Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command line based text editor for scripts

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
BWYarger
1531 Views, 10 Replies

Command line based text editor for scripts

I need a command line based text editor for scripts.  Textedit wants to use an in place editor.  Switching DTEXTED does not make a difference. 

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10, 11
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Charles_Shade
in reply to: BWYarger

Try TEXTED

DTEXTED

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 3 of 11
BWYarger
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Texted and dtexted are the same thing.  0 brings up an in place editor.  1 bring up the dialog box, 2 brings up the in place editor and repeats.  I need an options that allows editing from the command line for scripts since once the in place editor or dialog box opens, the script hangs waiting on user input.

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Message 4 of 11
Charles_Shade

How 'bout this:

MTEXTED

To get you to an alternate Text Editor

(I'm throwing this out but I do not think it is what you are looking for either)

Message 5 of 11
BWYarger
in reply to: Charles_Shade

There is no command line editor in MTEXTED options.

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Message 6 of 11
pendean

Unless I am missing something in your posts, there is no "command line text editor for scripts" inside AutoCAD: in fact there is no "pop-up text editor for scripts" inside AutoCAD either, just the aforementioned MTEXT editor.

Start Windows Notepad if you want to create and/or edit script files: resize the AutoCAD program window and place it adjacent the Windows Notepad window and bug test and rewrite using both programs side-by-side.

Message 7 of 11
BWYarger
in reply to: pendean

I need the command line editor to change the text in a drawing.  I am using a script to insert a block, explode it once that that text is no longer part of the block, and to change the text from "##" to an actual number.  I use Excel to generate the scripts which allows me to easily input the desired number in the proper place in the script, but none of the AutoCAD edit commands seem to work with scripts. 

I am starting to wonder if using attributes may be a better way than trying to edit plain text. 

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Message 8 of 11
pendean

using attributes may be IS THE better way.

Message 9 of 11
bryce.thelin

I would agree with Dean that attributes would be a better way to go. Would you be able to rework your block?

I would suggest submitting a feature request for a command line text editor. Here is the link:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Bryce Thelin
AutoCAD Product Support
Message 10 of 11
BWYarger
in reply to: bryce.thelin

I converted the blocks so that the text in them uses attributes.  That solved the immediate problem.

On the other hand, it still would be nice if I did not have to stray from the command line to see what I am editing.  I will think about it a little more since this is the first time that it has come up for me in 20+ years of using AutoCAD.  In day to day editing, I would be looking at the text in the drawing area instead of trying to edit it with a script.  If I think it would be useful in the future I will put it on the wish list.

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Message 11 of 11
bryce.thelin

Excellent! Please mark your last post or one of the others as an accepted solution. Thank you.

Bryce Thelin
AutoCAD Product Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost