Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2005 on Windows 7

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
DaveMc19
27217 Views, 9 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2005 on Windows 7

Hi I just want to know if AutoCAD LT 2005 will work on Windows 7 or if theres any patch I can get from Autodesk to allow it work.
I have a small electrical engineering consultancy & purchased this package in 2004 & its more than I need so there is no real need for
me to upgrade to the 2010, Im getting a new computer for myself since my current one is rather slow & would just like to find out now before I tell them which OS to install.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Charles_Shade
in reply to: DaveMc19

Crap shoot. There have been some asking about LT 2000 and LT 2006 recently here. Win 7 apparently has some modes that may allow older software to work. Search a little here and on Google, you may find the right answer. (I've read people getting LT 98 to work on Win XP machines)
Autodesk will not be offering solutions for LT 2005 on current OS's as they consider it an obsolete software about 2 years ago.
Regards, Charles Shade
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Windows 7 Support for Autodesk Products (TS14053691):
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=14053691&linkID=9240617
Win7Pro or Ultimate (not Home or variants of it) with XP-Mode Option seems
to work best for most lower AutoCAD versions, but there are no guarantees.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 4 of 10
socal36

Were you able to find out if AutoCAD 2005 works on Windows 7? Or does anyone else know.

Thanks

Socal36
Message 5 of 10
Livingstones

I got LT 2005 working on Windows 7 (64bit) by right clicking the desktop icon, going to the properties, clicking the "Compatability" tab and setting the compatability mode to Windows XP (SP2).

I hope this helps.
Message 6 of 10
ysas.co.uk

Thanks for the compatibility tip..... buy that man a drink!
Message 7 of 10
TimothyNRAS

I have been using AutoCAD LT 2005 for years on an xp machine.  We have up graded to Windows 7.

Can I upgrade to AutoCD LT 2011?

I have looked all over the Autodesk site and have had not luck finding an answer.

Any help will be appreciated.

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 10
Charles_Shade
in reply to: TimothyNRAS

You can upgrade in the sense that you will have a newer version of LT but you will need to buy a new full seat as upgrade pricing for you gave out about three years ago.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 9 of 10
HrdWrd
in reply to: TimothyNRAS

I got LT 2005 working on Windows 7 (64bit) by right clicking the desktop icon, going to the properties, clicking the "Compatability" tab and setting the compatability mode to Windows XP (SP2).

Works great.

Good luck.

Message 10 of 10
Savage223

(Using Intel Core i5-4460s, 2.9GHz, Windows 7 Enterprise, x64, on "stock" dell flat screens- consumer grade, not a drafting monitor.)

I know this discussion is an old one, but for people out there still looking, I figured I'd offer what I've figured out.  There are still small job shops who occasionally need their older software for various reasons, and need to avoid updating to current versions for the sake of remaining competitive.

You'll notice that previous posters mentioned running the application in compatability mode- one kind or another.

I would suggest that you start with Windows XP Service Pack 3 and try the application.  If this does not work, simply close the app, and change compatability one step backwards (e.g., "older") and continue to check until you find something that works for your system.

Currently, (for the sake of having two monitors), my company has graciously supplied me with two Dell flat screen monitors.  One is listed (in Windows) as a "Digital" monitor, and one without any designation.  (i.e., analog.)  This may be a function of the connection- or a function of the monitor(s), I just don't know at the moment.  

I make mention of the monitors because their settings can easily disrupt the operation of AutoCAD LT 2005, and likely that of others.

For example, the Shortcut Menu (right mouse click, popup window) will NOT display at all; and the  Layers Property Window will also not display when the icon is clicked on the toolbar.  Is is clear to me that the application recognizes the click, and "thinks" a window has opened; but this "invisible window" will not accept input.  (In the form of random clicks- in the vicinity these windows usually open up at.  I was trying to see if this was a pure graphics / GUI problem- or a hardware problem- sometimes what happens after a trial like this can help point you in a different troubleshooting direction- if you're careful and observent.)  These two "missing windows" (or dialog windows, if you prefer,) occur ONLY when I change the "Main Display" from the "analog" monitor to the "digital" one.  

To be clear, I did attempt to change the right mouse click behavior in the TOOLS > OPTIONS > USER PREFERENCES > WINDOWS STANDARD BEHAVIOR > RIGHT-CLICK CUSTOMIZATION menu, every way possible.  The Layers Propery Window cannot be disabled via the application to my knowledge, and is what finally convinced me to start going backwards through the changes I made- which were to take advantage of a wider monitor.

Again, the solution was to change my "Main Display" back to the original one.  

Fortunately, to take advantage of the wider format monitor, I simply drag the application window from the "Main Display" to the secondary one.  (This is allowed when you choose "extend desktop" in Windows, with one or more monitors.)

ok.. I found more information on the monitors.

My #1 Display is to my left, and is NOT SET TO BE THE MAIN DISPLAY.  This display is listed in Windows as a Dell P2212H, set to 1920 x 1080 resolution.  

My #2 Display (Set to be the "Main Display" in Windows) is a Dell P2210, set to 1680 x 1050 resolution.

Windows is set to "Extend these Displays" in the "Multiple Displays" dialog.  (Right click the desktop, pick "Screen Resolution".

(Use of other applications dictates how I have my desk laid out- for the sake of preventing peeking passersby from viewing some of the work I do... which they do not have authority to observe.)  

You can identify which display is set to #1 and which to #2, and these ARE independent of the setting for which is the Main Display.  The "Main Display" is where applications will default to when they first open, including AC.)

I doubt that the problem had to do with resolution, but I suppose it is possible.  Yet, when I drag the application over to use it, it works like it always has (I have my compatibility set to Windows 2000 right now, but it has worked in Windows XP3 AND Windows 7 as well.  The only nagging issue I have is that the Tool Tips show up on the left side of my right screen (#2), when I drag it to the left monitor.  Heck, I sure can deal with that minor issue.

I felt the need to get wordy here, because there have been some random issues, through rare, where my monitor went completely blank (all black) while running AC.  This means that if you have a single monitor, it might appear as though the app won't work at all, and you will give up, (or have given up already).  Borrow a second monitor if you can, and can hook it up, until you work through these issues and get it running right.

I hope this helps someone out there!

-S

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost