Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copying layers between drawigns in AutoCAD LT 2010

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
duffy.sorc
25511 Views, 11 Replies

copying layers between drawigns in AutoCAD LT 2010

I've copied a layer from my source dwg to my target dwg, but when I set the layer to "current layer" in my target dwg nothing appears--the layer appears blank.  what am I doing wrong?  anyone... ? 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
pendean
in reply to: duffy.sorc

How did you copy the layer exactly? I'm no familiar with any method of doing so that would also magically bring in the content of that layer.

If you want the content to come along, grab the content instead and the layer name comes along for the ride without extra effort: copy/paste or WBLOCK command followed by INSERT command are two of the simpler methods.

Message 3 of 12
duffy.sorc

As instructed in my new AutoCAD 2010 Bible "AutoCAD 2010 for Dummies":

1) opened/tiled  source drawing

2) opened/tiled destination drawing

3) clicked Design Center button

4) in DesignCenter, clicked Open Drawings tab

5)  in tree view pane, clicked name of source dwg

6) clikced Layers in the tree view pane

7) clicked and dragged desired layer(s) from content pane of DesignCenter palette int owindo containg destination drawing.

New layer shows in the ribbon, but layer content does not appear on drawing and still does not appear when I activate the layer as "current". 

The only hesitation I have in using the copy-paste method you describe is that I have a LOT of stuff on that layer, and it will take a huge amount of time to copy & paste it piece by piece.

Message 4 of 12
drjohn

That's because you are only importing the layer name and it's configuration, not the content of the layer from the DC.

You followed the book correctly however, it is not what you wanted to do if you want the content of the layer as well as the layername..

To copy the content of the layer you must have the drawing file open and use a copy/paste or as Dean suggests you can also WBLOCK the content you want to a file and then import it into the new drawing. The content entities will bring their own  layers and their configuration with them.

Regards,

DJ

Message 5 of 12
pendean

I suspect your book states that you are only copying the layer name, not it's content somewhere.

To select only content on only one layer, make that one layer active and FREEZE all other layers.

Only thing on screen should be content on that one layer. Window and copy/paste.

You can also filter your selection using FILTER command (to isolate/select only items you want), or you can use QSELECT command (basically the same as the other command, but with a much simpler interface) if you do not want to do the above. Explore these solutions to get what you want.

Post back if you get stuck.

Message 6 of 12
Charles_Shade
in reply to: pendean

...or save your drawing to a new name and erase what you don't want...

Message 7 of 12
duffy.sorc

Thanks, Charles.  I have opposite problem.  I need to transfer lines & text from smaller layout to a larger plan in order to expand drawing to fill entire building.  That's actually how I got into this mess in the first place--erasing areas from the original plan that I now need.  Good thought, though.

Message 8 of 12
Modman_4

Smiley Surprised

OP how long have you been doing CAD for a living?

I hope my info was useful, but if by some odd chance it actually solved your issue, feel free to mark your post as "Accept as Solution". Thanks! 🙂
Message 9 of 12
duffy.sorc

THANKS!  I'll try any & all suggestions.  Somethings got to work.

Message 10 of 12
bcheckvala.RDS

Just wanted to thank all contributors to this thread.  Was having same problem. Am self-taught through books and could not figure out why my copied layers were blank.  The book failed to claify that Name and Definitions ONLY were being transferred when using "Add Layer..." command in Design Center.  Now I know.  Thanks again.

Message 11 of 12
alienthird

just type "dc" then the autocad file that you want to copy the layer, click chose the layer, after that click the layer that you want, then right click, and last click add.
i hope it helps you a lot
Message 12 of 12
weya022

THIS really help me a lot!!Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost