Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2008 requires Administrator Privileges

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1053 Views, 7 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2008 requires Administrator Privileges

I get the following error when trying to launch the application after an administrator has installed it.

Product: AutoCAD LT 2008 - English -- Error :: Installation of AutoCAD LT 2008 requires Administrator Privileges. Please log in with administrator rights before attempting installation of AutoCAD LT 2008.

Can some one ell me what permissions are required to what part of the OS as giving users administrator\power user rights is not possible,
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Network administrator needs to be installing new software, not local admin
or user. My guess that would be you or the boss.

you can't override this requirement if you cannot give it to the user.

--
Dean Saadallah
Add-on products for LT
http://www.pendean.com/lt
--
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Having had a closer look at this autodesk have produced a low-quality package that is a massive security risk.

Nobody has the right to install software at the company I am consulting for, everthing is delvired via SMS or Citrix.

Here is what I have done to get around this problem by creating a transform for the MSI.

1) remove "AdminUser OR ADDDEFAULT OR ACAD_SECONDARY_INSTALL=1" from the launch conditions table.

2) Add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\Licenses\Autodesk Licensing Service to the registry table.

3) Assign Write permissions to the "AutoCAD LT 2008" folder (I am working on locking this down further)

A standard user can use the application with no admin intervention or elevated permissions.

I am just waitng for a serial to test the activation process.

:)
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

I am having the EXACT same problem that is described above, only with AutoCAD. I am a net. tech for a school district, and our little hackers, I mean children have very restrictive accounts.

Ironically it is only AutoCAD that doesn't work. Inventor launches its setup and launches just fine. Autodesk architectural works just fine.

But when the student launches AutoCAD it throws the "you need admin " message.

Can you explain what can be done to get around this in greater detail?

By the way, strangely, if the user first launches AutoCAD, it gives that error, but if they first launch inventor, close it, they can then launch AutoCAD.....
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Take a look at the comments here: http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/detail.asp?id=1014

If you create a transform using wizard and edit it using orca.

You can download orca here if you dont have it: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=58726ACA-8D84-4683-8959-BE0038DA7084&displaylang=en
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Well, here is the funny thing. I think Autocad 08 has a bug in it!

As when i give the students a direct shortcut to acad.exe everything works fine.

If I use the one that is automaticallly installs into the start menu, it points to a folder in the autocad folder that isnt even there, and tries to run a secondary install process. (Which it can't because the user doesn't have admin priv's)
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Does the user have read access to location where the MSI was installed from, if they cannot access read the MSI the repair (secondary) process will fail if any files are needed..
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

I suppose I should tell you all what it was.

Autocad 2008 makes a shortcut in the start menu for all users that doesn't point to acad.exe

If you delete that shortcut that points to a non-existant folder, you can then make a new one, (Pointing it to acad.exe) and it launches just fine with a restricted student user.

I love how this company can't seem to do anything right...

(Inventor cds sent in educatinal ADA pack were bad, Tech support number in the ada pack was a misprint, and this shortcut........)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost