Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad Lt 2004 hanging problem

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
jonlamb
219 Views, 12 Replies

Autocad Lt 2004 hanging problem

Hello, I am have a problem with 1 of 4 PC's that we have that run LT2004

It will work fine for a few days but then it will start to hang indefinately when opening. Once it starts hanging, the only way to clear the problem is to re-install and that fixes it for a little bit.

To try and cure the problem, we have wiped the PC, then replaced it. We have deleted and re-created the user off the network several times in case its a profile issue. We have moved the PC onto a different network run with different patch cables / points at each end. It is running Windows XP and the server is running Windows 2003 SBS.

The other workstations have no problems. It seems that we have replaced everything we can but the problem is still occuring just for this person.

I'm dont use autocad myself, i'm a hardware / network guy but I can get any additional information of the cad users if needed.

Thanks
Jon
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
CadManFromHell
in reply to: jonlamb

Mmmmm, since you have formatted, re-installed and re-created everything...you said it goes fine for awhile before its starts to hang again...only with this particular user...Must be something modified by this user and it screw something up...
my 2 cents

::EDIT::

Does he/she use modified .mnu and .pgp files? are they at the right place?
Message was edited by: CadManFromHell
Message 3 of 13
derekagar

"...We have deleted..." - Isn't that murder?
"...and re-created the user..." - Isn't that cloning?
surely both are illegal! ;o)

Seriously, and without knocking the user, that seems the only parameter you haven't changed. What is he/she doing that is different?
What other software is running... how about virus protection/firewalls? Are they set up differently on this machine.
DA
<>< <>< <><
Message 4 of 13
jonlamb

🙂

We've had the same thought about the user but when the problem occurs, she then uses someone elses PC whilst we repair hers. She has used several other PC's for up to a week without having any problems. The last time we took it back, we left the AV software off. As there is no internet or email access, there is no firewall installed on this PC either.

Its very baffling!
Message 5 of 13
jonlamb

Hello,

I will check about the .mnu and .pgp files. Where about should they be located?

Rgrds,
Jon
Message 6 of 13
CadManFromHell

*.mnu and *.pgp are supposed to be here:

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD LT 2004\R9\enu\Support
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Are all the computers identical? Brand name or custom built? What processor, RAM, etc? Which parts have you replaced. I've had obscure problems that turned out to be power supply or motherboard. I've read of similar problems resolved by changing the video card or the video card drivers. Some times it's upgrading to the latest video card drivers that helps, sometimes it's using an older driver. It could also be a RAM problem or a mouse driver problem. Martin jonlamb wrote: > Hello, I am have a problem with 1 of 4 PC's that we have that run LT2004 > > It will work fine for a few days but then it will start to hang indefinately when opening. Once it starts hanging, the only way to clear the problem is to re-install and that fixes it for a little bit. > > To try and cure the problem, we have wiped the PC, then replaced it. We have deleted and re-created the user off the network several times in case its a profile issue. We have moved the PC onto a different network run with different patch cables / points at each end. It is running Windows XP and the server is running Windows 2003 SBS. > > The other workstations have no problems. It seems that we have replaced everything we can but the problem is still occuring just for this person. > > I'm dont use autocad myself, i'm a hardware / network guy but I can get any additional information of the cad users if needed. > > Thanks > Jon
Message 8 of 13
jonlamb

Hello Martin,

All PC's are identical. This one after first being wiped was then swapped with another PC from the network. After the same thing happened again, we replaced the PC with a brand new unit. They are Fujitsu PC's.

Could it be a power issue? We are contemplating installing a UPS on the PC.

Rgrds,
Jon
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

- You've not changed the NIC card on the PC. - You've not explored this user's read-write access to working folders that may not be recreated on other machines. - You don't mention if Digital Signatures is being turned on or have been turned off on this machine. - If the PC has no internet access, are you shutting down commcenter? - Is this machine by chance WinXP sp2 and you do not have all the required access ports open for AutoCAD? Does knocking it down to SP1 help? - What exactly changes after a 'few days'? Perhaps you need to be auditing/watching windows closely around that time, examine logs etc. - Give someone else this machine, does it 'flake' out after a few days? Give this user someone else' machine, does it 'flake' out after a few days? -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 10 of 13
jonlamb

Hello Dean,

The NIC has been changed as the PC has been swapped out twice and this is the 3rd new one.
There are no permissions set on the server folders, its all everyone full control. She has full admin rights to her own PC.
I dont think they are using digital signatures.
I'm not shutting down CommCenter ... would this help?
Machine is SP1
We've swapped PC's and the fault doesnt travel.
Hope this helps.
Rgrds,
Jon
Message 11 of 13
jonlamb

Just an update to this, commcentre is set to 'On Demand'

Rgrds,
Jon
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

The only common factor seems to be the user: I think you have exhausted remote support. Contact your local AUGI group (through an autodesk dealer in your area), see if someone local with AutoCAD and setup experience there might be willing to bug fix on site for a fee. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

If you've swapped PCs and the problem didn't travel that points to the operator and/or customizations. I'd look at the lisp and arx files and other custom routines. Are there any that this operator has that everyone else does not? Another possibility would be client files. Do your operators work for specific clients? It could be that someone is doing something unusual in their files or is using a different cad program that doesn't translate to .dwg properly. As to your question on power, it's always possible that there's a bad connection at a receptacle or some other load that causes an occasional voltage sag, but that's unlikely as a cause of what you've listed, especially if you've changes computers. A good UPS is always a good idea, but I wouldn't count on it to fix this problem. Martin jonlamb wrote: > Hello Dean, > > The NIC has been changed as the PC has been swapped out twice and this is the 3rd new one. > There are no permissions set on the server folders, its all everyone full control. She has full admin rights to her own PC. > I dont think they are using digital signatures. > I'm not shutting down CommCenter ... would this help? > Machine is SP1 > We've swapped PC's and the fault doesnt travel. > Hope this helps. > Rgrds, > Jon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost