Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Add New View Window to Sheet

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
3911 Views, 9 Replies

Can't Add New View Window to Sheet

In ACLT14, where is the option to add new view windows on a sheet? It appears to be either missing or greyed out on my screen. 

aclt14.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

are you looking for MVIEW command or something else?
Message 3 of 10
KateMorricalTowne

The catch is in the title of the panel with the greyed-out options: "Model Viewports". Those tools are for working with viewports in model space, which is why they're not available in paper space/layouts.

Check out the "Layout" tab instead for layout viewport commands. (You'll notice that those commands aren't available in model space too.)

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager, Washington DC
BIMmuse.com
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: KateMorricalTowne

In model space, the model viewports panel is enabled. In layout/paper space model viewports panel is disabled, which is ok. But there is no layout viewports panel, or Viewports Panel as described in the help for "To Create a New Layout Viewport", when focus is on a layout tab and in paper space. That panel is missing. A workaround might be to use the command line alternative, or to change the "user interface". Whether this behaviour is a side effect of an upgrade of an earlier version, i.e. an adjustment of the user interface to an earlier version, or not, I don't know. I could not find a way to add the Layout Viewports panel either.

(This regards AutoCAD LT 2014 SP1.)

Message 5 of 10
pendean

Are you sure the panel is not turned off? right-click on the Ribbon in every tab and ensure all panels are turned on.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

When following the instruction to check whether Layout Viewports panel is enabled or not in the View tab, I can only find that all available View tab panels are enabled, and among them is no Layout Viewports panel, only the enabled or disabled Model Viewports panel.

The attachment (pdf document) contains some images (only snapshots of AutoCAD LT desktop, and explanatory text), which depict my attempts to find and enable a Layout Viewports panel.

Layout viewports can also be created as a workaround, using MVIEW, for example following this procedure:

1. Create, or define a closed rectangular or polygonal area in the layout.
  2. MVIEW
  3. Choose Polygonal
  4. Pick the boundary of the viewport in the layout, for example using the closed perimeter of what was created in 1.
  5. Press ENTER. Ready

However, the object(s) created in 1 cannot be deleted, without deleting also the viewport, it seems. Highlighting the viewport and deleting it, will delete the viewport, but not the original object(s). Using the Home → Erase button and selecting everything within a selection window will delete both the viewport and the original object(s).

When I first installed AutoCAD LT 2014, or when I opened it for the first time, it asked me whether I wanted it to adopt to my previous installed version (AutoCAD LT 2010), which I said OK to. However, I have not chosen to revert to older user interface styles, but wanted to use the latest default style, although it requires time to get fully acquainted to it. Could this have had some side effect on tabs, menues and panels?

Message 7 of 10
pendean

So you migrated from LT2010? Resetting LT2014 would put it back to "factory settings" http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-...
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Resetting AutoCAD LT 2014 to factory default did not fix the Layout Viewports panel problem. This panel does not show and cannot be turned on by right clicking the ribbon and selecting the Show Panels menu.

Message 9 of 10
pendean

Then I suspect you are looking for sometyhing that is not there.

Looking at your notes in the PDF you posted, not the images:
1. You want the viewport panel to show up but want it to appear in the VIEW tab? It's in the LAYOUT tab instead.
2. You want to magically erase a POLYGON you used to create a viewport without deleting the resulting vewiport: correct? There is no polygon, it got converted to a viewport. Just like it says in HELP. If you just want to hide the outline, put the viewport on it's own layer and freeze that layer: outline goes away, content of the viewport stay.

Let me know if you need any more help.
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Well, that made a significant difference - problem solved - thanks!

I relied on the help for creating a (layout) viewport, but the help was incorrect, as it appeared (see below).

Searching the help topics: Create viewport, orCreate layout viewport

gives this result as one of many related:

--------- 

To Create a New Layout Viewport

1. Click View tab  Viewports panel
  2. In the Viewports dialog box, New Viewports tab, under Standard Viewports, select Single.
  3. Click to specify one corner of the new layout viewport.
  4. Click to specify the opposite corner.

A new layout viewport object is available and displays a default view. To adjust the view, double-click within the layout viewport to access model space.

---------  

Nothing indicates the Layout Viewport panel is in the Layout tab.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost