Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad multiple text edits DDEDIT VS TEXTEDIT

41 REPLIES 41
SOLVED
Message 1 of 42
adam_d
8647 Views, 41 Replies

Autocad multiple text edits DDEDIT VS TEXTEDIT

I have just upgraded from autocad LT 2013 to 2015.  I used to be able to type ED command for multiple text edits, Ie i could click one text box type in it click anywhere away from the box and without hitting return or space click the next text box which would open for editing and so on. Its not much but its an extra keyboard stroke i dont need.

I have noticed in the pgp file

2013 - ED  *DDEDIT

2015 - ED  *TEXTEDIT

But if i input DDEDIT it changes the command to TEXTEDIT

Any help please?

41 REPLIES 41
Message 2 of 42
rkmcswain
in reply to: adam_d

Message 3 of 42
pendean

Old command is gone. Not much you can do about it AFAIK.
Do you double click to launch the editor instead of typing? A tad faster method to edit almost everything and not just text.
Message 4 of 42
Iceberg71

For those looking for a keyboard shortcut its:

TE

Message 5 of 42
pendean
in reply to: Iceberg71

I suspect you missed the point of this discussion my Icy friend: the user wants the old DDEDIT command back. It was replaced by a command they do NOT want, TE aka TEXTEDIT.

See the link above in reply #2 from HELP in 2015 for a list of dead comamnds, DEDIT was removed.
Message 6 of 42
adam_d
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the info its a shame they removed it, DEDIT was very handy for me. I now Use multiple command before my text command which works the same as DEDIT.
Message 7 of 42
biedanne

I came looking for this very same thing. I really, really, really (that's 3 reallys if anyone is counting) miss the ability to double click on text to edit it, then go on to the next line of text without having to start the command again. I suppose I'll get used to it, but I've started all manner of odd commands, thinking I was in the edit window when I wasn't. Maybe I need to scale back on the mindless editing.

Is the new command really better, or didn't anyone think about it?

Message 8 of 42
michilson
in reply to: biedanne

I like the double click to and I as well just upgraded from 2012 to 2015 here's how to fix the double click.

Go to:

Tools:

Customize:

Interface:

DOUBLE CLICK ACTIONS:

TEXT:

Select the Comand under that.

On the right window under properties change the macro from ddedit to textedit

Hit ok and close.

Now you can double click text to pull up the editor!

Enjoy guys!

Message 9 of 42
rkmcswain
in reply to: michilson

So are you saying that in the 2015 stock menu, the command macro still calls "ddedit"? OR are you talking about your own custom menu? If the former, that needs to be submitted as a defect.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 10 of 42
michilson
in reply to: rkmcswain

When I openned mine yes the Double Click on Text Macro still had DDedit listed not Textedit!

So not sure if it was something with my install or if that's normal. Look at yours if you have ddedit then its a bug! if not then it's mine!

I had migration issues after install.

Message 11 of 42
pendean

DDEDIT is a shortcut for TEXTEDIT in LT2015: look it up in the ACLT.PGP file where shortucts are stored. Your migration from 2012 probably broke it (and a lot of other things you are posting about).

LT2015 OOTB has no issues double-clicking to edit text or mtext: perhaps @biedanne has a bad install (or they migrated from some older version?). it also called TEXTEDIT command.

Message 12 of 42
maryannet

Go to:

Tools:

Customize:

Interface:

DOUBLE CLICK ACTIONS:

TEXT:

Select the Comand under that.

On the right window under properties change the macro from ddedit to textedit

And if you want to stay in the TEXTEDIT command until you hit escape change the macro to

^C^C_multiple _textedit

Worked for me!!!

Message 13 of 42

Interestingly, I found a solution! After changing the macro as suggested in other replies to ^C^C_multiple;_textedit, I was also struggling. But suddenly Eureka! Eureka!!  If I double click a dimension first, then I get into the mode of changing multiple texts or dimensions. But if I double click a text first then I dont get multiple editing mode.

Message 14 of 42

You have to double click to get into the command. Then click the text to edit. So really you triple click the first text you are editing.  Each edit after is a single click.

Message 15 of 42
Rod_Carroll
in reply to: pendean

Dean,

As opposed to your usually excellent response this seems to miss tthe mark, the issue is that we have to double click now. 

This is an annoying change.  For those of us who have to deal with text (electrical), I hate it.  The seem to be copying SolidWorks, even the bad parts.

Message 16 of 42
pendean
in reply to: Rod_Carroll

It is what it is sadly.

Click on the CONTACT US link, find the spot for FEEDBACK and let Autodesk know: ensure you make a distinction between TEXT, MTEXT, MLEADER and Dimension Text objects types since that's not a problem in all of them and if you just tell them "text" you'll probably get ignored for not being precise.
Message 17 of 42
Rod_Carroll

I reread the comment by maryannet and this workaround seems to work well enough.  It seems wrong that I have to redefine an ACAD command, but I was getting tired of endless clicking.  I alos changed the double click action for Attribute Block and MTEXT.

Message 18 of 42
biedanne

Exactly this!

I copy and paste a string of single line txt around my drawing and only need to change the last 2 digits. I'm not afraid of change and stuck the "old ways", but in this case, being able to double click on the 1st one to start the command, make the change, hit enter, then click on the next, make the change, enter, click... vs having to start the edit command on each one slows me down. I keep bouncing back to 2014 just because of this.

Message 19 of 42
pendean
Message 20 of 42
pendean
in reply to: biedanne

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost