Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2015 ortho mode

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
ipi
Advocate
2103 Views, 21 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2015 ortho mode

When creating selections from within a command, such as move, ortho does not work when using either fence or crossing poly. Is there a command to  enable this in 2015?

David Hassan

IP Illustration
www.ipillustration.com
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
pendean
in reply to: ipi

You want Otho to work with the selection methods Fence or crossing Poly? It's not supposed to, fence is a free form selection method just like crossing POLYGON (polygons aren't just rectangles).

Message 3 of 22
ipi
Advocate
in reply to: pendean

In the past I've been able to toggle ortho on or off while using these 2 methods to create selection sets. In 2015 I cannot.

David Hassan

IP Illustration
www.ipillustration.com
Message 4 of 22
pendean

Exactly: finally fixed IMHO
Either way though, there is nothing you can do about it at the moment.

Message 5 of 22
ipi
Advocate

IMHO, needs to be fixed.

These methods of selecting objects *can be* free form if the user so chooses, as it has been since the beginning of time. OR, if the user chooses to use these free form selection methods with a bit of control, i.e., snap or ortho, the user should be able to do so, also as it has been since the beginning of time.

It's frustrating to be required to maintain a subscription, essentially paying for something sight unseen, only to discover that the product has either been rushed to release or someone has determined that 20 year old functionality no longer "makes sense".

Dean, I hope that this will be addressed in the first service pack.

David Hassan

IP Illustration
www.ipillustration.com
Message 6 of 22
pothied

I don't know if this change was intentional or not so I will log a case with development to find out. 

David Pothier

Message 7 of 22
ipi
Advocate
in reply to: pothied

Thank you David

David Hassan

IP Illustration
www.ipillustration.com
Message 8 of 22
ajw3

Yes, Please bring back ortho mode when working with WP or CP selection in any command.  All the drawings we do are done with ortho on and using ortho when selecting objects is much quicker.

Thanks.

Tony Wolak

CAD Operator

Newpage Corp

Message 9 of 22
jeh_uk1
in reply to: ajw3

OK, slightly off topic now, but I encourage all my cad operators to discover polar tracking, and consider using this as an alternative to ortho.

It can be set to do the same as ortho, and so much more!

Jason

F10, NOT F8

Jason
Message 10 of 22
ajw3
in reply to: jeh_uk1

Jason,

Does polar tracking enable an "ortho mode" when using WP or CP for selection when stretching or moving?

Tony

Message 11 of 22
jeh_uk1

Hi Tony,

No, sorry but Polar Tracking works in the same way as the "NEW" ortho.

Jason
Message 12 of 22
ipi
Advocate
in reply to: jeh_uk1

I downloaded and installed SP1 for AutoCAD LT 2015 with much anticipation only to find that these issues have not been addressed. Saddened and disappointed, yet not surprised.

David Hassan

IP Illustration
www.ipillustration.com
Message 13 of 22
pendean

SP! only fixes items identified n the SP1 readme file: was your "issue' listed as an item in there? If not, expecting SP1 to fix it is unrealistic.
Message 14 of 22
ipi
Advocate

<sigh> No, it wasn't listed as a fix, nor are any of my issues listed as fixed in the beta SP2 release notes. Maybe that will be the carrot to reup for 2016? As it stands, though, we're still using 2014 because of the functionality that has been removed from 2015. 

David Hassan

IP Illustration
www.ipillustration.com
Message 15 of 22
ajw3

I guess I am in the wrong forum.  We are running AutoCAD 2015 and not LT.   I have SP1 for AutoCAD 2015 installed but still no ortho when using WP or CP to select objects.  I admit I did not look to see what the service pack included.  My point is why fix something that isn't broken?  Loss of ortho when using WP or CP has definetly slowed me down.

Message 16 of 22
ipi
Advocate

I believe the issue to be with both Auto CAD and LT
David Hassan

IP Illustration
www.ipillustration.com
Message 17 of 22
pendean

Sadly, the SPs only fix (or attempt to fix) what they list as being fixed in the readme files.

As we all like to point out: you do what's best for you. No one will argue that here.
Message 18 of 22
ipi
Advocate

Dean, what is the proper process to submit a bug to AutoDesk?
David Hassan

IP Illustration
www.ipillustration.com
Message 19 of 22
pendean

They can't fix what they don't know is broken (assuming it was a mistake to remove).

Report this issue to Autodesk, posting here is not the best solution:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794
If you are a subscription user, you can report through the Subscription Center as well (as in do it twice).

Message 20 of 22
tim.newton.mobile

Interesting point.  Similarly, if the change in ORTHO functionality was intended as an "upgrade" to finally make it work "correctly", then it should be listed in the New Features (i.e. change log) from 2014 to 2015. Or else one would not expect it to be different.

I agree with the other users that the loss of this functionality make the program less profecient/productive.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Tim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost