Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT2013 Plotting from a Macro

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
LordLucan
1776 Views, 5 Replies

AutoCAD LT2013 Plotting from a Macro

Hi,

I have a large number of drawings with template details of a printer that is now longer available (we moved offices). I therefore want to write a macro that instead of trying to use the template detailed printer and then failing to the None printer instead goes straight to the new printer (Lanier MPC2500). Once I get this basic task completed I'll then add additional functionality.

The macro at present is:-

^C^C-plot;y;; \\mwperdc03\LANIER MPC2500;;A3 (297 x 420 mm);m;l;n;l;1:1;0.00,0.00;y;monochrome.ctb;y;n;n;n;n;y;

I also know where it's failing (the first \ in the path) as this is the macro escape character to enable the user to add information. If I then manually enter (or paste) the link \\mwperdc03\LANIER MPC2500 into the command line and press enter the rest of the macro executes and I get a print output. I've attached a screenshot of the command line for info.

I've read that instead of using the \ character in the path I should use the /. I've tried this but it doesn't seem to work.

Is there another method of embedding paths into Autocad LT so this will operate or a better workaround?

I'd thought of using DIESEL but I can't see any suitable commands in the command library.

>>>>>Why did they choose a \ as and escape character?????

All advise greatly appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
hwalker
in reply to: LordLucan

First things first. Set up your new printer as a page setup in your template.

You can then "IMPORT" that page setup into all your drawings.

Then you can either go to each individual page and change the page setup to your new printer, or when printer just choose the new page setup from the drop down menu

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 6
LordLucan
in reply to: hwalker

Hi hwalker,

I was hoping to write a macro that would do everything for me and I therefore wouldn't have to modify the template.

>>>A single click approach.

Then each time IT changes our printers I'd only have to change the printer details in the macro. For info one of the reasons for using the detailed printer is that we shall soon send it back to the leasing company. However before we do we want to use up all our stocks of Toner (the accountant appreciates this). Once the toner is used we'll then revert to an alternative newer printer.

I'd therefore prefer not to have to modify the templates if possible.

Regards,

Rob

Message 4 of 6
pendean
in reply to: LordLucan

The space in the name is the killer: in a macro it's read as <enter>.

1. Create a PC3 file with a very generic name like PRINTER, point it to whatever the printer of the day is provided by your IT department. When they change printers, simply create another PRINTER.PC3 file and point it to the new printer. All your AutoCAD files will only ever look for PRINTER.PC3 file for a device for the rest of their existance.

2. Put your printer address/name in double-quotes in your macro and see if that helps, for example "\\servername\printername" and see if that will hide the space in the printer name.

3. Ask your IT to quit calling printers by their full name, with spaces: a better approach is naming a printer by department or funciton (mono, color, MFP and so on).

Good luck.
Message 5 of 6
Charles_Shade
in reply to: pendean

And foreslash // can work in Macros in lieu of backslash

Message 6 of 6
LordLucan
in reply to: pendean

Thanks Pendean!

You were spot on!

Apart from one little error on my part.

>>>>I thought I could plot to a file and plot to the printer as well. However the plot to a file command seems to over ride the plot to printer, hence no output. One I removed this I got an output. Although the lineweights were terrible but a few moments tinkering and a few sheets of trial prints and success!

Many thanks again!

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost