Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2012 - fields in text in blocks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Fabulous1
2329 Views, 5 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2012 - fields in text in blocks

Hello, I want to insert a text into a block that contains a field.  The field I want to look up the value of an attribute that is also contained in the block.  Now when I have this complete and then change the block attribute the fields do not update to the new value of the attribute.  An example file is attached.

Now I am open to creating the block in a different way, so does anyone know of a way to make this concept work?  I want everything to be contained in the block.

I already tried to work around my problem by making 2 separate attributes, where the 2nd attribute contains the field that looks up the value of the 1st attribute - this did not work.  Another thing I tried was after the block was made, I edit the 2nd attribute by inserting the field and this worked fine - the down side is that the field is not the default of the attribute (so the block must already be present in the drawing model space and that instance must be copied to make more).

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: Fabulous1

TEXT and MTEXT objects don't update in blocks, only attributes do.

Here is an old tutorial that may help:

http://www.archidigm.com/lounge/autocad%20tips/fields_in_autocad.htm

Message 3 of 6
Fabulous1

I want to say thanks for the tip, except in my first message it was implied that I already figured that out (see the file attached in the original message) . . . also you read on I explained that I tried using an attribute with the field as the default except that the field would not update when I change what it is referencing.

So again I ask does anyone know how to make this field reference the value of a block attribute properly when the field is located INSIDE the block.  It does not matter what the field is located in, as long as it is inside the block.

Thank you.

Message 4 of 6
Charles_Shade

I've done something similar and found that the Value in the Attrib needs to be left blank in order for the Field that is calling it to be populated.

Essentially when you Insert the Block you will then need to fill in the Value, not have it already populated as you do.

You may not be able to make this change on the fly but may have to remove and recreate the Field Text portion of the Block and/or the Attrib witha  Blank value as well.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 5 of 6
Fabulous1

Charles, I do not understand your idea well enough to re-create it.  Can you post an example?

I think I've tried what it is that you've done, except I must be wrong since the results I encountered were not the same as you described.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 6
Charles_Shade

The block labeled CO-Plan is the one I am referring to.

It is quirky though and I think that has to do with Dyn Blk's not really liking to do what is being asked of it.

Attribs can be a little tempramental in Dyn Blks.

Make sure each Tag is unique and that the Attrib is Locked.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost