Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block Editor Help

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
AutoCADwookie
946 Views, 21 Replies

Block Editor Help

Hi There, 

I'm looking for some help in getting a block to function the way I want it to. 

I would like to have a piece of text be able to update to a set amount based on the angle that its rotated to. I so far have it set up where the text will move how I want it to, but I cant for the life of me figure out how to get it to update automatically without setting up a million different visibility settings.
Can anyone please give me some direction if want I want to do is even possible.

I'm running AutoCAD LT 2012.

Thanks!
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Post your Block

Have you tried a Field in your Block?

Blockplaceholder, Rotation maybe?

Like all Fields this would require a REGEN to update

Message 3 of 22

Or the Field, Object, Angle for the entity that is rotated?

Message 4 of 22

I'll add my block here. For some reason when I go to add a blockplaceholder, it says that its only available in block editor... but im in block editor when doing this... ?

So confused.

The application for this would be to follow radial fuel tank circumference, and give accurate dimension of nozzle location based on angle orientation. 

Thanks for your suggestions so far!

Message 5 of 22

Is the DynBlk in question testy?

If so check the attachment.

You will need to do a REGEN to get it to update. If this is it we would need to work on where the angle is measured from.

Message 6 of 22

I think I am leading you astray here haha. 

With the block, I want to rotate its entirity to a specific angle (that I determine by using the grip), but I want the feet and inches as well as the metric convertion to update automatically to a specific value based on that angle.

There are specific values of feet and inches based on the angle.

Am I making sense here? haha. Its hard to explain but thank you for helping me out!

Yes testy was the dynamic block. Really need to purge that other stuff out.

Message 7 of 22

All right I got it now.

You may need to assign a Dim string to the items in question to get the number to update. (Just thinking out loud.) It would be no plot and just there to grab a Field from.

Can you put together a static example of what it should look like? That may help me to see which way to go. You can have 2 or 3 or 4 copies of the dmension on there for reference. This may be an interesting challenge.

Message 8 of 22

Here is a PDF showing how this block would be used. Currently my predecessor used lines and text and rotated them around the tank using the rotate command. She would update the amounts after looking them up on a excel file. Huge amounts of time saving there!

Thanks again! 

Message 9 of 22

Last entry today:

The dimension is the radius? Or what is it?

Is UCS standard in your Modelspace? I think this will affect what the angle is. In your example 0 deg is at the top.

Message 10 of 22

The dimension listed is the overall strapped dimensions of the tank at 360degrees. It works out to be that every 1degree of angle is equal to 0.4792" or 12.1708mm.

So essentially, when I rotate the block to 45 degrees, those number should update to 1'-9 9/16" | [548] and the angle updates to 45degrees

0 degrees is north and rotates clockwise.

I appreciate the amount of time you have taken to help me out here!

Message 11 of 22

Alright here is a start:

The Angle works fine.

The Attrib Distance is the length of the Arc drawn here. LT will not allow you to Stretch an Arc as I believe current Full CAD with Parametrics will so I cannot do more with the Arc. Since it is static it will not update the Field.

However - This would give you the Distance needed by being able to Stretch the Arc and deducting the Piece of Arc you started with.

Message 12 of 22

Very nice!

I am enquiring to autodesk about the cost to upgrade 2012 LT to full version. I miss the 3d capabilites so now would be a good time to get it done. The angle works beautifully. Thank you for your help! 

Message 13 of 22
bgingerich
in reply to: AutoCADwookie

Just to let you know. There is no "upgrade price."  I contacted autodesk and asked the same thing and was told there is no "cross-grade" right now.  (why would there be?)  Also the price for full is around $4,000-$4,500 depending on what you select for subscription.

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Brandon Gingerich
Message 14 of 22
pendean
in reply to: AutoCADwookie

Sometimes, not always, there are special deals where you get at least a minor discount to jump from LT: nothing running now.
Also explore this: http://bit.ly/qRY8OR
Message 15 of 22
AutoCADwookie
in reply to: pendean

I contacted Autodesk and they advised me they dont do cross upgrade from LT to full version. They advised me to refund my LT version and buy the full version. Seems like an extra 2grand.. I think I will just spend the time to use visibility settings to get this under control. 

Message 16 of 22

You also need to post this block in the Dynamic Block Forum

Dynamic Block Forum:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Dynamic-Blocks/bd-p/154

Someone there with Full may pick it up and get the Arc to Stretch or see another solution.

If it is built in the Full version it can be used in LT generally.

Message 17 of 22

Thanks Charles! 

Hopefully someone can get this on the right track. I appreciate your helpfulness!

Message 18 of 22

I was able to get this working using full version of AutoCAD. Constraints are valueable and I think I will be pushing my employer to purchase ASAP.

Thanks again for all the feedback and thanks Charles for your help as well.

Message 19 of 22

Post it I'd like to see.

You're welcome

Message 20 of 22

Here it is.. a few bugs to work out with the correct dimensions displaying but its working pretty nicely.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost