Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad LT 2008: Orientation of drawing in Layout (viewport)

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
bongs2009
5341 Views, 10 Replies

Autocad LT 2008: Orientation of drawing in Layout (viewport)

Need help on the below:

A client gave us a file in which the drawing in model space has an orientation wherein the N is in positive y-axis. But if I go to layout (viewport), the orientation of the drawing is different, N is 45 deg from the x-axis. How does the orientation of a drawing in layout (viewport) changed without changing the original orientation of the drawing in model space?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Charles_Shade
in reply to: bongs2009

By changing the Rotation in the Viewport.

Unlock the Viewport (if it is)

Make the viewport Active in PS (Double clicking inside will do this)

From the dropdown View (easy to find here)

3D Views

Plan View

World UCS

You will need to change the VP Scale and move the Viewport back to where it was.

Lock VP (is you so desire)

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 3 of 11
bongs2009

Thank you for the response. But my concern is how to make the orientation of the drawing in the layout (viewport) different from the model space without altering the original orientation of the drawing in the model space. Thanks.

Message 4 of 11
Charles_Shade

Tools; New UCS; World

Play around with Z at the bottom of the window to see what it does. This can be used to change the Viewport to the angle you want but if I remember when you come back to MS you will need to reset the USC back to World.

Message 5 of 11
bongs2009
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I already played with the UCS and but if I rotate the drawing in the viewport the drawing in the model space is also rotated which is expected. But the file that I have, doesn't. I'm trying to mimic what is on the file which is the orientation of the drawing in model space is different in layout (viewport). Need more help on how to accomplish this setting.

thank you.

Message 6 of 11
Charles_Shade

Please post your file as it seems whoever sent you the file has already corrected the Modelspace view for you

And to be clear:

You have a Viewport in Layout that is 45 deg to Horizontal

You want the Modelspace view to be 45 deg to Horizontal?

or

Do you have a Modelspace view that is Horizontal

And you want a Viewport in Paperspace that is 45 deg to Horizontal?

or

You have rotated entities in a Viewport 45 deg to Horizontal

And you want the Modelspace view to be Horizontal

or

You have entities in Modelspace that are 45 deg to Horizontal

And you want the Viewport in Paperspace to be Horizontal?

These are the only choice you have. The views in MS and PS are either the same or they are not. Generally someone will rotate a Viewport if the entities do not fit a particular Page orientation. When you do this to a Viewport you must go back to MS and change the UCS back to World.

Message 7 of 11
pendean

You do know you can work inside the VIEWPORT without having to "fix" modelspace first, right? Try it, select the viewport then double-click it. It's just like being in modelspace now, except you are in a viewport.

To reset modelspace, UCS command > WORLD option, followed by PLAN command > World option.

How to rotate a viewport's content in a Layout:

- Rotate the  UCS around the Z axis (UCS <enter> Z<enter> <your angle><enter>) then use the PLAN command (plan <enter><enter>)
OR
- Go to a paperspace layout and double click on the Viewport you want to rotate, so you’re in the Viewport. At the command line type in UCS enter, then type Z enter.   Select a point on the bottom right of your base line then select a point to the left of your base line then press enter. Your X axis should now be aligned with the view you want. Now in the command line type Plan then press enter twice. This will rotate your View so that your UCS is now right angles to the screen (same as your view), you just need to scale the view port.
OR
- You can rotate an entire view within a layout viewport by changing the  UCS and using the PLAN command. With the UCS command, you can rotate the XY plane at any angle around  the Z axis. When you enter the PLAN command, the view rotates to match the orientation of the XY plane.

Message 8 of 11
bongs2009
in reply to: pendean

Almost got it but not quite. Please see attached file for reference. The orientation of the drawing in the layout is different from model. Need help on how to make the setting of the layout and how to determine the current angle/rotation of the layout. Also, what is the procedure of deleting unreference xref files. thank you for all the responses.
Message 9 of 11
Charles_Shade

Message 10 of 11
bongs2009

Sorry guys. Here it is. Thanks.

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Perfectly understood! very good explanation. I already know this I just need to refresh my memory. Thanks a lot!Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost