewport scales, set it in the scales in Model space.  Select your dim style, your layer, and start dimensioning.  Do a few.  Flip over to the layout and look at your viewport.  You should have selected the viewport earlier, set the proper scale, and Locked it with the little padlock.  This is to protect you against you.  Trust me.  🙂  But you should see your dimensions!  Select the viewport again and change the scale setting.  Poof!  The dimensions should disappear!  Why?  Because they're not mapped to that new scale.  This is handy, don't you think?  With this we can make things come and go.

So, back in the Model, now we can dimension things using different scale settings depending on what scales we use in our layout viewports.  And stuff will only display if the scales match between the viewport and the model.  Now you can also see what that scale setting is for in Model space.  Annotation work.  That's it.

Have fun!  This should get you a long way toward real consistency in your work.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 5 of 9
jhcockerell

Thank you everybody for your replies. I have been reading and playing with "Annotative" text and dimensions during today....my brain was starting to go into overload.

Dave your step by step instructions and description have really helped, thank you so much. The Anotative icons had been a little confusing, it's a bit difficult to tell when they're on and off....not too much of a colour change.

I'm now looking forward to an exciting day of dimensioning tomorrow.

Once again thank you for your prompt and helpful replies.

Lyn

Message 6 of 9
heinsite

I did a quick example.dwg for a guy in another thread last night that might help you too... it sets up some simple annotative styles and then a layout and shows how to use this.  It might help you too.

Go look here:  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2011/Scaling-when-drawing-in-meters/td-p/3397141

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 7 of 9
jhcockerell

Thanks for thinking of me and sending me your example drawing Dave.

I formated my text styles and dim styles yesterday following your suggestions and can now check my understanding of what I've done against your example.

I'm finally managing to understand and be able to put into practice something which will make work so much easier and give my drawings the look I'm after without a lot of messing around.

Thank you  Smiley Very Happy

Lyn

Message 8 of 9
heinsite

Glad I could help.  I'm sure it saved you a lot of time and frustration.

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 9 of 9
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: heinsite

Just some addiitonal info -- before the 2008 release, only linetypes were annotative, and that was limited. Now linetypes, text styles, dimension styles, hatch objects and even blocks can be annotative. This means for example, having multiple dimensions at different scales, but on one layer -- yet only the ones at 1/4" scale will show up in the 1/4" scale viewport.

An example of an annotative block would be a lightswitch symbol that looks the same size in paperspace, no matter what scale the viewport is. You wouldn't want a 2x4 troffer to be annotative though. But imagine even your hatches looking identically sized no matter the viewport scale! 2008 brought a wealth of 2D drafting improvements, of which this is only one...

With annotative dimensions you should be able to dimension directly in paperspace, then jump inside a viewport and continue "on the fly" with no difference in how the two look. It is always a good idea to create and test your annotation objects in paperspace first, because that is your output environment (finished product).

In modelspace there is the CANNOSCALE setting (a scale list on your taskbar) which by default is 1:1. If you dimension or insert blocks in modelspace, you would want to anticipate the eventual viewport scale and set your CANNOSCALE to match. If you set it to 1/4" for example, then whatever annotaiton object you place in modelspace will look the same size as it would in a 1/4" viewport. a lot of people overlook this setting and then ask why their linetype scales "don't work". Setting CANNOSCALE properly, as well as setting LTSCALE, PSLTSCALE, MSLTSCALE & CELTSCALE to 1, will help correct the issue (as long as you test your linetypes in paperspace and select the ones that work at those settings).

Good luck! 😉

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost