Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting GPS data from an .ssf file to DXF & opening in AutoCad Lt 2007

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
zipznap
8803 Views, 8 Replies

Converting GPS data from an .ssf file to DXF & opening in AutoCad Lt 2007

Has anyone ever had to convert a GPS file (.ssf)? I am attempting to do this by converting the .ssf file, which contains GPS data point information into a DXF file. Then from the DXF file, I tried opening in AutoCadd Lt 2007, but nothing shows up on my screen. There are no layers turned on, frozen and I did a zoom extents, but its as if there is nothing in the file???
I was thinking that maybe I should try converting the .ssf GPS file into a DXF and then placing it into an DGN file. Please help!
Zipznap:)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: zipznap

Your DXF file may be empty: open it in Windows Notepad and have a peak. Post
it here if you can (Zip it first) if it is not.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 3 of 9
Charles_Shade

This thread was started and never responded to but the poster states that he "exports" to DXF not "convert" it. You may be saying the same thing.

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=666440&tstart=0

I believe I've read here about entering GPS data thru an Excel file. Can this be done on your end?

This is the discussion area where this post is located. LT will probably have limitations of suggestions found there

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=69
Message 4 of 9
zipznap

I am posting the DXF file along with the other supporting files....
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Your DXF file is empty at 1KB in size.

Your export text files note the following:

"There are no features to export"

and

"Reading file 08510199COLD.SSF
File 08510199COLD.SSF read successfully

1 input file(s) read.
935 position(s) read.
Of these, 935 position(s) were filtered out.
A total of 21 feature(s) read or created.
Of these, 21 feature(s) have no positions.
11 point feature(s) read.
3 line feature(s) read.
7 area feature(s) read.
21 feature(s) discarded because they have no positions."

Your initial data file contains nothing to export.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 6 of 9
zipznap

Dean,
I did not even pay attention to the KB size of the file - Sorry! I had to have the .ssf file reloaded and tried it again, and this time it was successful -yea! Charles Shade, thank you for looking into the older discussion posted... I did find information specific to the program pathfinder that I think you guys may be interested in - if you do not already know - of course 🙂

RE: IMPORTING POINTS FROM PATHFINDER OFFICE TO A-CAD

There is of course a very simple importing procedure. From your PFOffice select export, when the window opens at the bottom it will ask you what format you wish to export in. Select "Sample Configurable ASCII" then at the bottom of the window select "Properties". Now a new window will open and there will be multiple cards to select at the top. Select the Configurable ASCII card. Once you do this you will see a series of block buttons "Attributes, GPS Time,etc..." What you are doing is setting up the format that data will be exported in. Most cad users import points in a "PNEZD" format which is Point number, Northing, Easting, Zeneth, and Description respectively. The PF Office version of this is what you will enter at the bottom of the Config ASCII screen and is as follows, "File ID, Northing, Easting, MSL(mean sea level), Attribute". Once this is set check your units card in the same window and make sure they are correct to your application. No other changes are necessary. Select "OK" in all your windows to return yourself to the "Export" window and save your new configuration. Import the new exported file into cad by going to import points and selecting the "PNEZD" format and enjoy your points.

Thanks again. Zipznap
Message 7 of 9
gude

hi, i have a trimble geoxplorer 2 gps but no software (pathfinder office).Can i export the ssf file direct to autocad ar conver the ssf file?
the waypoints helps me vary much, but i can`t open them whit no gps software and i don`t no what to do.
Thank you!
Message 8 of 9
hhshiyam

I am having a slightly different issue where my data gets trafered to dxf but the mesurements are totally off, the units do not tally to the cordinates of the original file and the distance mesureed from pathfinder is totally off by about 10000m plus when mesured in autocad, am i doing something wrong in the converting or exporting part?
Message 9 of 9

Remeber to set your Pathfiner Coordinates System and Zones to Northing and Easting.

You can do this by specifing a state plane.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost