Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension scale

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
BillW435
623 Views, 6 Replies

Dimension scale

This is a basic question.

I am adding dimensions to my drawing in model space. However, the dimension text and arrows are so tiny I can't see them. I have tried the annotation scale settings without success. How do I make the dimensions (and other annotation) display at appropriate size? And is the procedure different foe model and paper space?

Much thanks for your help.

New to AutoCad, but started drafting 50 years ago, which of course is the reason for my problems.

Bill

AutoCad LT 2011

Windows XP 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: BillW435

1. Your text STYLE needs to be annotative first: you also need to set your preferred "paper text height" ( I use 3/32").

2. Now set your DIMSTYLE to be annotative: ensure the above test style is the one being used.

3. Now keep track of your Annotative scale while drafting in modelspace, or your viewport scale if you work inside it (it must be set to something). Control for both is at the lower-right corner of your AutoCAD display window, the icon next to the numbers looks like the end of a 3-sided scale ruler.

Message 3 of 7
katani

"New to AutoCad, but started drafting 50 years ago, which of course is the reason for my problems."

I don't agree. I think the reason for your problems is you didn't read through a good AutoCAD handbook in the first place. I recommend the AutoCAD Bible series, but there are many other equally good and of course there is the F1 key which I just learnt to hit every time I find a gap in my knowledge following the advice by my colleague to use the RFM method (Read the F...g Manual). Forums like this are briliant when you stumble on proper problems which are not covered in manuals.

Regards, katani

Message 4 of 7
BillW435
in reply to: katani

Yes, you do have a good point. I just bought Mastering AutoCAD 2011, by George Omura, and have located the section on dimensioning.  Thought I had researched the subject in AutoCAD help, but there is much more in the book. Will be a big help.

Thanks katani,

Bill

Message 5 of 7
BillW435
in reply to: pendean

Thanks much, Dean. I'm working my way through Mastering AutoCAD 2011, but had not reached the lengthy sections on annotation and dimensioning. Your answer was very clear and concise.

Regards,

Bill

Message 6 of 7
Charles_Shade

BillW435 - It ain't as simple as reading the book when it comes to dimensioning, text heights, and scaling. In reality the Dimension Style dialog has little to do with dimension text height and the answer does not lie completely there. Text Style is another important aspect of this piece of CAD and you should be drawing 1:1; then the annotative scales make sense to use but need to be set-up to work properly in Layouts.

Dean' advice is a good start but only the tip of the iceberg. There are many things to consider when setting up your drawings for output.

Kitani - Dude, give the newb a break. I'm happy you found the Help file. It is always gratifying to find an answer on your own and then teaching someone else will solidify your own knowledge of the subject but Dimensioning has almost nothing to do with Text height when plotted and weaving the maze thru these seemingly disperate items can be quite confusing especially when just starting. Scale for Dimension Figures may be the answer the OP wants but will not affect the Text height of the Dimension string. That needs to be done thru the Text Style dialog.

Does the OP have a standard size piece of paper he wants and a scale that output will 90% of the time be?

Text height to Zero may not make sense in this scenario but it may for the OP..

I use a Text height of 5" drawn 1:1 and plot at a 1/4" scale 99% of the time. I like the "size" of this on the paper.

Message 7 of 7
BillW435
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Thanks for the understanding reply, Charles.

Books? Oh yes, I'm reading the manuals, have three now. But I have read and learned many things in my life, and I know for sure that some of these AutoCAD features are not that straightforward. There is an art as well as a science to AutoCAD. I will learn this, and it will be due to a combination of reading manuals, learning from experienced users like you, and lots of trial and error.  

Best Regards,

Bill Wells

Olympia WA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost