Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIfferent UCS's in several Viewports no working

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
cadcoke4
2571 Views, 6 Replies

DIfferent UCS's in several Viewports no working

I am attempting to use different UCS's in the various viewports I have on a layout tab. UCSFOLLOW is set to 0 in all viewports.

When I enter a viewport, and change the UCS in any way, (normally setting to View) the UCS changes in all other viewports. In the past, on the full AutoCAD 2002 version, this was not the behavior.

When I opened a drawing in LT that was created in AutoCAD 2002, the beavior is the same as it is now... but I know it didn't do this when I was using the full version of AutoCAD.

I've searched this newsgroup as well as the knowedge base on this, but not found any mention of a problem with it. Is this a new bug I've discovered?

Joe Dunfee
I am using AutoCAD LT 2002 in the Windows 2000 enviroment.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: cadcoke4

Changing the UCS affects all viewports I believe: are you trying to just change the viewpoint in each viewport? Rotate a viewport and need to use the PLAN command? From HELP, rotate views using UCS: To rotate a view by changing the UCS 1.. Make sure you are on a layout tab. 2.. Double-click in the viewport whose objects you want to rotate. 3.. Make sure that the current UCS is parallel to the plane of rotation (the UCS icon should look normal). If the UCS is not parallel to the plane of rotation, from the Tools menu, choose New UCS, and then choose View. 4.. From the Tools menu, choose New UCS, and then choose Z. To rotate the view 90 degrees clockwise, enter 90. To rotate the view 90 degrees counter-clockwise, enter -90. 5.. From the View menu, choose 3D Views, and then choose Plan View. Choose current UCS. The entire view rotates within the viewport. You may need to respecify the scale of the viewport. Also try this tutorial: http://www.engr.panam.edu/~scrown/graphics/notes/lecture12.ppt -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 3 of 7
cadcoke4

I am well versed in the process of changing the UCS's. My difficulty was that viewports are not retaining their individual UCS's. In the past, I've been able to set a UCS in a particular viewport, and then go and work in another viewport with a different UCS. Then, when I returned to the prior one, the UCS that I last used in that particular viewport was automatically restored.

Even old drawings that I created under the full version of AutoCAD 2002 will not retain the UCS's for each viewport. So, either there is a setting that is not saved in the drawings which affects this behavior, or LT just behaves differently than the full version. [or my memory is going, and AutoCAD never did this].

Joe Dunfee
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

From ADT help: In AutoCAD, you can choose to use a different user coordinate system (UCS) in each viewport in a single drawing file. In AutoCAD LT, you can use only one UCS in each drawing file. The AutoCAD LT behavior is the same as it was in previous releases. When you open an AutoCAD drawing file in AutoCAD LT, AutoCAD LT uses only the UCS from the current viewport. If you edit the drawing in AutoCAD LT, and then save it and reopen it in AutoCAD, you may notice some discrepancies in UCS usage. User coordinate systems that were set individually in AutoCAD will probably change if the viewports that use them were activated in the AutoCAD LT session. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 5 of 7
cadcoke4

Thank you very much for the clarification. It was quite frustrating trying to make it work. The help menu says each viewport can have their own UCS (see copy below), but obviously the help file is wrong.

--Different UCS in each viewport in a drawing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Issue

You can have a different user coordinate system (UCS) in each viewport.

Solution

Use the UCS command to place a different UCS in each viewport. You can then have several active coordinate systems in a drawing.

Once multiple viewports are established in a drawing:

Select a viewport.
From the Tools menu, choose New UCS.
Select the placement option.
If you have multiple viewports, and each contains a unique UCS, you can apply a UCS in a viewport to one or more viewports.

To apply the UCS from one viewport to another:

Set the viewport with the desired UCS to another.
From the Tools menu, choose New UCS > Apply.
Select the viewport to apply the coordinate settings, or select the ALL option at the command prompt to apply the UCS of the current viewport to all other viewports.