Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2015 transition to 3D

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
astephens
776 Views, 3 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2015 transition to 3D

I am a part-time AutoCAD instructor looking to do some occasional work on the side professionally - residential plans, etc. It would be very infrequent random jobs - maybe only one or two a year. I've looked into the $215/monthly option for full version which would work better on my retirement income. Also considering stretching and getting the $1200 LT version (rather than the $4k full version) but my question is if i did the working drawings in ACAD LT, can another architectural or interior designer with the proper software open my drawings to continue the process in 3D for presentation and/or decorative work?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: astephens

"3D" means what to you? LT is not capable of generating 3D Solids or 3D surfaces, and all AutoCAD can do with lines and plines is give them a Z elevation but they are still useless "3d" planes if you expect/anticipate any intelligence added to them.
Message 3 of 4
astephens
in reply to: pendean

I understand that LT is 2D only software. My question is can an LT dwg drawing file be opened by another company/designer in their licensed 3D Autodesk software and be developed into a presentation drawing for their client?

Message 4 of 4
pendean
in reply to: astephens

You've built models back in the day I'm sure, what did you use: string and paper (LT) or clay/wood/glass/plastics/foam/glue etc. (3D modeling software)?

The other designer in the other software will basically redraw what you gave them from LT if they need 3D surfaces and objects for presentations.

You might as well save money and hire them as your drafting service too.

Look into AutoCAD Architecture or REVIT: these draw real walls/doors/windows/roofs etc and not just line on a balnk canvas that look like them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost