Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy & Paste target problems

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
rhenrys
11975 Views, 14 Replies

Copy & Paste target problems

I am updating as-built files and using crtl+C and crtl+V to copy paste items quickly.  The problem is when I paste the items back into the drawing they come back far right and above the cursor location before I even drop them into the drawing.  Normally the crtl+V function puts the lower left corner of the object right where my cursor is.  On certain drawing it is always way off this point, but always off by the same amount for any object I copy & paste.  How do I fix this so the object is always next to the on screen cursor?

I have tried not using the hot keys but it does the same thing.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Charles_Shade
in reply to: rhenrys

SWAG - Type INSERT from the Command line.

For Insertion Point - Is Specify on-Screen checked?

Ctrl-C does not allow for a Specified Point. There is an option in the right click menu for this.

Ctrl-Shift-C will let you Copy with Base Point. May be all you need.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 3 of 15
rhenrys
in reply to: Charles_Shade

That works for inserting a block, but say I want to copy that block 20 times putting in other location.  On other drawing I can hit ctrl+C.   Then eveytime I hit CTRL+V the block's lower left corner is right where my cursor is on screen which makes it easy to use the SNAP OBJECT function to place the block quickly in the drawing.  On certain drawing after hitting CTRL+V the block is placed way off to right and above the cursor's on screen position.  Making OBJECT SNAP useless because no where close to where the cursor is on screen.

Message 4 of 15
drjohn

I have this issue as well ... but randomly.

My work-around = copy w/ basepoint  (ctl-shift + C)

Even if I click off of the object/entities I will pick a base point where I want to see the paste entities when I paste it into the target dwg eg: just outside the group of entities where the cursor should be if ACAD would do it consistently.

I know it's not the answer you were looking for but if you run across it lemme know.  Smiley Frustrated

HTH

Regards,

DJ

Message 5 of 15
sthompson1021

Once you have the block into the new drawing, if you redo the ctrl+c does it still copy way off your cursor?

Message 6 of 15
pendean

CTRL+C (COPYCLIP command) is not a precision method of grabbing content: if you want precision, you must use CTRL+SHIFT+C (COPYBASE command) before you use CTRL+V (PASTECLIP command).

COPYCLIP command grabs the lower-left corner of ALL the objects you selected (which may not be the lower-left corner you want): if you start by precisely selecting the "corner" you want at the beginning, you will always get it at the end when pasting.

You also need to be aware of your UCS in all drawing files.

Message 7 of 15
heinsite
in reply to: pendean

I like the Copy w/ Basepoint so much I've used the CUI to add it to my right click menu.  Smiley Very Happy

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 8 of 15
pendean
in reply to: heinsite

Excellent tip, thanks for sharing.

Message 9 of 15
Charles_Shade

Did'nt I say that in the first response?Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 15
pendean
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Based on the follow up question, your response was misinterpreted or missed.

Message 11 of 15
heinsite

At least at the time I added copy with basepoint it wasn't natively on the right click menu, you had to take a little time with CUI.  The other function that I find handy there is MIRROR.  Both get used a lot.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 12 of 15
BronwynDuffy6370

I've been having the same problem.  After years of copying just fine, it seemed AutoCAD had started placing my copies miles away for no reason - without even clicking.   After trying many of the ideas here, I finally changed my mouse over - and hey presto - it fixed the problem.  Must have been a glitch in the mouse.

Message 13 of 15
Jim_Melin

One of our clients have this exact issue. Ist sitll happens in Autocad Architecture 2018.

We are well aware of the COPYBASE alternative but are irked that this quicker method doesn't work when he needs specifically that.

It is different in different drawings to him, so it is not a mouse issue.

In two separate drawings with WCS only, BASE is origo. A simple newly drawn diagonal line works as an example in both drawings.

In one it works as expected inserting in the lower left corner of the object copied with ctrl+V or COPYCLIP, in the other the PASTECLIP asks for an insertion point but the object is located out of working view way up to the left.

While COPYBASE is workaround, we really need a proper explanation and fix for this behaviour. COPYBASE cannot permanently replace COPYCLIP.

Thanks.

Kindly
Jim Melin
AEC AB CAD Solution Support

www.aec.se
Message 14 of 15
Jim_Melin

I must oppose those who marked my previous response as an answer. It is not. I just stated that the problem persisted with clairifications. I don't seem to be able to remove it though.

Now I might have an answer though.

Some have been able to solve this by properly changing "back" to World with the UCS-command (even if it already seems to be in WCS!).

I found another/complementary method:

Changing the Visual Style to 2d Wireframe, or switching from it and back solved the problem my client had. 

Indication of the error was that in the View-panel the visual style showed as "*Current*" because of manal changes in the current style. Restoring this made PASTECLIP pasting properly again.

The erroneous behaviour appear also when the view is in Perspective , isometric views or not a exact Top view alignment. Then the default basepoint used is the drawing origo.

Also UCS's to can cause this.

If you find yourself with this behaviour it might be one ore more of these errors behind it. There might even be more plan view aligment errors that lead to it. So examine all these possibilities to find which you are dealing with.

Kindly
Jim Melin
AEC AB CAD Solution Support

www.aec.se
Message 15 of 15
Ike-The-Viking
in reply to: Jim_Melin

Switching from 2-D to Conceptual and then back solved it for me. Much appreciated, bloody annoying glitch.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost