Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

custom linetypes with text

44 REPLIES 44
SOLVED
Message 1 of 45
sjw0465
10931 Views, 44 Replies

custom linetypes with text

I am attempting to create a custom linetype with text in it, but the format used to create the line. Which is as follows:         A,.5,-.25,["GAS",STANDARD,S=.1,U=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.25  is not producing the result I need. Asimple linetype is no problem but when I attempt to add text, it wont load into the drawing. I need to create a "gas line" because no matter what I do I can't read the text that is in the default gas line. I have tried any number of things to make the text larger, to no avail. Can anyone help?

44 REPLIES 44
Message 21 of 45
sjw0465
in reply to: pendean

Message 22 of 45
Charles_Shade
in reply to: sjw0465

Okay - I'm gonna guess that you are taking a 1/8" height text if you are using Standard or STEVE'S TEXT in your linetype, and multiplying it by .1 (S=.1) so that the resulting text in the linetype is about 1/64th of an inch tall.

Have you tried setting S to 8 or 10 or something else as Dean suggested?

Or change the Text Height for Standard to 2".

Remember to Regen when done.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 23 of 45
pendean

Attached.

Message 24 of 45
sjw0465
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Charles, thank you for all yor patience. It was the regen. I had no idea you had to regen after changing the text style. I just "set current" and closed the dialoge box.

Message 25 of 45
sjw0465
in reply to: pendean

Dean I think maybe you were confused about the fact that there were two separate problems here. One was the issue that I couldn't change the size of the text in the gas line that comes preloaded into acadlt.( now I can) The other problem is that I couldn't get the custom linetype to load therefore I couldn't modify all the variables you were asking me to.( still an issue). But I think I'll call this a success for now.

Message 26 of 45
Charles_Shade

REGENs are a good habit to get into.

Message 27 of 45
sjw0465

Sounds like good advise

Message 28 of 45
Charles_Shade

Count to ten first... Dean... count to ten...

OP - You do not have to load the line to change the variables - you can do that through Notepad; you just need to load it each time you make a change to see it in the drawing.

Message 29 of 45
sjw0465

So let me get this straight... When you create a custom line with text in it using the -linetype command in the command line, you dont have to load it after you create it? So much to learn.... I guess thats why I'm asking the questions and you guys are answering them. Again, thank you for all the assistance.

Message 30 of 45
Anonymous

According to Autocad HELP you have to. This is what the help says at the end of procedure for creating a custom linetype from the command prompt:

"Note When you create a linetype, it is not loaded into your drawing automatically. Use the Load option of LINETYPE.

Regarding your second problem with not being able to create a linetype including a text from the command prompt.

You can not make a custom linetype with text through the -linetype command. You must make changes to the .lin files or make a new .txt file with notepad, rename the extension to .lin and save it to the storage area for the linetype files. What is confusing here is that AutoCAD does not warn you that it didn't save the linetype definition to the .lin file in any way. It only responds that it couldn't find the linetype definition in the .lin file when you try to load it.

Message 31 of 45
Charles_Shade

Create the Linetype

Load the Linetype

Use the Linetype

Change the Linetype

Load the Linetype

Use the Linetype

No other way to get the Linetype into the current drawing except from Adcenter.

If you want this Linetype available to each new drawing then you can either create a Template with the Linetype loaded or create a block with all of your "Standards" and Insert that into each new drawing.

Message 32 of 45
sjw0465

Thank you, thats what I thought ; the trouble is that it wont load. I can see it in the file folder but when I'm asked if I want to load the linetype; I click yes, but it wont load. The most important thing was to get the other issue solved, which you did. I can keep working on this issue. You mentioned there is another way to create linetypes ( other than the command line), is it easier?

Message 33 of 45
pendean

This is merely a suggestion, there is nothing meant by it: excellent books that cover the basics and get you up to speed with core features. In no particular order:

AutoCAD 2011-LT2011 No Experience Required By Donnie Gladfelter

Mastering AutoCAD 2011-LT2011 by George Omura

If there are LT2012 versions of either go for it, if not, I don't think you will miss learning the basics from these two books.

Message 34 of 45
Charles_Shade

Like I said earlier I have always created Linetypes in Notepad by using an existing Linetype as a model for a new one. My brain can't keep the parameters straight wihout the visual reference of seeing the information. Creating from the Command Line requires too much thinking.

Just change and tweak the items that you want: Textstyle, Text, Scale (S), Postion (X,Y), Dashes, Spacing.

It has never been a one shot done deal for me always trial and error to get it to my needs.

Message 35 of 45
sjw0465

Thank you both for all the help & patience. I truly appreciate it. I'll keep playing with it; the solution from yesterday puts the fire out.

Message 36 of 45
calfcreek_2

I have never gotten the custom linetype dialogue to work properly. Always throws error, "Bad numeric value or command" or something like that.

I open acad.lin in notebook, copy a linetype similar to the one I want to make, make adjustments and save. Works fine.

Keith D. Rodebush

RA

Message 37 of 45
haydee3

hi, im trying to create a linetype with text with the serie of elements as the autocad say to follow, and it keeps telling "Invalid number or bad continuation", even if  i do copy paste to avoid de mistakes, could you help me please, It is urgent!!!!!

thankl you

Message 38 of 45
ScottHodges
in reply to: haydee3

Are you opening the aclt.lin or acltiso.lin file in notepad and copying and modifying an existing cutom linetype in the .lin file ?
Message 39 of 45

can i edit those gas or HW to OFC in the line appearance

Message 40 of 45

Yes you can. But I would create a new linetype using the GAS linetype as a template so all you need to do is change the word GAS to OFC

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost