Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Save Problems

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
redsox2414
547 Views, 7 Replies

Automatic Save Problems

Hello, I am using AutoCAD LT 2009 on Windows XP.  Earlier this afternoon AutoCAD froze up and crashed.  Upon restarting AutoCAD and reopening the drawing I had been working on, the Drawing Recovery Manager failed to provide me with any backup or autosave files that should have been created during the 45min I was working on the drawing in question.  Knowing that I had autosave set up, I double checked my autosave folder and found that the most recent file in the folder was dated mid April 2010.  I then verified my "Automatic Save File Location" (options/file tab) and sure enough, the autosave file location was correct.  I then proceeded to verify my autosave settings (options/open & save/file safety precautions) and was shocked by what I discovered.  The "Automatic Save" box was unchecked and the "Minutes Between Saves" field was empty. 

After making this discovery, I rememebred that this same phenomenon had happened to me before.  Back in January 2010 I suffered an AutoCAD crash and upon attempting to recover the file I was working on, I discovered that the most recent file in my autosave folder was dated early July 2009.

It appears as though something is causing my autosave settings to change and the only time I find out about it is after I suffer a crash.  Is this a common issue?  Are there any resolutions?  Thank you for your help, I greatly appreciate it!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: redsox2414

tsk tsk for waiting 45minutes without saving: I appreciate the occasional 'focus' session, we all do it.

What I do is add SAVETIME variable and my preferred setting for it as a macro at the beginning of my menu entries for SAVE, PLOT and others that I tap all the time. That way I know at least it gets reset regularly.

Message 3 of 8
redsox2414
in reply to: pendean

I know...SAVE, SAVE, SAVE! 

Thank you for the macro tip, I'll give it a try.  Prior to upgrading to 2009LT, I had been using the full version of 2006 and never had autosave problems.  However, with the 2006 version I think I experienced a crash once a day...so in comparison I suppose I can live a crash once every 6 months and no autosave.

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 8
pendean

I believe PUBLISH toggles the variable off if I recall correctly: my fix seems to have worked for some time so I never have worried about it much.

Message 5 of 8
redsox2414
in reply to: pendean

Interesting...I use the PUBLISH command on a regular basis.  Odd how the autosave setting would be affected by using publish.  Thanks again!

Message 6 of 8
Mike686

i have the same problem, i know i've set the autosave on but everytimes autocad crash the **** thing was set off, i use publish too

so whats going on with it?

because i use publish the autosaves setting switch from on to off??

this sucks..... a lot

someone have an idea how to fix the problem?

Product Design Suite 2017
Message 7 of 8
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Mike686

I've read that it is not a problem but a neccessary evil.

If Autosave runs during a Publish operation then the Publish Command is interrupted and results in a page not printing fault.

This should be written the other way around by Autodesk or an Autosave added to the front end of Publish so the time resets or as Dean has suggested adding SAVETIME to the Macro's in the CUI.

Message 8 of 8
Mike686
in reply to: Charles_Shade

i see

can you help me a little bit more about this, like how do you do the macros for the SAVETIME

and when i'll add it, i'll just have to click on it frequently to make sure the autosave is on

Product Design Suite 2017

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost