Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad multiple text edits DDEDIT VS TEXTEDIT

41 REPLIES 41
SOLVED
Message 1 of 42
adam_d
8747 Views, 41 Replies

Autocad multiple text edits DDEDIT VS TEXTEDIT

I have just upgraded from autocad LT 2013 to 2015.  I used to be able to type ED command for multiple text edits, Ie i could click one text box type in it click anywhere away from the box and without hitting return or space click the next text box which would open for editing and so on. Its not much but its an extra keyboard stroke i dont need.

I have noticed in the pgp file

2013 - ED  *DDEDIT

2015 - ED  *TEXTEDIT

But if i input DDEDIT it changes the command to TEXTEDIT

Any help please?

41 REPLIES 41
Message 21 of 42
Rod_Carroll
in reply to: pendean

As a followup to maryannet suggestion, it is possible to create a new command and use this instead of modifying the exisiting command as she suggested.  I don't know of any specific harm from altering this original command, but I am reluctant to do this.

1. CUI

2. Create a New Command button

3. Name "TEXTEDIT Mult" - suggested

4. Command Display Name - doesn't matter because LT cannot use it in the command line.

5. Macro - "^C^C_Multiple TEXTEDIT"

6. Drag this command to the double click option for text and as an option for mtext.

As maryannet stated, it takes three clicks to get started, but after that it is good.

Message 22 of 42
biedanne
in reply to: Rod_Carroll

I used maryannet's suggestion and so far, everything is working as expected. 

I will take Dean's suggestion and contact Autodesk and let them know how much this is missed.

Message 23 of 42
Cromm
in reply to: biedanne

I know that this is something of an old post, but my office updated from ACADE 2014 to 2016 this week and I lost this functionality (I didnt know how much I loved it until it was gone).  I have tried to set up the macro as described in this post, but I cannot seem to make it work.

>CUI

>[right click] Double Click Actions

>>New Double Click Action

>Rename

>[drag] TEXTEDIT command from Command List to new Double Click Action

>[edit] Macro: ^C^C_Multiple TEXTEDIT

>[click] Apply

>[click] OK

function acts as it did before creating the new action, no change.  Am I not entering the macro correctly?  Maybe I've missed a step, or formatted the macro command incorrectly?  Any help would be appreciated, especially if I could find a list of macro commands (such as "_multiple").

Thank you

Message 24 of 42
pendean
in reply to: Cromm

Why do you need "multiple"? double-click editing only applies to a single object at a time. As you double-click each single object, and command comes up.
If you are looking for it to start or allow you a second line, that's now gone. Might be time to switch to MTEXT instead.

Re-read the part about how starting in AutoCAD2015 DDEDIT command went away and was replaced with TEXEDIT command above: It does not behave the same way and the macro posted above is only meant to be used as a command launch fix and nothing else.

Hope that helps.
Message 25 of 42
maryannet

The Macro is

^C^C_multiple _textedit

You are missing the underscore in from of textedit

Message 26 of 42
maryannet

The Macro is
^C^C_multiple _textedit
You are missing the underscore in front of textedit
Message 27 of 42
maryannet
in reply to: Rod_Carroll

This is fixed in AutoCAD 2017.  Yay!

Message 28 of 42
pendean
in reply to: maryannet

AutoCAD LT 2017 New Feature: The TEXTEDIT command now automatically repeats http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACDLT/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-B829755C-418B-451C-9555-5487132A0EE2
Message 29 of 42
clayrose

I found this thread while attempting to use my old reliable multiple text edit lisp I got many moons ago.  After realizing that the DDEDIT command is no longer, I simply replace the command in my lips routine to TEXTEDIT.

This mte.lisp routine allows you to select multiple texts by single clicking them, and then just type the entries one after the other.  This routine that I have attached is invoked by the comand XX.

Message 30 of 42
chunkyman
in reply to: adam_d

You can actually go under "Edit Alias" under the "Management Tab" and scroll down to the "TEDIT" and change it to whatever you are comfortable with. If you prefer to keep the default command and still want to use the command you prefer, just add in an additional line. For example:

TA, *TEXTALIGN
TB, *TABLE
TEDIT, *TEXTEDIT
TH, *THICKNESS

Change to:

TA, *TEXTALIGN
TB, *TABLE
TEDIT, *TEXTEDIT

DDEDIT, *TEXTEDIT
TH, *THICKNESS

All versions of AutoCAD from the ones I know (at least to from 2000) has this ability change alias.

Message 31 of 42
maryannet
in reply to: chunkyman

This has actually been "fixed" in AutoCAD and the command behaves as is did before.  Those not on 2017 will find the information helpful.

Message 32 of 42
RobinSimmons7767
in reply to: biedanne

No one thought about it.  In Autodesk's efforts to make the software better, they have only made it more complicated and frustrating to use.  I want the DDEDIT command back as well.  I like to save text editing to the end and go from text to text without having to restart the command.  I am using 2014 for that reason.

Message 33 of 42
RobinSimmons7767

Just bring back the DDEDIT command.  Based on what I am reading, a lot of people are POed about losing the command.  Why mess with something that works well.

Message 34 of 42

They fixed the command in 2017? I haven't upgraded to 2017 yet.
Message 35 of 42
pendean
in reply to: RobinSimmons7767

Yes, TEXEDIT command now behaves like DDEDIT startng with AutoCAD/LT2017, just like maryannet wrote above about two weeks ago.
Message 36 of 42
RobinSimmons7767

Do I type DDEDIT as I did before? That command is ingrained in my mind.

Robin H. Simmons, PE
Principal/Structural Engineer
Structural Design Services, PLLC
(540) 237-4370
Message 37 of 42

It is back in AutoCAD 2017

Message 38 of 42

Yes, it is back in 2017

Message 39 of 42

I have mine set to got into the command by double clicking the text.

Message 40 of 42
pendean
in reply to: RobinSimmons7767

You can add that DDEDIT (or anything else)in your PGP file to call TEXTEDIT command if it's not there already: one of the oldest features in LT is to rename commands like that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost