Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2013 Fatal Error

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
BarneyMack
4263 Views, 10 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2013 Fatal Error

While inserting blocks into my dwgs I get this Auto CAD LT Error Aborting Message

FATAL ERROR: Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0x0040 Exception at d971cabbh

Ihave tried restarting the machine and repairing the program. My next step is a compltete reinstall.

Any answers to this problem?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
pendean
in reply to: BarneyMack

Where are the blocks from?

method of insertion?

If you tried to insert blocks from another source does it do the same?

Message 3 of 11
BarneyMack
in reply to: pendean

the blocks are from different dwgs located in a common folder on a remote server in the office

all methods of insertion were tried

the blocks had been inserting fine from the start of last month until yesterday afternoon.

Message 4 of 11
pendean

What changed yesterday afternoon? Did you change PCs? did the remote server reset? Where the files moved? Do you just need to restart your PC? Add hardware? Software?

Does this happen with all files, even if you start a new one? Grab blocks from files on your PC?

Message 5 of 11
Matt_Wisehant

At the outset: My system is a brand new Alienware m17x r3 laptop with a quad-core intel i7, 16 GB of ram and well over 400 GB of empty hard disk space.

Even though no solution has been found yet for this, it is a breath of fresh air to see that someone else is airing the same frustraton. I'm not on LT, but the standard Autocad 2013 client (student version), and from what it looks like my problem is identical to yours. I had been inserting blocks into my drawings for at least 2 weeks without a hitch, then suddenly when I tried dragging one of them into the model space, I get the unhandled access violation error message. I used Autocad 2012 student from day one up until 2013 was placed up on the Autodesk student site for download, and not once did it ever give me this problem.

What is especially frustrating is that it seems to be hit and miss as far as when the program crashes. Sometimes I can work around it by right clicking the block thumbnail and hitting insert and it will let me place it in the drawing smoothly. Other times (most often, mind you) even that alternative will fail, and the same old maddening error message appears. I am at at a loss where to turn, because the bulk of my work as a student drafter is done in 2D, and I rely heavily on the sample blocks provided with the program. The student site's complaints forum seems to never be used by anyone actually working for Autodesk who might be able to forward the problem to the coders and engineers. My questions there relating to this topic go unanswered.

What I am hoping beyond hope for is a patch that could address this. I've done about a dozen clean uninstalls and reinstalls to no avail. I hope enough people have this issue that it becomes something that the coders deem worth issuing a patch for. Help please, Autodesk Gods!

Message 6 of 11
pendean
in reply to: Matt_Wisehant

At least now we are establishing a pattern: did yours also stop working yesterday afternoon (or was that the day before)?

Have either of you tried Windows Restore feature to go back a week or two to when it all worked to see if something got installed that messed things up?

Message 7 of 11
Matt_Wisehant

Yes, I tried system restore, and also repairing the program multiple times, in addition to doing clean uninstalls of the program, none of which fixed the issue. This occurs randomly no matter how I try to place the block into the program (i.e. click and hit insert or drag the thumbnail into model space to place the block). 

This appears to be a problem that is in dire need of patching. I've done everything else I can possibly do. This never happened with 2012 at all, and as I said before I used it from day 1 until 2013 was posted. 

BTW, thank you for your timely feedback. Getting responses is much appreciated.

Message 8 of 11
Matt_Wisehant

To your initial question: The crashing and error message problem started happening about a week ago, and I had been using the program since it was posted in late March.

Message 9 of 11
pendean
in reply to: Matt_Wisehant

Not sure a ramdon occurance will be patched unless it becomes a repeated problem everyone has: I've not seen it but I don't have 2013 in production work yet as I have not ported all of my customizations over from LT2012.

Message 10 of 11
Matt_Wisehant

Thats what I was afraid of....it is hard to ascertain why such a thing would happen under otherwise completely normal circumstances. I was using the program strictly for 2D drafting, and had loaded no special scripts or anything else into it. It is a problem that I as a layman have zero possibility of finding a solution for, which is why I was beckoning someone like you who might have sway with Autodesk to at least make the suggestion that it needs to be checked out.

But that being said, your point is well taken. It is a question of priorities.

Message 11 of 11
TheRham

Just went searching for a fix to a problem I had... wanted to throw my .02$ in.

I mostly work in Inventor, and have for a while now.  Sometimes, we have an old AutoCAD dwg to edit, which doesn't make sense to completely redraw.  We have a situation where we need to get a newly crafted Inventor title block (or sketch symbol) inserted into an old AutoCAD dwg.  So, in the past, I'd save the Inventor .idw to a .dwg, the title block (or sketch symbol) would be converted to a block, which I could copy-paste into the old AutoCAD dwg, and it would look fine, and work fine.  Just tried it for the first time in 2013, on Windows 7, and the block in the converted .dwg basically wouldn't copy at all.  It would seem to be working... could see the block, select the block, initiate the command, specify an insertion point... nothing would be created.  Not across dwgs, not even within the same file.  Also, typically the "prompted entry" fields would be converted to "block attributes" (...or whatever they might call them now, lol)... not the case now.  I checked the layer situation... all seemed good.  No idea.  Solution was to explode the block, and copy-paste that, which did work... though obviously not an elegant or fully functional solution.  Don't know... weird... something seems borked w/ AutoCAD 2013s handling of blocks.

If you have another suggestion that is more elegant, I'm all ears.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost