Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COPY AND PASTE NO LONGER WORKS IN AUTOCAD 2014

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
rmallari
1152 Views, 11 Replies

COPY AND PASTE NO LONGER WORKS IN AUTOCAD 2014

Please help copy and paste no longer works between AutoCAD LT 2014 and solid works 2012. I just upgraded to AutoCAD LT 2014 from AutoCAD 2011. Now I cannot copy and paste line geometry between AutoCAD and solid works. This is clearly an AutoCAD issue since it worked fine before the upgrade. Why would such a useful and easy feature be removed? Does anyone know how to fix this? I have the latest Nvidia drivers too. I would hate to have to go back to an older version. If I have to go back to an older version in order for this simple feature to work we would no longer need to pay for any future licenses (16 in total).  Any help is much appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
sthompson1021
in reply to: rmallari

My first thought is that it's a different dwg format. You cannot open a 2014 dwg with 2011 or 2012 unless it is saved down to 2010 format.

Message 3 of 12
pendean

Are you sure SolidWorks 2012 can read DWG content from LT2014? There was a format change between LT2011 and LT2014, regardless of what you set 'SAVE' to do. You will need to contact SolidWorks support for help otherwise, Autodesk doesn't gaurantee working with Solidworks so you should have tested before upgrading my friend.

As noted above, you either need to upgrade SolidWorks or Save your files down in LT2014 then open Solidworks2012 and "import" the DWG file:

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/English/SolidWorks/slddxf/t_importingdxfdwg.htm?id=38b514f6151144b2a...

Tips from the Solidworks forum:

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/62570

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/76281

Message 4 of 12
rmallari
in reply to: pendean

Hi thanks for the reply I tried saving in all available years 2013 to 2000 still does not work. Copy and paste is not a feature one would think would have to be tested for compatibility. I still think this is a AutoCad problem I have been using this feature since 2004! I will still try the Solidworks forums but I think they will just send me back here.

Message 5 of 12
pendean

Since copy/paste doesn't work between LT2014 and LT2011 by design, your assumptions are not fact-based.

Remember everyone here is and end user like you, no one is affected whether you buy future upgrades or get a refund: you're not talking to Autodesk.
Tags (1)
Message 6 of 12
rmallari

The copy and paste I am having problems with is between AutoCAD and Solidworks not between LT2014 and LT2011 that doesn't make sense. I know everyone here is an end user I was hoping someone here had experienced the same issue and found an answer. My gripe is that they have broken such a useful and seminally easy feature. Solidworks and AutoCAD are two very popular programs and even though they will not miss my subscription fees I’m sure they will miss all other Solidworks/AutoCAD users that reach the same conclusion I can’t possibly be the only one. Anyway I don’t want to argue about that. The people over at the Solidworks forum  are trying out some files I uploaded for them so we’ll see what they say.

Message 7 of 12
sthompson1021

What I was trying to say, and what Dean was pointing out is that Autocad changed the format for reading dwg files with the 2013 release. Unless Solidworks did an update to their 2012 program, it is unlikely that it would be able to  read the new format either, even for a simple copy/paste. 

Message 8 of 12
rmallari
in reply to: sthompson1021

Hi Thompson thanks you. You are both right and I am already contacting Solidworks hoping an upgrade will fix this. But you have to agree that buy AutoCAD changing their format they have broken this feature. So in the mean time do you guys have any suggestions for a workaround.

Message 9 of 12
sthompson1021

Not one you are going to like. Use your 2011 when you need to copy between programs. Just remember that you still need to have your save set to 2010 in 2014 in order to open the dwg in 2011. Autocad changes dwg format every three years. Wants to make sure everyone has to upgrade.

Even worse if you use one of the verticles.

Message 10 of 12
pendean

AutoCAD upgrades all the time, as does everyone else including Solidworks. Don't hang your hat on that for an excuse my friend, it has no merit. You forgot to test before upgrading, that's the real problem. Own it and fix it or work around it.
Message 11 of 12
rmallari

Hay Dean i know they upgrade all the time. for every yearly update since 2004 i haven’t had a problem with copy and paste. No need to test one of the most basic functions that has never caused a problem before. So unless you have a work-around your opinions are not useful.

Message 12 of 12
pendean

Ha! smile my friend, your bosses/clients are not watching or aware of it yet 🙂

Workarounds are posted on the Solidworks forum, see the tips links I started for you in my first reply, you can search for more.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost