AutoCAD LT General Discussion

AutoCAD LT General Discussion

theresaramsay
Message 1 of 9 (184 Views)

bak files are not being created

184 Views, 8 Replies
03-12-2013 11:05 AM

autocad is not saving backup files automatically, only when i manually save are they updated [defeating the purpose of them].  in my options - open and save - i have my automatic saves set to 3 minutes and am also set to create backup copy with each save.

please help.

thanks

Contributor
Holly_Jones
Message 2 of 9 (159 Views)

Re: bak files are not being created

03-12-2013 12:24 PM in reply to: theresaramsay

Maybe the files are not being saved where you expect them to be?OPTIONS.png

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 3 of 9 (153 Views)

03-12-2013 02:21 PM in reply to: theresaramsay

You relying on autosave to create BAK files? You pretty much have to give up saving and risk losing everything for that to happen.

Say it isn't so... .

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
theresaramsay
Message 4 of 9 (150 Views)

03-12-2013 02:30 PM in reply to: Holly_Jones

thanks for that!  i do see some files there.  still wondering why the bak file in the file i'm working on does not update unless i manually save?

Holly_Jones wrote:

Maybe the files are not being saved where you expect them to be?OPTIONS.png

theresaramsay
Message 5 of 9 (148 Views)

03-12-2013 02:32 PM in reply to: pendean

thanks for your reply but i'm not sure what mean? i'm wondering why my backup files aren't backing up unless i save my drawing - which is useless.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 6 of 9 (143 Views)

03-12-2013 02:46 PM in reply to: theresaramsay

Autosave in AutoCAD doesn't work like Autosave in MSWord: it's best practice to never rely on it and to get in the habit of manually saving regularly. It's best relied on in case of a crash/recovery type scenario only.

theresaramsay
Message 7 of 9 (141 Views)

03-12-2013 02:53 PM in reply to: theresaramsay

i try to save as often as i remember, however i can go an hour without saving and then when my autocad crashes and i try to retrieve my backup file and it hasn't be updated since my last save or worse the previous day - it's frustrating.  i have worked on many autocad setups before this version / computer and never had this problem.  my coworkers also don't have this problem but can't help. i thought perhaps someone could show be how to fix this issue.

thanks for trying.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 8 of 9 (134 Views)

03-12-2013 06:56 PM in reply to: theresaramsay

Many here have added the Save command to oft used OOTB Commands and custom Macros.

Helps to create that Save without thinking about it.

3 Minutes may be too quick. Try 10 and see if you get better results; though with the Sage advice that has been given, it is better to Save early and often.

Also a SAVE or QSAVE wil reset the backup clock so it is possible to not create a backup during a CAD session.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 9 of 9 (120 Views)

03-13-2013 05:31 AM in reply to: theresaramsay

After a crash, you need to go to your system temp folder and look for SV$ files with the same name as your DWG file: check the time to ensure it's later than your DWG file, rename the extension, and 95% of the time you will recover more content than a BAK file after a crash.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!