Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command line window will not dock

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
18465 Views, 22 Replies

Command line window will not dock

The command line window moved from the default location at the bottom of the screen to a floating position while I was working on a drawing yesterday. I don't know what I did but can't move or resize to get it back down to the bottom where it belongs. I can get it to dock to the left and right or float but nothing else. It doesn't behave like the the other palettes n that I can't seem to drag it anywhere. Am I missing something or is it a glitch?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

It requires very delicate handling then it will dock. keep trying.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous

I have tried to be persistent but at this point, I think there might be something else wrong. When I hover the arrow cursor over the toolbar in an attempt to drag it to the bottom I always get that circle with a line through it. When I right click on the bar the only time I can hit the move or size buttons is if I have right or left dock checked. Otherwise they are not accessible. Even at this point, the move command doesn't move the window and the only direction I can resize the window is in the width. I'm afraid I'm not feeling like I want to be delicate with this thing any more.....I'm more inclined to use a hammer.

Do you have any ideas of what might be causing my problem?
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous

It changes shape when it is about to dock. What LT
version, I just detached and reattached in LT2009 in less that
10seconds.

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous

right click on command line toolbar (the blue bar part) and select 'allow docking' if it is not ticked. Edited by: philc@euting.com.au on May 7, 2009 3:21 AM
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous

I also have LT2009. It doesn't change shape like it should. When I have allow docking checked and either right or left dock checked, I can move it around the screen but it doesn't attach itself to the top or bottom when I pull it to that area. It just moves around in the same configuration that it was when I started moving it. The windnow will go about halfway off the screen then stop but it doesn't attach itself to anything at that point. And when I drop it somewhere on the screen after that command, I can't pick it up again. The only way I can move it is by clicking right or left dock, then it goes to the side again and I'm right back where I started. When this first happened, I thought it would be simple to get it back in place - but it continues to frustrate me.
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous

Is your AutoCAD window fully maximized?

--
Dean Saadallah
--
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous

Yes it was maximized. Also - I usuallt use two monitors, but disabled the 2nd one to make sure that wasn't the issue- and it wasn't.
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous

Check to see if your toolbars are locked. At the bottom right side of the screen, there is a pad lock. Right click on it and if I recall correctly - make sure both the floating toolbars and docked toolbars are unlocked. Then grab the command line window and place it into location. Then go back and lock the toolbars. Good luck
Message 10 of 23
Anonymous

It worked - Thank you so much!!!!! I was hoping it was just a problem with a setting that I inadvertantly changed.

I never even noticed that little pad lock symbol before. I'm sure I'll remember it now though!

What a relief!
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous

good catch!

--
Dean Saadallah
--
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous

No Problem - have a great day
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous

I just ran into the same problem (wanted to expand the command lines, but undocked it instead and couldn't get it back...).

It turns out all I needed to do was press and hold the CTRL key.  (This used to be so much simpler!)

Tags (1)
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous

Hey all, realize this is years later, but in case it helps anyone out:

For AutoCAD 2018 I had the same problem:  an 'un-dockable' command line.

This worked for me:

-  Click the Customization icon in the lower-right hand side (looks like three horiz stacked lines)

-  Select 'Lock UI' and make sure it is checked.  This will populate your shortcuts with an icon

- On the icon which looks like a screen with padlock in front - click to unlock.

- This should allow the command line to now be selected and moved.

-Rich

Message 15 of 23
chelseaED7QW

thank you! 

Message 16 of 23
lenauer007

None of the advice listed worked for me. 

After command line disappeared, the above fixes only gave me an undockable text window (Command line)

Read Elsewhere how to fix it for me.

Hit CTRL+9

Docked Command Line Re-Appeared.

Message 17 of 23
cadffm
in reply to: lenauer007

CTRL+9 is the same as command CommandLine, it is for ON/OFF only.

Can you move(drag) the commandline?

If not check your LOCKUI setting.

Normally you can drag  and dock the CL like all other palettes too.

- Sebastian -
Message 18 of 23
lenauer007
in reply to: cadffm

See Attached screenshot

Message 19 of 23
steven-g
in reply to: lenauer007

So what exactly is your problem? the text window found by pressing F2 is a completely different thing to the dockable command line, and shouldn't be compared to each other. You have the commandline across the bottom of your screen are you hoping to do something else with that commandline palette? And no the text window F2 cannot be docked it is never intended to be docked, it can be dragged onto a second monitor but not docked.

Message 20 of 23
lenauer007
in reply to: steven-g

I have no problem anymore, The CTRL+9 fixed my problem,

That is why i decided to post my fix on this board since this solution had not yet been provided.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost