Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Designating a layer to a command.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
574 Views, 7 Replies

Designating a layer to a command.

How can I, or can I apply a specific layer to a specific command?? When I choose the dimension command, i want it to automatically become my "Dim 1" layer without having to select it, then select the layer. Is this possible??

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes you can!

From the CUI add:    -la;_Make;your layer;     to a Command*

Example:

^C^C-la;_make;Dim;;  (Italics for emphasis only)

Please remember to check Solved if your question has been answered

*Some tweaking may be required

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Thanks Charles. Happy Holidays!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

I used to have a button macro for drawing wiring, that would cancel all else, change to the wire layer, and draw a 3 point arc before repeating. It even snapped to endpoints for both ends but snapped off in the middle!

Message 5 of 8
Charles_Shade

Yea, but could it dance a jig?

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Hmmm that might require a spline, and a macro that moves the vertices back and forth 😛

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

I am trying to do this in AutoCAD Lt 2013, but I am having no success with it working.  I, like the original post, am trying to get my dimensions to all be on a dimension layer and all my viewports (mview) on an mview layer.

Can you provide further instructions?  I am editing the "Macro" line in the dim command from:

^C^C_dim

to

^C^C_dim-la;_make;Dims;;

Message 8 of 8
pendean

The command you need to use first is -LAYER (there is a dash in the name), follwoed by the MAKE option (it creates the layer and makes it active, if the layer already exists it will simply make it active). Then you follow it with your desired 'other' command.

So, look at the top of this thread for the correct code (not yours): here is is spelled out for easier reading (replace DIM with the layer name you wish to use and replace DIMCOMMAND with the command you want to use right after it)

^C^C_-LAYER;_make;_DIM;;_DIMCOMMAND

Yes you have to know the name of the command you want to use right after setting the layer, HELP can walk you through it.

Note that using macros that layer remains set and active until you change it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost