Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you use AC LT 2012 to work on files originally created in AC LT 2005?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
JDDellGuy
305 Views, 4 Replies

Can you use AC LT 2012 to work on files originally created in AC LT 2005?

Hello,

I am not familiar with AutoCad other than knowing what it is used for.

I represent the IT company of a client who is switching from AutoCad 2005 LT to AutoCad 2012 LT.  Our client is concerned that their previous files may not work properly in AutoCad 2012 LT.

Can someone inform me on the following?

1. Can AutoCad 2012 LT open and view files created in AutoCad 2005 LT?

2. Can Autocad 2012 LT modify files originally created in AutoCad 2005 LT?  (Including saving them.)

3. Is it necessary to convert files from the 2005 version of AutoCad LT to the 2012 version?  If so, how would we have to go about doing this?

From a brief search in the forum, it seems that some issues may occcur between various versions of AutoCad LT when opening/modifying/saving files created in earlier versions.  I'm just looking for someone to confirm if this is the case with AutoCad 2005LT and AutoCad 2012 LT per the above three questions.

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Charles_Shade
in reply to: JDDellGuy

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No

However, the are some proxy entities that you will add in AutoCAD LT 2012 to the drawing that will not translate well if you need to save back to LT 2005 for any reason.

Any reason not to switch to the current shipping version LT 2014?

Message 3 of 5
JDDellGuy
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Thank you,

Will the new file be "saveable" as a 2012 file?

Or will it have to remain as a 2005 file to avoid issues?

Essentially, is it possible to do a "save as" and save the file as a newer version of the file?  In fact, will we have to do that if newer objects, such as the proxy entities are added?  Or will the 2005 file just accept newer components such as the proxy entities?

I am not sure on the details, as I'm not directly working on the project, but I think the client has already purchased the 2012 version and just hadn't switched over yet for whatever reason.

Message 4 of 5
dgorsman

In general, you can open DWG files in newer versions without too many problems; if customization was done (e.g. additional/modified SHX fonts, linetypes, CTB/STB, etc.) those changes will need to be duplicated as well.

Something very helpful to keep at hand for different DWG versions is the latest release of TrueView - free (no license) DWG viewer which also contains a batch converter for downsaving large numbers of files.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 5
Charles_Shade

Unless you change the default the file, when saved, will be Saved with the 2010 Format.

Once you open the file it will be SavedAs a 2010 Format so there is nothing special you need to do.

2000, 2004, 2007, 2010, and 2013 are the current Formats for Saves of DWG Files - for the most part.

dgorsman makes a point that any customizations that you may have in the 2005 version; say a Font type or Hatch pattern, will need to be installed in the LT 2012 Support Folders to be available on the 2012 LT.

You may notice things missing and that may be the culprit.

There will also be Variables and Settings that will not be the same between the two Programs and will need to be set to achieve the same feel.

Also when you install the LT 2012 you may want to set the Workspace to Classic and downlod and install all Service Packs. Though I would encourage you to learn the Ribbon interface and the power or the CUI.

ARRAYCLASSIC may be something else to default to but again learning the new Array Command will be well worth it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost