Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2012 (32 or 64) New Build IT Questions

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
bmadams1234
1003 Views, 14 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2012 (32 or 64) New Build IT Questions

Hello and thank you for the help.

I am an IT person (not a AutoCAD user). Please hang in there and read this, please.

ANY feedback is very much appreciated.

I am building new systems for a company that now uses AutoCAD LT 2012 3- bit.

Their old systems are old and running Windows XP 32 with 2GB DDR2, no dedicated video.

They are not very tech savvy and have given me a tight budget to work with. Based on the budget, I am building 4 workstations with this hardware:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1035T -6 Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3MB L2 Cache, 2.60GHz (3.10GHz Max Turbo)

RAM: Patriot - 4GB (x1), PC3-10666, DDR3-1333MHz

HD: Seagate 500GB 7200rpm

Video: Dedicated GeForce GT 520 (Zotac) with 1GB DDR3

Please know that it was a squeeze to get this hardware in their budget and they didn’t even spec a dedicated video. I added that. I am very worried that this system is not enough of an upgrade, although they do not seem so concerned with performance. Here are my questions.

1) 32-bit or 64-bit: They asked for 32-bit, concerned with plotter compatibility. I can fix that and will IF AutoCAD LT 2012 64-bit is stable and runs faster then 32-bit?

2) Is the new CPU I listed a go?

3) Is the Video card I listed a go?

4) Should I shut this project down and tell them they just have to spend more money?

This would fall on me if this system causes complaints or an immediate upgrade. And not being an AutoCAD user, I so need your help/experience. Please....

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
pendean
in reply to: bmadams1234

1) Unless they have older software conflicts, the world is headed towards 64bit and LT0212 is a perfect fit. Install and test it, if they have LT2012 then one of the disks in the package is the 64bit installer (if not, better grab the free download now and not later, Autodesk is about to release a newer LT version soon and they tend to stop making older software available for direct downloads).

2) AutoCAD and LT are CPU intensive, 3GHZ speed is recommended: get closer to that number that you have now. Multi-cores makes no difference, no one will see it in AutoCAD/LT. Up the RAM, 4Gig is minimum with Win7 and LT2012 IMHO. 6G or higher is better.

3) I've seen generic ATI graphics cards do well, and I've seen high end graphics cards do well: I've also seen both fail. This remains a mystery to me personally, so wait for others to jump in with recs.

4) Do they need 500Gig HD storage ability on each PC? Do they have a central file server instead? That would be worth asking. IMHO, no office staffer needs a 500Gig HD on their office PC, storage belongs on the server.

Message 3 of 15
Charles_Shade
in reply to: pendean

...and as you Trial this software on these PC's look for the various and many Win 7 Features noted here to turn off or otherwise set aside. Aero Theme being a top problem.

There are also LT 2012 Features that are better not left running. Notably Layer Palette.

Hardware acceleration seems to be either an On or Off per user.

These are helpful with the low RAM mentioned and when on-board graphics are present.

Message 4 of 15
bmadams1234
in reply to: pendean

Pendan,

Thanks so much!!!! great response...covered everything and I can tell you know what your talking about...here is some followup thoughts:

1) "the world is headed towards 64bit and LT0212 is a perfect fit"

I couldn't agree more. I am going to e-mail them this morning and try and better understand why 32bit request. I plan on building the first 2 with 64bit and get them on site running AutoCad Lt 2012-64, I will have a couple of days to look for problems. My only risk if this fails miserably is my time, I will have to rebuild systems with 32 on my dime. After reading this forum,  I was a little worried with the stability/success of AC LT 2012-64. But sounds like you think this is a low risk.

2) "AutoCAD and LT are CPU intensive, 3GHZ recommended: get closer to that number..Multi-cores makes no difference..." I understand, this is mostly driven by budget. The CPU I priced (AMD Phenom II X6 1035T) states that it has a "Turbo Boost" clock speed of 3.1GHz, and http://www.cpubenchmark.net shows it rated as good as most any 3GHz proccessors. The next choice in my price range would be the intel E6600.

"Up the RAM, 4Gig is min" already going to up to 8GB, IF I go Win7-64, I do not believe Win7-32 can use more then 4GB?

3) "I've seen generic ATI graphics cards do well, and I've seen high end graphics cards do well: I've also seen both fail. This remains a mystery to me personally, so wait for others to jump in with recs." Regretfully the budget only allows for a $55 card. After much looking the GT 520 is the best I can do. I have 2 on hand and will test them before buying more. Certainly? these will be better then ANY onboard video...we will see

4) "Do they need 500Gig HD storage ability on each PC?" I understand, but it is sooo hard to find smaller, I wish  had a dozen 160GB drives. I was happy to find these Seagates at 7200rpm....yes, rare do I find a user using more then 60-80GB...its all marketing...

"Do they have a central file server instead?" Yes they do but  have no idea (yet) as to how they manage their data files. My goal would be to get them fully utilizing the file server, I am upgrading their network to GB.

Message 5 of 15
bmadams1234
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Charles,

Thanks, more great recommendations...and yes, I will follow them all....ps i have already upped the RAM to 8GB

Message 6 of 15
pendean

1) See Charlie's comments about turning off Win7's Aero theme and other tips. The only reason for anyone to stay with 32bit is if they run older software (16bit or 8-bit even) or older drivers, or running on very low end hardware (not your strategy from what I can see).

2) Nothing wrong with AMD, I'm a big fan too. My current rig is an AMD. 8Gig RAM.

Message 7 of 15
Charles_Shade

Two points you are right about:

32-bit OS will only use 3 Gigs of RAM

Manufacturers of Hard-drives passed the "sensible" for the average user mark a while ago. Of course the Gen X, Y and Z'ers are scamming movies and such and need it at home so there you go.

Message 8 of 15
bmadams1234

I'm back from shopping 🙂 (Micro Center is the bomb!!)

I did upgrade the CPU one notch (1045T) and a better MB, so maybe I can even overclock. I am building tonight; start looking for Win7-64 tweaks (optimized for AutoCAD).

I will follow-up as it goes.

Message 9 of 15
bmadams1234

OK, 4 Systems built, will deliver today:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T, 6MB L3, 3MB L2, 2.70/3.20GHz Turbo

MB: ASUS M5A97

RAM: Patriot - 8GB (2x1), PC3-10666

HD: 3 Seagate, 1WD 7200rpm, 8MB Cache Sata II

Video: Dedicated GeForce GT 520 with 1GB DDR3

AutoCAD LT 2012 -64bit

AutoCAD LT 2012 64bit

Installed no problem, all smooth rolling curser around, seems fast enough

Win7 -64

No tweaks attempted, yet.

I am thinking about leaving all "as installed" until the AutoCAD LT users I built these for start using them. Seems like the most recomend tweak would be to turn off Aero.

I was also told some of these workstations will be running older AutoCAD LT versions. Not sure which, will lern today...and work on installing them on these new workstations.....hmmmmm

Message 10 of 15
Charles_Shade

Can I get one of those delivered?

Message 11 of 15
bmadams1234

My inlaws live in Hampton, over on the coast from you....I could schedule a visit 🙂

Message 12 of 15
Charles_Shade

I am serious - I do need to replace my system and have looked at one of the big box sellers.

Don't mind supporting the small entrepreneur when I can.

Message 13 of 15
bmadams1234

we can talk about it. my email is bmadams@netzero.com

Looking at your website, I would up the video card and maybe 16GB ram and an i5 cpu

Message 14 of 15
bmadams1234

Systems installed and running great. No problem installing AutoCAD LT 2012-64 and AutoCAD LT 2008-32

I did not have to "tweak" any Win7 settings nor do any overclocking. Customers are very happy.

I do believe this should be a bare base system for AutoCad LT.

Also, both LT 2008-32 and LT 2012-64 ran noticeably faster after installing their SP1 for each.

Message 15 of 15
Charles_Shade

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost