Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2012 crashing - far too regular for my liking...

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
garywheatley
443 Views, 7 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2012 crashing - far too regular for my liking...

Has anyone else come across this? I am really getting quite annoyed now.

I use AutoCAD LT 2012 and I have had it since its launch. Everything has been fine until these past few months. It now constantly crashes if I go to place a hatch pattern and the edges are not closed "even though they are" this happens about 1 in 10 times I do it.

Another thing AutoCAD now does is have an absolutely huge lag time when getting blocks from the tool palette. Once upon a time as soon as I clicked on the block, it was instantly in the new drawing. Now it takes around 10 seconds at least.

I have had the same PC since I installed AutoCAD back in 2011/12, it runs windows 7 64 Bit, HP elite PC, i5 3.20Ghz Quad core, 6 Gig Ram, 4 Gig video NVIDIA GT 320.

I constantly clean up the PC, run Clean Sweep, keep Virus Checker & Windows constantly updated.

SO WHAT IS GOING ON WITH AUTOCAD... Does anyone have any idea?

On another note Draftsight & NanoCAD run perfect without incident. I know this because I was sick of AutoCAD and downloaded these two freebies. Which considering they are free, are quite excellent.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Gary.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: garywheatley

WindowsSystem Restore back to a month or year it all worked should fix it: software doesn't suddenly break, you installed or removed or added or removed something that broke it.
Message 3 of 8
garywheatley
in reply to: pendean

Hello Pendean,

Thanks for the reply. But I have tried that already. This problem goes back many many months. AutoCAD just seems to be getting steadily worse. Even when starting up, AutoCAD used to be fairly quick, but now its 30-40 seconds!!

Is there anything else to look out for? any file or files which may be collecting data and getting quite large? The max file size I work with is about 6Mb, so hardly pushing the boundaries.

Another problem I have come across is this. If I double click on a dwg file to start up AutoCAD and edit that file, it comes up with an Error Message. I can't remember the exact message but it is something along the lines of Can not open file XXX? But once AutoCAD has started I can open the file...? This never used to happen.

Regards,

Gary.

Message 4 of 8
pendean

Yep. somehow something messed up the installation. When any program presents you with an error message at startup you can't just ignore it for months and hope it goes away.

Your symptoms are all over the place for an easy fix: first thing to try is to log in as a different user in Windows, start AutoCAD and confirm if the problem still exists. If yes, you are looking at a software rebuild (removal per Autodesk instructions and reinstall). You may also need to remove all .NET and Vusual C++ installs too as part of that process.
Message 6 of 8
garywheatley
in reply to: pendean

When I installed AutoCAD 2 or so years ago EVERYTHING worked as it should and the speed of it was good. I am very particular about what I install on my PC as it is a work machine and I need it to work. I constantly back up onto 3 separate external drives and do an online backup. I am the only person with access to it. I am not a computer idiot.

The Error when starting AutoCAD is just a new thing, and its not when AutoCAD starts the regular way, its only when you click on a dwg file which forces AutoCAD to start. This is when the error is displayed. It still starts up but does not display the file you clicked on, you have to select it once AutoCAD has started.

As mentioned, these "issues" have been a gradual thing. I didn't wake up one morning and BANG all the problems had landed. Its only when I look back after all these problems/errors and realise this is not how it used to be.

So I don't think anything could have messed up the installation as it was and is running fine, but now has a few issues as outlined above.

"Main Issues"

Very slow starting up, you get to see all the files displayed that it is loading in the splash screen, which it displays slowly!!!
(It never used to be)

Very Slow bringing in blocks from the tool palette (10 seconds)

(It used to be instant)

Crashes when using Hatch about 1 in 10 times
(It never used to)
The hatch's I have saved in the tool palette for instant access

Display Error when starting AutoCAD via clicking on a dwg file.

(It never used to)

What if anything could cause these problems?

To reinstall AutoCAD is going to be a right pain in the arse. What I want to know is what/where can be checked or cleaned in AutoCAD or support files to help fix these problems? I don't want to dive in to overkill mode and just hope it works if I do a clean install. And to be honest there is no such thing as a clean install on the same PC as there is always something somewhere lurking from an old installation just waiting to bugger things up.

On another note all other CAD software and other installed software works as it should. It is ONLY AutoCAD I have issues with, oh! and Windows Live Mail...!!!

Regards,
Gary.

Message 7 of 8

IMHO cleaning the PC constantly and allowing Windows to be constantly updated are likely the root of your issues.

Your Registry Cleaner may be a good one that does not muck with Autodesk files and these are few and far between so who knows. Typically an issue there means the program does not start.

Windows updates especially of .NET's I have found to be extremely problematic.

@garywheatley wrote:

The Error when starting AutoCAD is just a new thing, and its not when AutoCAD starts the regular way, its only when you click on a dwg file which forces AutoCAD to start. This is when the error is displayed. It still starts up but does not display the file you clicked on, you have to select it once AutoCAD has started.

Regards,
Gary.

What does your System use to start CAD from a file? The Launcher or the EXE?

Where are your Palettes kept? Locally or on a Network?

How about the files? Locally or on a Network?

Message 8 of 8
pendean

Again, software has no moving parts, software does not just break: software are lines of code, letters and numbers, that are 'locked' from anyone and anything ever editing them outside of Autodesk. Nothing in the prgram eve just breaks.

However, as with all other WIndows programs, it relies on other software to work in Windows (DLLs et al). Change or update or 'clean out' one of these and the problems start. Add to it ignoring warning signs about missing files on startup and not remembering what these are so that the rest of us can help decipher it does not help fixing anything either.

So Problem #1:
- you cannot launch a file when you double-click on it in Windows Explorer: begs the question what is Windows set to use to open a DWG file? Windows controls this aspect: right-click on a DWG file, select OPEN WITH and read what is the default. On my PC with many CAD software and many AutoCAD software it is set to LAUNCHER.EXE which uses the last AutoCAD program I used to open a DWG file. Try that option (for it work work after the change, you must start LT2012, open a file, save then gracefully close the program).

Fix that, then let's decipher together what problem #2 (hatches), then #3 (blockes from toolpalettes) with you providing details and setup information (not symptoms) for these items.

I still believe you ned to perform the 'log in as a different user in Windows' test to confirm problems #1, #2 and #3 still exist before you wholesale remove and reinstall WIndows.

PS: not to sound rude, but other software on your PC is not the issue, they are not relevant on whether they work or not unless your entire setup has gone south (which it has not). DLLs and other 'updates' and cleanups you have done may be the culprit. Common Sense approach to PC management: if it all worked in the year 2011, adding patches and updates to the OS after that year is probably the cause. Going back in time to when it all worked is your ultimate goal my friend.

Help us Help you, no one is questioning you personally about anything else, we don't know you from a brick in the wall at your office/house and have nothing to gain from it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost