Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2008 - Crash (Freeze) when Using File Menu

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
awolokay
492 Views, 3 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2008 - Crash (Freeze) when Using File Menu

I'm having a problem with AutoCAD LT 2008 freezing when I click on the File menu - there is a pause and then the menu line goes blank/white and the cursor turns to an hourglass. When I go to Program Manager it shows AutoCAD LT 2008 not responding.

I originally installed this program on this computer (Dell Precision T5500 running Windows XP) about eight months ago, with SP1. I used it a lot for a while with no problems. Haven't used the AutoCAD much for a while, although I did use it without problems in Feb this year.

Now a problem as of yesterday - I'm assuming as a result of some sort of Windows update (or maybe a Norton update).

After rebooting and still having a problem, I uninstalled the program and reinstalled with SP1. It worked once. I tried to use it today, and it's freezing/crashing again.

I looked in the Knowledge Base and there's an article about mfc80u.dll causing a problem, but the problem is not exactly as described, and although I have multiple copies of mfc80u.dll on my machine, none of them have the version number that is listed as causing a problem. I also tried setting the number of recently accessed files to 0 and rebooting - still without success.

I called AutoDesk - and happy days, they tell me they don't support 2008 any more - even if I'm prepared to pay, which I am. Why did I pay over a $1000 for something they don't support?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
drjohn
in reply to: awolokay

my 2 cents:

Lose Norton.  It's a headache with ACAD.  Try AVG .... it's free and updated regularly although it has become bloatware recently. Smiley Indifferent

Check this thread out.   There are instructions to fix at the norton website depending on which version you are using.

HTH

Regards,

DJ

Message 3 of 4
Charles_Shade
in reply to: drjohn

I'll agree on the AVG - Seems AVG11 is not nearly as seemless as AVG09 and I thought it was just me.

Message 4 of 4
awolokay
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Brilliant guys! The fix at Norton works - MANY thanks.

For anyone else looking, I repost the link to the Norton fix below:

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20101117124343EN&ln=en_US

And I hear you on getting rid of Norton - I use MicroTrend on my laptop (what it came with from Dell) and didn't have a problem there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost