Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Scale (Size) without Changing Dimensions?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
FLHX
98313 Views, 10 Replies

Change Scale (Size) without Changing Dimensions?

I have a drawing in model space, which I'd like to make larger so it's easier to see.  It's already dimensioned, but when I use the Scale function, to make it, say, 3X bigger, all the dimensions change by a factor of 3.

What I need is for everything, the dimensions included, to just get bigger, without the dimensions actually changing.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Charles_Shade
in reply to: FLHX

You need to change the Dim Scale Linear of the Dimension to .3

Click on one dimension and open the Properties window and look for this variable.

It may show up in Quick Properties too.

You can right click and Select Similar once the Dim is highlighted and get them all at once or Match Properties to the others after you have done the first.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 3 of 11
Charles_Shade

...but then if you do this regularly you may want to get into annotative dimensions and text...

Message 4 of 11
Bob_Zurunkle

You are scaling your model larger? Therefore it is no longer 1:1? We used to make it a block and scale that about 12 years ago, when we only used modelspace.

If you use the layout tabs (paperspace) for arranging and annotating scaled views of your model (which continues to reside in modelspace), then you should be able to accomplish what you seek to do without scaling your model up. After that, annotative dimensions can be applied on a per-viewport basis or the program can be adjusted to auotmatically resize them for the view...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 5 of 11
FLHX
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I tried this and it worked.  It's probably just as easy to use Dimedit, and change the scaled dimensions back to the original values.

On that note, I notice since I've playing around with my dimscale variables I must have changed something, because now when I scale a view, the size of the objects changes, (gets BIGGER), but the size of the dimension text does not get any bigger.  I have no idea what variable I played around that did this.

Message 6 of 11
Bob_Zurunkle

Start reading into annottion objects. I create mine in paperspace first, to make sure they look acceptable to me when plotted out at 1:1. Then i make them annotative. Some things to go by:

Set LTSCALE, MSLTSCALE, PSLTSCALE & CELTSCALE all to 1. Read into what these functions do. Some of them are the same as though you brought up the linetype dialog box and checked/unchecked some boxes.

In modelspace, get used to changing your CANNOSCALE to match the scale of whatever eventual viewport you have in mind for it. You can change on the fly, but it is 1:1 by default, whereas if you change it for the scale you desire the eventual viewport to show it at, then inserting annotation objects makes more sense.

Practice practice practice. Oh and read read read....

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 7 of 11

Interesting on the Modelspace.

So you are saying that if I want my Section to be twice the size in paperspace I should set CANNOSCALE to 1/2" = 1' while drawing the section at 1:1?

Whereas since my plots are almost always 1/4" =1',  I keep the CANNOSCALE at 1/4" = 1' as I currently do?

Message 8 of 11

That's it. At my job, the plan views are commonly at 3/16" = 1'-0", so I set my CANNOSCALE to that so my annotation objects will come in at the proper scale, instead of the tiny speck one might get if it was set to 1:1. Also, my linetypes show the same as they would look in paperspace in a viewport set at 3/16"=1'-0" scale.

Depending on what I am detailing, the section and plan detail views are at either 3/8"=1'-0" or 1/2"=1'-0", so when I go to work on them I set the CANNOSCALE accordingly. For example I have a centermark DynBlk that is also annotative, so it will have at least 2 scales assigned to it -- 1 for the plan view and 1 for the plan detail. I also do some detail views at 3"=1'-0". Modelspace never loses that 1:1 drawing scale relationship. Changing CANNOSCALE on the fly just changes how you view the scales of annotation objects, so you no longer have to ask why is my hidden linetype solid, or why is my light switch a speck lol...

Message 9 of 11
sdl853
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

HELLO SIR. I DONT TO DRAW IN SCALE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO DRAW IN SCALE , 150 SCALE  OR  1:100 SCALE IN DECIMAL SIR PLEASE HELP ME

Message 10 of 11
pendean
in reply to: sdl853

In AutoCAD you draw at 1:1 scale: a meter is drawn as a meter for example.
Message 11 of 11
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: sdl853

To elaborate on Pendean's answer, you draw in modelspace at 1:1 scale. If you plot out of modelspace you need to scale up a border to whatever size works for 1:150, and you set your plot to scale that output back down accordingly.

It is simpler to set up views that convey that 1:150 scale in paperspace (layout tab). You set up the tab to plot out at the size of the sheet you are plotting on, but at 1:1 ( your border might be a D size sheet, and your plot will be to the size of a D size sheet, thus also 1:1). If you then create a viewport in a layout tab, looking at your model that you drew at 1:1 in modelspace, then you can assign a view scale to that viewport (such as 1:150). You may find that a 1:150 viewport of your model is too big for a D size sheet. In that case you can choose a larger sheet for a border, or you can try a different view scale such as 1:200.

Only you can figure what is best for you, through trial and error. Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost