Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad LT 2014 becomes slow after opening second dwg

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
suzamata
4372 Views, 25 Replies

Autocad LT 2014 becomes slow after opening second dwg

Autocad LT 2014 works fine when one dwg is open, but after opening a second dwg autocad becomes 'selectively sluggish'. By 'sluggish' I mean panning and zooming are choppy, and switching between paperspace layouts is painfully slow. By 'selective' I mean that the program is slow only when working on the second drawing; I can toggle over to the first dwg that was opened and normal functionality resumes. These are not big files, there are not underlays or xrefs or crazy hatches/dynamic blocks/etc. It happens when working locally or off of the file server.

The only way I can have two drawings open and work normally is to open two instances of Autocad LT 2014 and have a drawing open in each -- then, I can switch back and forth as usual, with normal speeds. Any ideas? 

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
Charles_Shade
in reply to: suzamata

Computer and Video card specs?

Message 3 of 26
braudpat
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Hello

Which PC ? Which Windows , How much memory ?

It could be the "famous" problem : AECCORE.CRX !?

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 4 of 26
suzamata

Windows XP Professional, running on Bootcamp / iMac

2 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT - 256 MB

The "famous problem"? I'm intrigued. 

Message 5 of 26
Charles_Shade

Nothing famous happening on a MAC machine.

You may be better served at the MAC for CAD Forum but I suspect that your RAM is woefully low for your software.

As well as the Video card, assuming it is an onboard card and not a dedicated card. 6+ Gig RAM and a 1 Gig video card would be a start.

Message 6 of 26
dgorsman

If this is, in fact, running under Bootcamp and not VM, then it is running a full version of Windows and the Win version of LT, and this should be the first port o' call.

And second on the system specs.  Even under x32 XP 2 GB RAM is a little light.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 26
braudpat

Hello Charles

He is running a real ACAD LT 2014 for Windows on a Boot Camp partition on the Mac 

with a Real Windows XP Pro etc ...

SO why it can't be the AECCORE.CRX problem !?

But I agree that 2 Gb for Windows XP Pro + ACAD LT 2014, it's a little bit LOW !!

Bye, Pat

If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 8 of 26
pendean
in reply to: braudpat

Everyone, the OP is noting that running two sessions of AutoCAD LT2014 solved the problem. So RAM alone is not the issue.
Message 9 of 26
braudpat
in reply to: pendean

Hello Everyone

So I bet ONE Euro for the AECCORE.CRX problem !?

Bye, Pat

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 10 of 26
suzamata

I've been running older versions of AutoCAD LT on this machine (2008 iMac / Bootcamp / Windows XP Pro) for five years without a problem.

Pat: I read through the "flickering autocad lt 2014" http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-LT-General/AutoCAD-LT-2014/td-p/3821690/page/3 thread since my problems are similar (lagging when two drawings are open, a flickering status area when switching layouts, etc.)   earlier and --just as an experiment--  tried changing AecCore.crx to AecCore.crx.old. I was unable to open AutoCAD after I changed the filename, so I had to change it back.  I know 2GB RAM is on the low side, but it does meet the minimum requirement specified by Autodesk for this version of LT. 

Message 11 of 26
braudpat

Hello from France

So you have tried to REPLACE your standard 2014 AECCORE.CRX (32 bits) by the same file (but coming from ACAD LT 2013 32 bits) ... And it's NOT OK so I lost ONE Euro !

I was almost sure of my diagnostic : sniff, sniff !

Good Luck, Bye, Pat

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 12 of 26
suzamata

Bonjour Pat, 

No, I changed the filename only -- I saw that for some users that worked, while others had to swap the file out with a 2013 version. Or maybe I misunderstood altogether -- anyway, I don't have a 2013 version to copy in, so your theory will have to remain untested for me. 

Message 13 of 26
pendean

In the link you provided, replies 40-43 discuss a successful Windows Registry edit: noguarantee it will work so bakc up the REgistry and now how to restore it before you do so.

>>>...I've been running older versions of AutoCAD LT on this machine ...<<<
That's no guarantee newer versions will be trouble-free.
Message 14 of 26
suzamata

Just to update: I finally got fed up this morning with this issue (slow to zoom, pan, and switch layouts when two or more drawings are open) and tried Pat's suggestion again. I changed the AecCore.crx file located in 2014 LT to "AecCore.crx.old" and copied in the "AecCore.crx" file from True View 2013.

So far, it has solved the problem, although I realize it may cause other unforeseen issues.

Message 15 of 26
jaco

I have similar issues.

Win 7, Core i7 3.2Ghz, 16GB RAM and a Quadro 1800. Latest drivers and BIOS. All service Packs Installed.

When opening a second DWG it bulks down and also has that flickering notification area.

I am going to try this.

Funny thing is, I have 8 similar PC's and only this one has this problem.
Jaco Burger | IT Guy
Message 16 of 26
jaco
in reply to: jaco

Okay it does work when you rename it.

We will see if there is any side effects to this.
Jaco Burger | IT Guy
Message 17 of 26
Charles_Shade

@Anonymous wrote:
I have similar issues.

Funny thing is, I have 8 similar PC's and only this one has this problem.

And that is likely why Autodesk has not offered a fix for this.

What is the one thing that is wrong with the one PC?

Message 18 of 26
jaco

As mentioned throughout the feed. Opening a second DWG makes it hard to work due to slow response time, zooming, panning. And there seem to be a flickering at the bottom right by the notification area.

Renaming the AecCore.crx file seems to fix it. Non of the other PC's running CAD LT 2014 has these simptoms.

Jaco Burger | IT Guy
Message 19 of 26
Charles_Shade

I meant that as a rhetorical question. Autodesk cannot fix one pc out of dozens; they have to think about the dozens.

Message 20 of 26
jaco

Oh. Yeah sorry.
Jaco Burger | IT Guy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost