Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bak files are not being created

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
theresaramsay
1943 Views, 8 Replies

bak files are not being created

autocad is not saving backup files automatically, only when i manually save are they updated [defeating the purpose of them].  in my options - open and save - i have my automatic saves set to 3 minutes and am also set to create backup copy with each save.

please help.

thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Holly_Jones
in reply to: theresaramsay

Maybe the files are not being saved where you expect them to be?OPTIONS.png

Message 3 of 9
pendean

You relying on autosave to create BAK files? You pretty much have to give up saving and risk losing everything for that to happen.

Say it isn't so... .

Message 4 of 9
theresaramsay
in reply to: Holly_Jones

thanks for that!  i do see some files there.  still wondering why the bak file in the file i'm working on does not update unless i manually save?

@Holly_Jones wrote:

Maybe the files are not being saved where you expect them to be?OPTIONS.png

Message 5 of 9
theresaramsay
in reply to: pendean

thanks for your reply but i'm not sure what mean? i'm wondering why my backup files aren't backing up unless i save my drawing - which is useless.

Message 6 of 9
pendean

Autosave in AutoCAD doesn't work like Autosave in MSWord: it's best practice to never rely on it and to get in the habit of manually saving regularly. It's best relied on in case of a crash/recovery type scenario only.

Message 7 of 9

i try to save as often as i remember, however i can go an hour without saving and then when my autocad crashes and i try to retrieve my backup file and it hasn't be updated since my last save or worse the previous day - it's frustrating.  i have worked on many autocad setups before this version / computer and never had this problem.  my coworkers also don't have this problem but can't help. i thought perhaps someone could show be how to fix this issue.

thanks for trying.

Message 8 of 9

Many here have added the Save command to oft used OOTB Commands and custom Macros.

Helps to create that Save without thinking about it.

3 Minutes may be too quick. Try 10 and see if you get better results; though with the Sage advice that has been given, it is better to Save early and often.

Also a SAVE or QSAVE wil reset the backup clock so it is possible to not create a backup during a CAD session.

Message 9 of 9
pendean

After a crash, you need to go to your system temp folder and look for SV$ files with the same name as your DWG file: check the time to ensure it's later than your DWG file, rename the extension, and 95% of the time you will recover more content than a BAK file after a crash.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost